Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #1126
Pentaxian

Speaking of DSS, does anyone know how to stop it crashing?
Is there a list of "safe" parameters or something?

09-13-2017, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #1127
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I've found that to keep it going you need to first load your lights, darks, flats, and bias, check them all, then save the file list. Close DSS. Reopen DSS, load your file list, then register images (make sure you don't have stack after registering checked), then do your check above XXX threshold, save changes to the file list, then close. Reopen, open your file list, then stack. That really cuts down on crashes. Then save the picture to file, but have the "don't apply changes" option checked so you get a color file. I think it is the second one.

One more thing, if you manually go through your individual subs and toss out any that aren't good you can use Sequator to stack with no crashes at all. Don't use auto brightness though, because it makes the output file harder to work with. It is my go to when I have super starry fields because DSS chokes on those, even 3.3.6 which is what I use.
09-13-2017, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1128
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose I could post a few examples of stuff I've been doing lately. I dump stuff at instagram.com/scottywbishop too, much more than this stuff.

09-13-2017, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #1129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I've found that to keep it going you need to first load your lights, darks, flats, and bias, check them all, then save the file list. Close DSS. Reopen DSS, load your file list, then register images (make sure you don't have stack after registering checked), then do your check above XXX threshold, save changes to the file list, then close. Reopen, open your file list, then stack. That really cuts down on crashes. Then save the picture to file, but have the "don't apply changes" option checked so you get a color file. I think it is the second one.

One more thing, if you manually go through your individual subs and toss out any that aren't good you can use Sequator to stack with no crashes at all. Don't use auto brightness though, because it makes the output file harder to work with. It is my go to when I have super starry fields because DSS chokes on those, even 3.3.6 which is what I use.
Thank you for your detailed and prompt response. And for the examples - I've only played around with the Milky Way, trying to get the technical aspects down before proceeding further.
The only definite thing I've found out about DSS is that I have to play with the star detection threshold to reduce the number of detected stars; otherwise I'd get a crash. A pity it's not further maintained, and better explained!

I'll check Sequator, thank you for the suggestion.

09-13-2017, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #1130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I suppose I could post a few examples of stuff I've been doing lately. I dump stuff at instagram.com/scottywbishop too, much more than this stuff.
These are great!
09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #1131
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
These are great!
Heh, just wait until I get really good at it.
05-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #1132

Hi!
My new experience with K-1, using "Astrotracer" function.
H-alpha filter, 60 frames 30 sec, 3200 iso, f50\1.7@2.2, with dark and bias frames, pixinsight, lightroom
I took it at Kavkaz mountains (camp near BTA telescope) in April.

---------- Post added 05-22-18 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The point is DSS is a 32bit program and cannot use all yours RAM memory.
I modified .exe file couple of years ago for using more than 4 Gb.
It helps to process RAWs from Pentax crop cameras without crashes but is doesnt help for K-1 and 645 RAWs because it too large.
And DSS is easyest and quickest way to stack photos but its too simple for really good result - you dont have any control. I use now Pixinsight.
Attached Images

05-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #1133
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky IL Quote
Hi!
My new experience with K-1, using "Astrotracer" function.
H-alpha filter, 60 frames 30 sec, 3200 iso, f50\1.7@2.2, with dark and bias frames, pixinsight, lightroom
I took it at Kavkaz mountains (camp near BTA telescope) in April.

---------- Post added 05-22-18 at 01:31 PM ----------

The point is DSS is a 32bit program and cannot use all yours RAM memory.
I modified .exe file couple of years ago for using more than 4 Gb.
It helps to process RAWs from Pentax crop cameras without crashes but is doesnt help for K-1 and 645 RAWs because it too large.
And DSS is easyest and quickest way to stack photos but its too simple for really good result - you dont have any control. I use now Pixinsight.

DSS now has a 64 bit version.

DeepSkyStacker - Free

Also, looking back at the pics I posted in this last I can definitely see I've come a long way.