Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 294 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice composition theodoros1978. What gear (lens + camera) did you use?

11-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #152

its a Pentax K-x with original 18-55mm lens.
11-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #153

Photos: Albums
I finally did it! My first stacked photo! I'm still learning DeepSkyStacker so this isn't perfect but, it's my first time. Also please check out the Group I started on here for all things Astrophotography. Please come share your pictures and wisdom. SEMPER FI!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/gwarmachine-albums-astrophotography-picture34325.jpg
11-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #154
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GWARmachine Quote
I finally did it! My first stacked photo! I'm still learning DeepSkyStacker so this isn't perfect but, it's my first time. Also please check out the Group I started on here for all things Astrophotography. Please come share your pictures and wisdom. SEMPER FI!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/gwarmachine-albums-astrophotography-picture34325.jpg
Nice, there's quite a bit of detail in the galaxy. What lens did you use?

11-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #155

Thank you. I just realized the photo description doesn't show up. Sorry about that. Here are the 'specs.

Pentax K-5, Sigma 70-200APO@200mm f2.8, ISO 1600, 25 one minute exposures stacked with DeepSkyStacker, tracked with AstroTrac. Photoshop to adjust for sharpness.
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

Amazing photo GWM! What's the name of that tracking mount you use again?
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #157

It's called AstroTrac. A very simple device but kinda pricey. I had to make a huge decision; a new telescope with tracking mount, or, a simple very portable tracking tool. Since I'm in the military and move often I went with the AstroTrac. I sometimes regret my decision, thinking for the same price I could had not only a tracking tool but also a brand new scope. But after reading hundreds of reviews and researching for months about different brands, prices, quality, accuracy...There was just so much to think about. So I decided to go with something that is dedicated to photography. Besides, I have a scope that I rarely use and I figure when I retire I'll get a nice big scope and be more experienced with astrophotgraphy by then. Sorry, I know I could've answered your question with just one sentence but I love the AstroTrac and astrophotgraphy has always been a dream of mine; now I'm living it!

11-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #158

Here is the second one I stacked. 33 one minute exposures. I'm still getting used to the controls so I'm not sure if I'm posting the pictures the right way?

Pleiades: Pentax K-5, Sigma 70-200APO@200mm f2.8, ISO 1600, 33 one minute exposures stacked with DeepSkyStacker, tracked with AstroTrac.
11-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #159

Okay, this was my third stacked photo. I know the stars away from the center are seriously distorted. Please someone tell me why. Again, like the Pleiades pic, I know that stopping down the lens makes sharper photos but I don't think that would've changed this distortion. Any help?

Horsehead Nebula: Pentax K-5, Sigma 70-200APO@200mm f2.8, ISO 1600, 25 one minute exposures stacked with DeepSkyStacker, tracked with AstroTrac.
11-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #160
Veteran Member

It's called AstroTrac. A very simple device but kinda pricey. I had to make a huge decision; a new telescope with tracking mount, or, a simple very portable tracking tool. Since I'm in the military and move often I went with the AstroTrac. I sometimes regret my decision, thinking for the same price I could had not only a tracking tool but also a brand new scope. But after reading hundreds of reviews and researching for months about different brands, prices, quality, accuracy...There was just so much to think about. So I decided to go with something that is dedicated to photography. Besides, I have a scope that I rarely use and I figure when I retire I'll get a nice big scope and be more experienced with astrophotgraphy by then. Sorry, I know I could've answered your question with just one sentence but I love the AstroTrac and astrophotgraphy has always been a dream of mine; now I'm living it!
Thanks.. I think it's a worthwhile investment judging by the pictures. I don't recall seeing a O-GPS1 based picture that is anywhere near as good.
11-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Wow! These pictures are unbelievable.. and it's Sigma too....

Let me ask you one more time. Is this the HSM II Sigma? What is the exact name of the lens.. if you don't mind?

Actually, there's some weird coma happening with that lens in the last shot.... ..but all the same totally impressive.
11-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, this was my third stacked photo. I know the stars away from the center are seriously distorted. Please someone tell me why. Again, like the Pleiades pic, I know that stopping down the lens makes sharper photos but I don't think that would've changed this distortion. Any help?

Horsehead Nebula: Pentax K-5, Sigma 70-200APO@200mm f2.8, ISO 1600, 25 one minute exposures stacked with DeepSkyStacker, tracked with AstroTrac.
First of all: Fantastck pictures you are showing us here!!!

Regarding the distorted stars: I believe your polar alignment is a bit off. Then, when you center your stack on your main target, you will experience some field rotation - see more for example here:

Choosing a 35mm camera

But again, gorgeous pictures --- perhaps I do need a K-5 after all......
11-29-2011, 03:32 AM   #163

Yep!

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Wow! These pictures are unbelievable.. and it's Sigma too....

Let me ask you one more time. Is this the HSM II Sigma? What is the exact name of the lens.. if you don't mind?

Actually, there's some weird coma happening with that lens in the last shot.... ..but all the same totally impressive.
Yessum! The very same. It's definitely getting the job done. The only thing I was confused about was the distortion (especially noticeable on the Horsehead pic) but I think that I'm doing something wrong. I've taken pictures before with it and they weren't nearly as bad as that, if at all. Just can't figure out what happened that night. The Andromeda pic was taken the same night so maybe I was out of focus or something was just plain wrong.?.

The AstroTrac is highly underrated. I think a lot of astronomy enthusiasts do not think it's worth the money because they are comparing it to telescopes and mounts that do the same thing. But for me, (and others I'm sure), I wanted the portability and ease of use more than anything. I don't think viewing is as fun as capturing the tiny details. You just can't see that type of detail with your naked eye. I was tired of seeing fuzzy blobs of extremely faint light then looking in a magazine and seeing what it really looks like.
11-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #164

Has anyone here posted pictures from using the O-GPS1? I saw one when I was scouring the internet for details about it, but just one. The only reason I really want one is to not have to deal with polar aligning. As easy as that should be, I think its a pain. But also I know I couldn't expose as long either. I've used the AstroTrac and exposed over three minutes at a time. I wonder what the max focal length to exposure time is with the O-GPS1?
11-29-2011, 03:44 AM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
First of all: Fantastck pictures you are showing us here!!!

Regarding the distorted stars: I believe your polar alignment is a bit off. Then, when you center your stack on your main target, you will experience some field rotation - see more for example here:

Choosing a 35mm camera

But again, gorgeous pictures --- perhaps I do need a K-5 after all......
Sorry I skipped right over your post Stone before I posted the previous statements. Thank you for the comments. I do appreciate the help(any and all I can get). Yeah, I've been getting so frustrated with polar aligning. I know it should be simple but so far I've only done it 3 or 4 times so hopefully I just need a little more experience. Plus that was the very first time I used DeepSkyStacker and some of the instructions are a little vague. Experience is needed! Thank you for the help!!! It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by GWARmachine; 11-29-2011 at 03:47 AM. Reason: added quote