Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
really nice photo

I do like your photo the contrast is fine the star sizes are sharp and round even the reds came out on the nubula.
What kind of mount did you use? The kx performed well.You did a nice job of locating the features on your photo.
Hank

10-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #347
Forum Member

thanks Hank,
I have my scope (and camera) on an orion atlas (Orion Atlas EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount | Orion Telescopes). Here is the picture of the set-up minus the rat's nest of cables.
As far as the locating of the points of interest is the image, the site that I post my astronomy pictures to (www.astrobin.com) has a solver that automatically labels the items in the image.

Last edited by zambonikane; 10-20-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: additional info
10-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zambonikane Quote
thanks Hank,
I have my scope (and camera) on an orion atlas (Orion Atlas EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount | Orion Telescopes). Here is the picture of the set-up minus the rat's nest of cables.
As far as the locating of the points of interest is the image, the site that I post my astronomy pictures to (AstroBin) has a solver that automatically labels the items in the image.
That astro shot is fantastic and your rig is impressive. How do you move it around, is it set up on a dolly or do you take it all apart to move it?.
10-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #349
Forum Member

The kit is pretty heavy (about 100lbs or so - never parted it out) and when I first got it, I would set it up own each it down each night. After a little research, I leaned that it was okay to leave it in the garage (people have dedicated observatories that are not climate controlled) so I would leave it set up the garage. Bear hugging that thing every time I wanted to take it out would take its toll on my back, so I built a dolly out of some scrap plywood and 2x4s and some casters. Every couple of times in and out, I check collimation because of the threshold at my garage door.
Mike

10-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zambonikane Quote
The kit is pretty heavy (about 100lbs or so - never parted it out) and when I first got it, I would set it up own each it down each night. After a little research, I leaned that it was okay to leave it in the garage (people have dedicated observatories that are not climate controlled) so I would leave it set up the garage. Bear hugging that thing every time I wanted to take it out would take its toll on my back, so I built a dolly out of some scrap plywood and 2x4s and some casters. Every couple of times in and out, I check collimation because of the threshold at my garage door.
Mike
Thank`s for the reply. I have been looking at that mount but am undecided, not sure that I would use it enough to justify the cost.
Cheers.
10-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #351
Forum Member

The mount I great, but really opens up with eqmod (check YouTube). I control everything from my netbook and use pktether to control the camera. Someone on here posted a link to both that, and a way to turn dark frame subtraction off so I can shoot for longer that 30 seconds without the camera being out of commission for the following 30+ seconds. With eqmod, I just polar align (with eqmod's help), then open up a planetarium program and control the mount from that. As I slew to more targets, the mounts accuracy improves and usually after 4 or 5 stars, my targets end up right In my crosshairs.
10-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #352
Veteran Member

Took this image of M31 last night with my K5

10-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #353
Veteran Member

with a little more editing I got this as my result from the previous nights image stack.
Attached Images

10-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #354
Forum Member

Dr. Who - which lens/scope did you use to take that shot. I have tried this target through my rig, but my FOV is just too small. Nice shot!
10-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #355
Veteran Member

I used a Orion 8" Newt.

8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes
10-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #356
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
That's simply superb

Paul
10-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot. Do you have the coma corrector?
10-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Nice shot. Do you have the coma corrector?
no I do not. I've ordered one awhile ago but the one I want had been on back order for like 4 months.
I've been told it should be available soon....
10-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How much field coverage do you get before coma becomes objectionable? I'm just curious as I suspect the field of good definition on a f/3.9 system would be pretty tight.
10-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M110 blasts andromeda galaxy M31

Caught this interesting single photo with my K5 and a stellarvue 102ed scope Sunday night. A satellite crossing m31 and the photo stopped at the correct moment.
A single shot at 40 seconds enhanced in photoshop. My next shot (not shown ) shows the satellite coming out the other side.
Hank
Attached Images