Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #1051
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
sadly It was exactly the same for me Stone. G But nice timelapse !

03-25-2015, 04:16 PM - 7 Likes   #1052
Pentaxian

Just realized I never shared this one here. Seems the place to do so.

03-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #1053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simply brilliant, Jody!
04-17-2015, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1054
Pentaxian

Just doing a quick bump.

This photo is junk (I wasn't setting out to snap this, I was just out testing something - my O-GPS1 and my camera both were running out of juice when I walked out so I didn't have much time to play.

When I have a night free I intend to go back out again and see if I can figure out some better settings.

Considering (not counting the camera and astrotracker) it was done with $40 worth of equipment, I'll call it a win.

Auto Sears 300mm, stopped down to f/8 using a cheap Vivitar 3X-22 teleconverter, When I have time to actually seriously play at this, I'll see if I can stop the camera down enough to not have Jupiter blown out.

But seriously - I CAUGHT THE MOONS! Badly, but I caught them!

I think my plan of attack next time will be to simply stop down ever harder on the lens, or try the shot minus the GPS unit so I can get under 10 seconds as an exposure. If I'm blowing highlights (On Jupiter!) then I can simply keep lowering the exposure until I find the sweet spot for the planet.

04-18-2015, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #1055
Veteran Member

Working on the Milky Way now that summer is almost here and it's visible again in California. This was with a K-30, Rokinon 16mm F2 at 2.8, iso 3200, 20sec.. I stacked 4 exp. in deep sky & lightroom and did some bad editing to the trees in photoshop. This was a test set up for Tues/Wed when the Lyrids meteor shower peaks.
Attached Images

04-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #1056
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Just doing a quick bump.

This photo is junk (I wasn't setting out to snap this, I was just out testing something - my O-GPS1 and my camera both were running out of juice when I walked out so I didn't have much time to play.

When I have a night free I intend to go back out again and see if I can figure out some better settings.

Considering (not counting the camera and astrotracker) it was done with $40 worth of equipment, I'll call it a win.

Auto Sears 300mm, stopped down to f/8 using a cheap Vivitar 3X-22 teleconverter, When I have time to actually seriously play at this, I'll see if I can stop the camera down enough to not have Jupiter blown out.

But seriously - I CAUGHT THE MOONS! Badly, but I caught them!

I think my plan of attack next time will be to simply stop down ever harder on the lens, or try the shot minus the GPS unit so I can get under 10 seconds as an exposure. If I'm blowing highlights (On Jupiter!) then I can simply keep lowering the exposure until I find the sweet spot for the planet.

Wow! Without a telescope! I have a friend who did it with a bridge (Canon sx50) and registax software, stacking the best 100 frames out of 200 to sharpen
the image. I think l'd keep the astrotracer running if your exposure time is 1 or 2 sec. On the k-30 the green button toggles between timed exposure on and off. When off, the tracking goes for as long as you presse the shutter so your not limited to the 10 s exposures of the timer.
04-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #1057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendigitize Quote
Working on the Milky Way now that summer is almost here and it's visible again in California. This was with a K-30, Rokinon 16mm F2 at 2.8, iso 3200, 20sec.. I stacked 4 exp. in deep sky & lightroom and did some bad editing to the trees in photoshop. This was a test set up for Tues/Wed when the Lyrids meteor shower peaks.
Very nicely done! I'll have to get that lens.

04-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #1058
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
Wow! Without a telescope! I have a friend who did it with a bridge (Canon sx50) and registax software, stacking the best 100 frames out of 200 to sharpen
the image. I think l'd keep the astrotracer running if your exposure time is 1 or 2 sec. On the k-30 the green button toggles between timed exposure on and off. When off, the tracking goes for as long as you presse the shutter so your not limited to the 10 s exposures of the timer.
Unfortunately, the thing has a minimum exposure time of 10 seconds. My options are to cram the exposure down entirely and shoot at a low ISO, or go the opposite way and see what happens. I suspect the O-GPS may actually not be up to the task here.
04-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #1059
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, the thing has a minimum exposure time of 10 seconds. My options are to cram the exposure down entirely and shoot at a low ISO, or go the opposite way and see what happens. I suspect the O-GPS may actually not be up to the task here.
Have you ever considered the "black hat trick"? That's how we did it in ye olden days: Cover the lens with a black hat (or similar) - open lens - remove the hat for a couple of seconds - cover the lens again - disengage shutter.

OK, we did that to reduce the effects of mirror vibration, but it should be a workaround for your problem too?

But, anyway, you're giving yourself something of a task: This month, the magnitude of Jupiter is around -2.4 while the magnitudes of the Galilean moons are around the limit of naked eye visibility - i.e.: Around +5 to +6. That's quite a dynamic range!

You would probably be better off planning to make a composite image, similar to this:

(Click to see large 100% crop).

This is a composite of two images that I took with a small telescope with an effective focal length of 2900mm.
04-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #1060
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Have you ever considered the "black hat trick"? That's how we did it in ye olden days: Cover the lens with a black hat (or similar) - open lens - remove the hat for a couple of seconds - cover the lens again - disengage shutter.

OK, we did that to reduce the effects of mirror vibration, but it should be a workaround for your problem too?

But, anyway, you're giving yourself something of a task: This month, the magnitude of Jupiter is around -2.4 while the magnitudes of the Galilean moons are around the limit of naked eye visibility - i.e.: Around +5 to +6. That's quite a dynamic range!

You would probably be better off planning to make a composite image, similar to this:

(Click to see large 100% crop).

This is a composite of two images that I took with a small telescope with an effective focal length of 2900mm.
Heck, I'd be happy just being able to distinguish the bands. . I'm not expecting any great quality, but its a fun idea to pursue.
04-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #1061
Veteran Member

Heck, I'd be happy just being able to distinguish the bands. . I'm not expecting any great quality, but its a fun idea to pursue.
I've tried it with the original Q and Q-K adaptor a couple of years ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/212387-astro-q-club-5.html#post2365594

Jupiter exposure was OK at ISO200 1/60 s f6.8 (which is wide open on DA*300 w/ 1.7x AFA) Focal length 510mm
It moves so fast and hard to keep in the Q's view (framing is equivalent to FL of 2850mm)

The completely blown out Jupiter (magnitude: -1.56) with visible moons, Io (+6.2), Callisto(+6.79), Ganymede(+5.8) was taken a 1/5 s ISO1600.
- Europa was hidden on that day 26/4/13.

I've never tried it with the K-5 and OGPS combo as I figured it would be too fast for astrotracer with 300mm+
If the minumum is 10sec then it'd still likely blow out even at ISO80
04-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #1062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single shot. I locked the exposure of the planet and brought up levels in PS till the moons were visible.
Shot with a 900mm f 7.5 refractor, 1/100" ISO 80.
Attached Images

04-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #1063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Summer constellations are headed our way! Here's the top part of Scorpio with Saturn (the brightest object upper right). Pretty happy with the result especially since from here that part never rises more than 20° above the horizon.

Pentax K-30 with smc Pentax-A 50 mm f/1.4 @ f/2.5. 6 X 80s iso 1000. Guided with Pentax astrotracer function of O-GPS1
Stacked with DeepSky Stacker and treated in PSE11 with Topaz Adjust and Clarity
04-21-2015, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #1064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just processed another shot from last Sunday and realized there is just enough overlap between the two photos for the photomerge to work.

04-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #1065

Soon I will try some astrophotography somewhere on a field, but I'm afraid not to ruin it. My widest lens the 18-135, so the iso will be high.
I understand that you can do some star trails with the bright multi-exposure option, but it's better to shoot every photo individual, right?
I also want a Milky Way time lapse, but we will see if I can do it.
The battery is not the strong point of K3 so changing it after it drains is not an option?