Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 294 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #1141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I'd tried the 560mm at 15". Subsequently, I read about "the 500 rule", which would suggest that the shutter speed should be .89". Sounds like that's not going to be possible.

I did do the "calibrate the camera" procedure, but I did it indoors, and the instructions that @slartibartfast01 pointed me to suggest that could be the cause of the problems. I'll start over from scratch with a different lens, I reckon. I'm thinking a 150-400 zoom. Couldn't try it this morning - clouds coming in.

I've read all sorts of wildly varying camera settings used by people who, by their photographs, clearly know what they're doing, and it finally occurred to me that astrophotography is as wide a field as landscape. Some people want little dots. Some want dots with trails, some want a whirlpool effect with the dots. Others want to see really distant things close up. I'm more in the latter category, but I'm beginning to think I don't have the equipment for that.

Oh, well, summer ain't quite over here, yet, so maybe I'll just take the 560 to the beach for some daylight pictures.
I think once calibrated well you "might" get 10 seconds with your 560mm. On a K1 you might even get 15 seconds. My experience is on an APS-C camera.

09-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #1142
Unregistered User

I was in too much of a rush when I posted that last -

the "rule of 500" doesn't apply w/astrotracer, and I should have made that distinction - I've tried it both ways.

there is no "fine calibration" on the K-1 that I can detect - under the GPS menu item, it only gives one option for calibration. I've pretty much re-done the calibration thing every time I've tried to use the astrotracer function. Since there's no way to tell how well that's been done, I figure I have to rely on the camera's word for proper completion of the process when it says, "OK".

tried it again this morning with the 150-400 at 150mm (just as well, since the thing collapses on itself due to gravity when you point it upwards), 15" @800 ISO, f/8.0. Still getting streaks, not dots. Also tried it at ISO up to 3200 and for up to a minute and a half. Gets brighter, but streaks is streaks.

One thing I'd note is that this stuff worked before, though I'd only tried it with an 11mm lens. Then I sent it to Precision for repair because it wasn't focusing correctly. Got it back and now astrotracer doesn't work. Any possibility that some adjustment to the sensor location may have interfered with its movement in the camera?
09-27-2019, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #1143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I was in too much of a rush when I posted that last -

the "rule of 500" doesn't apply w/astrotracer, and I should have made that distinction - I've tried it both ways.

there is no "fine calibration" on the K-1 that I can detect - under the GPS menu item, it only gives one option for calibration. I've pretty much re-done the calibration thing every time I've tried to use the astrotracer function. Since there's no way to tell how well that's been done, I figure I have to rely on the camera's word for proper completion of the process when it says, "OK".

tried it again this morning with the 150-400 at 150mm (just as well, since the thing collapses on itself due to gravity when you point it upwards), 15" @800 ISO, f/8.0. Still getting streaks, not dots. Also tried it at ISO up to 3200 and for up to a minute and a half. Gets brighter, but streaks is streaks.

One thing I'd note is that this stuff worked before, though I'd only tried it with an 11mm lens. Then I sent it to Precision for repair because it wasn't focusing correctly. Got it back and now astrotracer doesn't work. Any possibility that some adjustment to the sensor location may have interfered with its movement in the camera?
There should be "calibration" under the GPS menu and "Precise Calibration" under the Astrotracer menu. You need to do both.

09-27-2019, 06:45 PM - 9 Likes   #1144
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since this is still going I suppose I can give a few newer examples. I've improved a little.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
K-1 Mark II  Photo                       
09-28-2019, 04:47 AM   #1145
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
There should be "calibration" under the GPS menu and "Precise Calibration" under the Astrotracer menu. You need to do both.
Ah, so, desu-ka? Thank you very much!
10-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #1146

I have dabbled in this for a while and would suggest that you look into the Star Adventurer from Skywatcher, hereStar Adventurer Pro Pack ? Sky-Watcher.

This will allow you to track and also produce time-lapse videos. It is easy to set up and use.
10-01-2019, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #1147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since this is still going I suppose I can give a few newer examples. I've improved a little.
Mate these are incredible shots!

10-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #1148
Veteran Member

That is some stunning work! Can I ask for your astrophotography rig? It has to be a equatorial mount and telescope?
10-04-2019, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #1149
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Mate these are incredible shots!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
That is some stunning work! Can I ask for your astrophotography rig? It has to be a equatorial mount and telescope?
It is multiple rigs. Check the astrobin link in my signature and most of these should be on there.
10-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #1150
Pentaxian

Can anyone recommend some reading materials for astrophotography? I'd like to try it this summer. Thanks
10-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #1151

The images are stunning. I wish that I knew more about the equipment and procedures used.
10-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #1152
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Can anyone recommend some reading materials for astrophotography? I'd like to try it this summer. Thanks
The Cloudy Nights forum is where I learned a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
The images are stunning. I wish that I knew more about the equipment and procedures used.
The equipment and total amount of exposures is different for each, but I have that info on my Astrobin link in my signature. For processing I generally use DSS (free) to stack, and Photoshop to process. It's kind of an art to do it.
10-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #1153
Pentaxian

The Cloudy Nights forum is where I learned a lot.

The equipment and total amount of exposures is different for each, but I have that info on my Astrobin link in my signature. For processing I generally use DSS (free) to stack, and Photoshop to process. It's kind of an art to do it.
Thank you VoiceOfReason. I'll mark this thread.
10-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #1154

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Good link, nice images.
"Lens: Astro-Physics 130EDT f/8 Triplet Apochromatic Refractor "
And what is the current street on the new replacement for that AP triplett?. Cause I would not mind having one.
Money talks.
They do not make that particular version any longer, but they go for about $5,500 used.
10-09-2019, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1155
Pentaxian

The only one I've done with my K3ii

I think it was 90s for the stars (just one photo with astrotracer, no stacking), and another one for the background, I'm not very good to join the two after, but here it is :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo