Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #1171
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I was trying to use a Pentax 150-450mm lens on a K-1 to take pictures of stars, and discovered it was impossible, at least unless one wished to do so at the minimum focal length. The telescoping part collapses when you point that lens upward. I've invented a highly technical and advanced solution to that problem, though - a couple of those long rubber bands that keep file folders together, doubled over and looped over the moving part of the lens body, and scrunched down all the way tightly with the focal length set to 450. (Technical term, "scrunched".)

Any other solutions come to mind?
I would have done the same.

12-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #1172

Photos: Albums
Lovely photos!

What does everyone use to know where the Milky Way will be? Any cellphone apps?
12-17-2019, 11:47 PM   #1173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NotMyFatDog Quote
Lovely photos!

There are quite a few. I use an old version of Stellarium on Android but there are many others.

12-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #1174
Pentaxian

another MW pano K-1 cosina 24/f2.8 macro

12-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #1175

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
There are quite a few. I use an old version of Stellarium on Android but there are many others.
Thank you, I've used Sky Map and could never see it, but perhaps the nights I had checked weren't matching up with the Milky Way. I was just hoping to see what others used.
12-21-2019, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #1176
Veteran Member

Lovely photos!

I love PhotoPills.

The AR mode is awesome when you are on site to plan your shot in the day and the Planner is great to do general planning when looking for locations.

---------- Post added 12-21-19 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Can anyone recommend some reading materials for astrophotography? I'd like to try it this summer. Thanks
I wrote up this slideshow last summer for a presentation to a photography group. It is focused on Nightscapes instead of just star images, so I am not sure if this would help or not.

If you do read it, please send feedback.

Intro to Nightscape Photography - Google Slides
12-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #1177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I wrote up this slideshow last summer for a presentation to a photography group. It is focused on Nightscapes instead of just star images,
Very neat presentation, your nightscapes are really really good. Seems it would be a fun presentation to watch. The only thing I didn't see in your presentation is how you go about actually stretching your histogram and how you make those nice colors pop like that but depending on your audience you may not want to go into that much detail. I'm also curious as to why you don't use the astrotracer instead of stacking?

12-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #1178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
Very neat presentation, your nightscapes are really really good. Seems it would be a fun presentation to watch. The only thing I didn't see in your presentation is how you go about actually stretching your histogram and how you make those nice colors pop like that but depending on your audience you may not want to go into that much detail. I'm also curious as to why you don't use the astrotracer instead of stacking?
So Astrotracer has issues with very wide lenses. The edges will streak while the center will be good. My current nightscape lens is the Pentax 15-30.

For instance, I tend to take 13 second shots for my images when I do a single shot or stack.

If I do Astrotracer, I can get close to 30 seconds before the streaking becomes an issue. I have done smaller stacks w/ 30 second shots using Astrotracer.

But not a 5 minute shot at ISO 800.

I plan on this winter to shoot Orion and the Pleiades using a 135mm lens and will use long Astrotracer shots to see how that works.
12-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #1179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
Stretching the Histogram is via high ISO. I will make sure the guide makes that point better.

On the Post Processing, that in itself is another series of guides. And I still am working on my post processing skills.

This is my favorite type of photography and I am already planning my locations for 2020.
12-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #1180
Pentaxian

Lovely photos!

The Milky Way runs through the width of the "W" of Cassiopeia, so can be easily found at most times of the year in the Northern hemisphere. You'll need to use your local star charts to figure out where Cassiopeia will be in the sky and at what orientation for your viewpoint, depending on the time of night and the time of year. With this information you can check out prospective skyline silhouettes etc. during the day and figure out at what time of night/year would be most optimal for any particular site. Remember to consider potential sky-glow from distant conurbations, a good old-fashioned map and compass can help here Then ... just hope for clear skies

Good luck!

---------- Post added 12-26-19 at 02:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I wrote up this slideshow last summer for a presentation to a photography group. It is focused on Nightscapes instead of just star images, so I am not sure if this would help or not.

If you do read it, please send feedback.

Intro to Nightscape Photography - Google Slides

Great slideshow, very instructive ... quick feedback ... there's a word missing in the last paragraph of the slide headed "Rule of 400/500/600", slide #33 ... I'm sure you just left that out to see if anyone was actually reading it
12-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #1181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Great slideshow, very instructive ... quick feedback ... there's a word missing in the last paragraph of the slide headed "Rule of 400/500/600", slide #33 ... I'm sure you just left that out to see if anyone was actually reading it
I plead the 5th on that. Thanks for the feedback.
12-29-2019, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #1182
Forum Member

Milky Way house

Shot this in Lion’s Head Ontario.
Attached Images

12-29-2019, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1183
Forum Member

Milky Way trees

Also shot this in Lion’s Head Ontario.
Attached Images