Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #1

K-m model - grainy photos

I have a Pentax k-m DSLR. It is about 1-1/2 years old. Took great photos for first year or so. Lately all photos have come out grainy. Usually solid colors are the worst. Like the sky or background of trees. Any suggestion as to what the problem may be? I attached a photo taken the other day on the automatic sports setting. Usually use the auto settings.

Attached Images

09-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bet you the ISO is set to a high setting- could you please re-post the photo with exif data embedded?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like you are not using the lens hood, as it looks like vignetting at the corners; or may be the way you are holding the camera/lens. Check the iso setting on the camera.
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Looks like you are not using the lens hood, as it looks like vignetting at the corners; or may be the way you are holding the camera/lens. Check the iso setting on the camera.
Having done the same thing myself, I'd say the vignetting is simply that he/she's shooting through a chain-link fence.

And I'll throw in a vote for "Check the ISO sensitivity", too.

09-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sports mode no doubt increases the ISO to get a higher shutter speed. And, yeah, that's fence, not vignetting.
09-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Having done the same thing myself, I'd say the vignetting is simply that he/she's shooting through a chain-link fence.

And I'll throw in a vote for "Check the ISO sensitivity", too.
That explains..
09-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sports mode no doubt increases the ISO to get a higher shutter speed. And, yeah, that's fence, not vignetting.
Good catch, didn't notice the sports mode reference.

09-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While sports mode would indeed be likely to push ISO higher higher given the chance, the OP says they usually use Auto, and I assume they have the issue there too. So I'd say they either inadvertently set a high ISO, or else set the Auto ISO range to be unnecessarily higher. Without the EXIF in the photo, it's hard to say, but at the posted size, the picture doesn't actually look particularly noisy to me. I'm sure it looks worse viewed at 100%. But I'll guess that's actually only ISO 400.
09-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #9

I have a K-m and when my ISO is set to auto it usually jumps up to 800-1000. I always switch it to 200-400 and I never really have a problem with noise. If you have your camera set to Auto then you probably just have the ISO set to that as well.
09-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I never let my KM auto choose the ISO. I pretty much always keep it set to 200 unless I'm doing some action or something like that. If it's a really sunny day I'll set it to 100. I also found that it would start to auto-choose unnecessarily high ISOs.