Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

100D Part

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm trying to find a part for my 100D. I believe the part is called a "Translucent Screen" that sits opposite of the mirror inside the camera. Stupidly, I tried to remove it with a small screwdriver and the blade ran down this part and scratched it. I know it won't effect the images, but it looks really bad when looking though the viewfinder. I've looked on Pentax's site but I can't seem to find anything on ordering parts. I did find the phone number of 800-877-0155 but they probably won't be open until Tuesday. Thanks for any help.

09-03-2010, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I read it correctly, I think you mean "focus screen" for the viewfinder. That is a replaceable part. And you can get it genuine Pentax one or a clone one from fleabay.
09-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If I read it correctly, I think you mean "focus screen" for the viewfinder. That is a replaceable part. And you can get it genuine Pentax one or a clone one from fleabay.

Is that the little plastic piece inside the camera?
09-04-2010, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes. It's a little rectangular piece of translucent plastic about the size of your thumbnail. On the Pentax site, you'll see they actually sell several different models, with different patterns of lines etched in. I think even the official ones are probably available form B&H or Adorama as well, but as mentioned, there are also third party copies that should probably work well.

09-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Great help.

I found them on eBay. What would be the difference between the 45 degree and the 180 degree other than 135 degrees? Difference between split and dual\double? What might have come stock with the camera?

Edit; After looking through some posts and reviews on here, I bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-45-Focusing-Screen-Pentax-K200D-KM-O5O2-/33039244...item4cecec9cce

If I don't like it, I'll look into maybe a Katzeye.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mike_s104; 09-04-2010 at 10:07 PM.
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I just received the new one and installed it. Not as happy as I hoped. It's not dirty and is installed correctly. There appear to be circles or bubbles on the screen. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mike_s104 Quote
It's not dirty and is installed correctly. There appear to be circles or bubbles on the screen.
Not so quick....

Some focus screens are shipped with protective plastic sheets attached to either side.

See if your screen has them. The plastic sheets need to be removed before installation.

09-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Not so quick....

Some focus screens are shipped with protective plastic sheets attached to either side.

See if your screen has them. The plastic sheets need to be removed before installation.
That was removed. It was not touched without the little finger rubber things (only on the edge) and the plastic tweezers using the tab.

I've looked on Pentax site and it's almost as bad a Microsoft's. Anyone able to tell me where to order it from their site?
09-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The circles/bubbles wouldn't be the normal microlens array that's part of all DSLR screens, would it? The thing that kind of looks like a big fingerprint when looking through the viewfinder?
09-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The circles/bubbles wouldn't be the normal microlens array that's part of all DSLR screens, would it? The thing that kind of looks like a big fingerprint when looking through the viewfinder?
No, they were not there with the original. Like I said, you get what you pay for. I went back through the review on here that I read before and looking at the pictures taken with similar screens and they look close to what I have. I've come to accept it since it doesn't effect the pictures.

I also had some dust\dirt on the sensor which after doing some more reading on here, figured out how to CAREFULLY clean it. After cleaning it, it looks about right from what I can tell.

All of this started with changing lenses on a plane with the blower\air vent on. It must have blown dust and dirt into the camera. I won't do that again.

Thanks again to everyone on here. I've had great help from all and have learned a lot.