Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

New Pentax K-X

Well got my camera the other day and pretty pumped about it. Any tips on taking nice closeups of my saltwater tank lots of movement in tank.

Will post some of them as I go.

Thanks in advance, also I have the camera and the two stock lenses in the kit.

09-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a polarizer to kill any reflections. Beyond that, I'm out of suggestions. Enjoy your new camera!

09-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

k-x is probably the best camera for taking photos of fishtank as you can bump up iso setting without using flash to get decent shutter-speed.
09-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Aleon3 got a good tip: avoid using the flash to prevent any reflection from the tank wall.

I would suggest to use a fast prime lens: that is, a lens with a large aperture (or low f) like a f1.4. The advantage of a fast prime is to allow you to use a faster shutter speed without bumping to high the ISO. One issue to keep in mind is the shallow DOF at short distance, but it may add some nice touch to your shots.

Enjoy your camera and post some shots....

09-04-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Press your lens as close to the glass as you can
. And turn off all excess light in the room, to kill unwanted reflections.
09-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

no flash, and quick shutterspeed. do what you have to do to get that quick shutter speed!

the above pic isnt perfect. "DOrthy" (if you have kids you know Dorthy from Elmo's world, ha ha) is always moving and carrying on. I "stopped" her with a high shutterspeed (which for me meant high ISO)

you can also use a "panning" technique (hope I spelled it right) and follow the fish as it moves with the camera...

on a kinda off topic note, I would love to see your saltwater fish. someday we may go to saltwater. I love the fish and live coral!
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips will post some shots....
09-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Aquarium trick #1: Use a soft rubber lens hood. Press against the glass to reduce ambient light.
Aquarium trick #2: Put glass beaker over lens. Poke down into the water, shooting from above.
Aquarium trick #3: Submerge water-tight P&S into fishtank after setting timer. Repeat as needed.
Aquarium trick #4: Remove a fish from tank, put in water-filled clear tumbler or bowl; light well.

09-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
anthony

Question

How does the K-x compare to the K20D for overall image quality and reproduction?
09-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #10

I have been trying to get a good picture of my Mandarin Dragonet for ages and hes always hides, moves to fast or my camera just picks up the gunk in the water... If you find a good trick, let me know!