Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #1

K10D took a flying leap :( 2 questions

Hi,

I've had a K10D since about 2007 and have loved it.

Unfortunately on my last trip i was a bit too adventurous at the edge of a path. The ground gave way and i decided it was better to let go of my Pentax and to grab a tree branch than to save the camera and fall the 15ft onto rocks and into the river myself.

Lesson: Don't be an idiot, be more careful and put the strap over my head!

However i am now not sure what to do.

Question 1: Is the K10D going to be a complete write off or is there some clever boffin that could fix it so I could sell it / use it? - after it had a long time to dry when i turn it on there is nothing. The outer casing is cracked in two places but other than that it doesn't seem to be in as bad shape visually as I thought it would be.

Question 2: What camera should I get next???

About me
In terms of glass I have got a Zenitar wide angle (fish eye), a FA-J 75-300mm and a very old 50mm prime (luckily it was the kit lens that died with the camera).

I generally take landscapes and pictures of scenery whilst my wife and I are out walking and take pictures of birds, animals, insects, flowers etc etc. (I confess i generally shoot in idiot mode but do play with shutter / exposure and apeture and must have the flexibilty)

I also take pics and video at weddings / other events we go to.

Lastly I tend to take loads of pics and video with my iphone / P&S / HD camera when out and about with friends and I love messing around with the artistic effects of the iphone apps (the one that does retro pics)

Option 1: I instinctively thought I'll go get the K-7 as I have Pentax Glass, but I thought i'd wait to see what the new cameras pentax announces in september are?.

I can see I can get the k7 in the uk for about 650-700 and use my existing lenses.

Option 2: I have looked at some reviews of the Olympus PEN E-P2 and have heard that a novoflex adapter can mean I could use my Pentax lenses?

I can get the camera, kit lens and viewfinder for about 780-800 but i presume the novoflex is about 200 bringing the total to 1000. It feels that it shouldnt cost more than the k7 but does?

I like the idea of having a smaller camera as I tended to leave the Pentax around my neck through a walk which is quite wearing.

I guess I could sell my pentax glass but am not too sure if thats the right way to go?

Option 3: Open to any suggestions?

09-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Too bad about the camera. You could certainly sell the camera "as is" on the marketplace. Someone may be interested in it, if you price it low enough. I am sure it would be pretty expensive to send to Pentax to fix.

As far as your two options, it sounds to me like you really would rather have a Kx or the kx sequel. You want something that is smaller, that you can use existing lenses with. The PEN cameras are nice, but tend to auto focus slowly and crop your lenses even more than you get on an APS-C sensor. Speaking of auto focus, you wouldn't be able to use auto focus with any of your pentax lenses on a PEN either.

Anyway, unless you really need two control wheels, weather sealing, or the advanced video options on the K7, I think the Kx would fit your needs better (and maybe leave a little extra for a DA limited).
09-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Rondec,

The whole AA battery thing had put me off the k-x but if i put that aside then it does save me a-lot of money and would be better than my old K10D.

Apparently the new update for the PEN has significantly improved the autofocus but I take your point that my lenses may get cropped alot more and may not serve as good a purpose on the PEN... I guess the fisheye would be not as wide but my tele would have more range ? anyone have experience of the pen with the novoflex?

Im thinking the K-x is probably the better option but am still thinking on the PEN and will see what pentax release in the coming week or so, if anything.