Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dirty sensor begone

I've just wet cleaned my K-7 sensor. No amount of blowing would get this little bugger off. This is the second time I have done it, did it a few years ago on my *istDs.

I'm posting this as it really is easy and I encourage all but the most timid or shakey to do it rather than getting a shop to do it. The cost of the gear for me was about the same as one professional clean, but now I've used it twice I've already saved my self the cost of one clean!

I used a bottle of "Sensor Clean" (tm) and a Visible Dust swab (from pack of 12), and followed the instructions - easy as.

Just do it.

09-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So this particular product: Amazon.com: VisibleDust Visible Dust Sensor Clean 15ML - VisibleDust 22912051: Electronics ?

Good to know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

IMO. you can't beat a wet clean!

I've been doing it for years and its worked great(never let me down).
I honestly don't understand why so many companies and people spend so much time and effort trying to clean with alternate methods only to find it either doesn't work or makes things worst in the end tbh.

PS. I use 17mm sensor swabs + solution to clean my mirrors also.
09-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #4

Yes, wet clean works. I use items from Photographic solutions on the K10d/K7.

09-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax has its own sensor cleaning kit, the O-ICK1, it's that good that LEICA is using it in their own factory to clean sensors while assembling them in the body. As it is designed for Pentax sensors, so why using something else?
09-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Pentax has its own sensor cleaning kit, the O-ICK1, it's that good that LEICA is using it in their own factory to clean sensors while assembling them in the body. As it is designed for Pentax sensors, so why using something else?
I used this product in the past though it would not remove a small stain on my sensor. However the biggest problem I had with it was the price and the lack of re-usability. ie. a bottle of Eclipse sensor cleaner can be used for many applications(25 times or more), so all that's needed are more swabs which are relatively cheap.

Having said that, my kit didn't remove a small spot on my sensor. It wasn't dust or debris. but more of a faint blemish that would appear in bright regions of my images. A first wipe reduced it, and a second pass eliminated it.
09-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yep, I'd say that's the one, though my bottle is white, but a few years old now.
09-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I used this product in the past though it would not remove a small stain on my sensor. However the biggest problem I had with it was the price and the lack of re-usability. ie. a bottle of Eclipse sensor cleaner can be used for many applications(25 times or more), so all that's needed are more swabs which are relatively cheap.

Having said that, my kit didn't remove a small spot on my sensor. It wasn't dust or debris. but more of a faint blemish that would appear in bright regions of my images. A first wipe reduced it, and a second pass eliminated it.
The O-ICK1 kit can be used for a long time, as long as there is one of these sticky papers left. I have mine for about two years now and I still have half of the lot not used, tough I am changing them every time. I am shooting exclusively with primes, thus switching lenses all the time, carefully...

09-06-2010, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

The O-ICK1 kit can be used for a long time, as long as there is one of these sticky papers left. I have mine for about two years now and I still have half of the lot not used, tough I am changing them every time. I am shooting exclusively with primes, thus switching lenses all the time, carefully...
+1

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-se...ml#post1128045

09-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yep, I'd say that's the one, though my bottle is white, but a few years old now.
I've used that recently as well. I did have to use two different Visible Dust products to get my K-x sensor clean, though. Some work better on oily gunk and some work better on water-based stains. I don't know what happened on my Spanish trip. I wouldn't even say that the stains in Spain were mainly on the plain.
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tiltman Quote
Yes, wet clean works. I use items from Photographic solutions on the K10d/K7.
I have their survival kit. Used it once so far with good results after a very dusty and dirty camping trip. Their stuff looks like it's the least expensive that has good reviews as far as I can tell.

Last edited by mattb123; 09-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.
09-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Jeff: Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This topic and my ridiculously dirty sensor tempted me to try some testing. Quite by coincidence the visible dust wet cleaning stuff was the only one I could get today. Here are the results. I'd say that visible dust wet cleaning is the clear winner.

Taken before cleaning. Same part of the sensor, but different focus points on the piece of paper (ie I swivelled the tripod around a bit to verify dist spots, and these are crops of the same few 100 pixels in one corner)

This is after using an "arctic butterfly". This splendidly named device is a very fine brush + battery power rotater. You let it do its thing for 30 seconds to build up charge then stroke it over the sensor to remove the goop. The charge + brush theoretically pick up the dust and make the sensor clean. Works, but not 100%.

This is using the visible dust wet cleaning stuff. I'd say we're almost there, and it's better than a dry clean.

According to the manufacturer the butterfly is supposed to get goop, but the liquid cleaner gets water based stains and there's another liquid "smear away" for oil based stuff.
09-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote

According to the manufacturer the butterfly is supposed to get goop, but the liquid cleaner gets water based stains and there's another liquid "smear away" for oil based stuff.
My limited experience was that I needed both the smear and the water based cleaning to get it "perfect."
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Same for me but I have to say that since I use the K-7 I never used it anymore. And for the K-x I get sometimes a spot or two easily removable with a small rocket blower. And I of course change lenses all the time.

BTW do you have any reference about Leica using this kit?