Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Problem with my K7's autofocus

I noticed while taking photo's the other day at Disney, that my camera would refuse to lock focus on many of the normal contrast scenes. At home today I experimented with my camera, and found it won't lock focus when the focal length is set anywhere under 28mm about 80% of the time. If I zoom into 30 and above it seems fine. My lens is the DA 18-55mm WR. I also have the DA 55-300, and that works fine at any focal length. So is my problem in the lens or body? Strange thing is it seems to work indoors in artificial light. Go figure.

09-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How dark is it indoors? Keep in mind that the image resolution is lower at wider focal lengths, and that if there's not much light, that might slow the AF system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also it could be possible that two or more objects are falling into the same AF point area you've selected. (the square is just a guide, but the point itself I think encompasses a slightly larger area?

Or if you have it on "auto select" it may be having trouble deciding what point(s) to use, so if that's the case I would suggest selecting the focus point.
09-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Also it could be possible that two or more objects are falling into the same AF point area you've selected. (the square is just a guide, but the point itself I think encompasses a slightly larger area?

Or if you have it on "auto select" it may be having trouble deciding what point(s) to use, so if that's the case I would suggest selecting the focus point.
It does it on point or multi point in very decent light. I will call Pentax and see what they say. I'm sure something went. Ticks me off.

Last edited by Tony3d; 09-05-2010 at 06:34 PM.