Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

newer film slr lens... dslr camera... ?

I know all pentax lens ever made fit pentax cameras. BUT they are mostly manual use. These newer SLR film cameras, would the lenses be automatic focus?

like this camera for instance:

(not that I actually want this lens, but just curious)

Thanks!

09-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes.

09-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentax AF lens will work with the K-x, except the Pentax-AF 35-70. But you know about that one already.
09-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok.. I kinda thought so but was scared to assume

as always guys, thanks!

09-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mote there are two specific exceptions to the backward compatible concept

There was a camera, the ME-F in the early 1980's and a single AF lens that are not supported and the power zoom functions of some of the lenses in the early 1990's
09-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, there's also the issue of SDM-only lenses not focusing on pre-SDM bodies. Not an issue for anyone with a current camera model.

Aside from that, WYWISYG. If it's an AF lens, and you have an AF camera, then the lens will AF on your camera. If the lens supports autoexposure, it will support exposure on your camera.
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lowell, yes I have the 35-70 from the MEF, so I have learned about that one!

Marc, thanks. I am not interested in autoexposure. Lovin Manual to get the perfect exposure for the situation, but with my toddler, it would be nice to have a prime lens that was autofocus... dont want you guys thinkin I want the camera to do the work for me though Just really hard getting that important toddler shot without a little autofocus here and there while I am learning to better focus manually!

09-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here is a chart showing Pentax lens compatibility and features:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
Marc, thanks. I am not interested in autoexposure. Lovin Manual to get the perfect exposure for the situation
Well, there is more to it than that. An autoexposure lens works better even in manual mode, because the camera can know the aperture that is set, and this allows it to display a meter full time and also allows the Green button to work without needing to stop down the lens. A lens that does not support autoexpouse requires some extra steps to use (see the sticky thread at the top of the Beginner's forum if you aren't familiar with these).