Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k-5 competition

I know that people are saying that the k-5 will be compeating against the 7d. However, the rumored specs of the upcoming d7000 Look awfully familer. Do you really think that the k-5 will be able to compeate with the top-end Canikon APS-C cameras?

Also, why is pentax chasing the 7d instead of trying to surpass it?

09-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I know that people are saying that the k-5 will be compeating against the 7d. However, the rumored specs of the upcoming d7000 Look awfully familer. Do you really think that the k-5 will be able to compeate with the top-end Canikon APS-C cameras?

I think Canon is chasing Pentax when it comes to weather-sealing. :P
09-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote

I don't think the k-5 and the 7D are in the same class. Unless SAFOX is completely rewritten and vastly improved, the k-5 still will suffer in low-light AF speed as well as AF-C tracking, as has every DSLR bearing the Pentax brand (unfortunately). The 7D also has higher resolution, and has a dual processor (so one can be dedicated to AF speed.) BTW the 7D is also weathersealed.

The 60D may be a closer comparison to the k-5, although I'll bet the 60D will still have faster AF in low light and better AF tracking. My guess would be that the k-5 will have advantages in weathersealing and size to the 60D.

I guess we will find out soon.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 09-06-2010 at 11:43 AM.
09-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would Pentax feel the need to compete with anyone?.
Pentax has unique products and accessories for sale at reasonable cost that no one else has.

You want the C&N performance! and the better what ever, by all means spend the $$$.and be happy.

09-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
The 60D may be a closer comparison to the k-5, although I'll bet the 60D will still have faster AF in low light and better AF tracking. My guess would be that the k-5 will have advantages in weathersealing and size to the 60D.

I never got why people like smaller cameras, I actually bought a batterygrip to make my K20D a little bigger and heavier so it doesn't feel like a toy (note I'm 6'5 so I have big hands). Also the heavier the camera the less the tripod will shake in a haze when you're taking long exposures.

I'm really looking forward to the Photokina in Cologne where Pentax will give some official details about the K-5. Hope they fix the DFS thingy I mentioned in another thread. But most likely I don't see why Pentax should be using higher resolution, Nikon doesn't either and still sell pretty good. It's about the quality of the images not only about the resolution; and I've heard some good things about the new Sony Chip.
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Why would Pentax feel the need to compete with anyone?.
Pentax has unique products and accessories for sale at reasonable cost that no one else has.

You want the C&N performance! and the better what ever, by all means spend the $$$.and be happy.
so what is wrong with spending $$$ and being happy,
is that not what life is suppose to be
i work very hard for my $$$

Dave
T&T
09-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't think the k-5 and the 7D are in the same class. Unless SAFOX is completely rewritten and vastly improved, the k-5 still will suffer in low-light AF speed as well as AF-C tracking, as has every DSLR bearing the Pentax brand (unfortunately). The 7D also has higher resolution, and has a dual processor (so one can be dedicated to AF speed.) BTW the 7D is also weathersealed.

But we've already gotten a sneak peak at SAFOX-9+ which seems like quite an upgrade in terms of AF performance. And so, If they equip the K-5 with this new system(or a derivative or it) then I think Pentax will have finally rid themselves of the long time low contrast AF plague. Mind you... I have no idea about focus tracking. However if they impliment it in the K-5 it will most likely become one of those new with room for improvement type of systems

Of course all this is speculation too!
The K-5 could be nothing more than a buffed K-7 with a sensor upgrade, improved media door and ergonomic tweaks! So many possibilities!

The moment is so close though... I think it's quite exciting to say the least!
09-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WordsOfFarewell Quote
I never got why people like smaller cameras, I actually bought a batterygrip to make my K20D a little bigger and heavier so it doesn't feel like a toy (note I'm 6'5 so I have big hands). Also the heavier the camera the less the tripod will shake in a haze when you're taking long exposures.

I'm really looking forward to the Photokina in Cologne where Pentax will give some official details about the K-5. Hope they fix the DFS thingy I mentioned in another thread. But most likely I don't see why Pentax should be using higher resolution, Nikon doesn't either and still sell pretty good. It's about the quality of the images not only about the resolution; and I've heard some good things about the new Sony Chip.
because not everyone is a 6 foot 5 individual with bigger hands. people that are not 6'5 find it inconvenient and an added burden to have more weight because of the camera and also can be a bother to have a bigger body along the line of travel purposes and carrying a lot of stuff with you.

as far as shake as concerned with regards to long exposures, that would depend on what particular tripod you are using. you can have a K20D + grip + a 500mm lens combo settled on a weak tripod, and I will assure you that it will shake or move because of the tripod itself and not because you have a lighter camera+ lens setup. what you need is a secure and Heavy Duty tripod head and leg combo.

09-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

BTW the 7D is also weathersealed.
Apparently not too well.
Thre is a problem around the joystick area it seems, have seen a few comments on UK forums from 7D users .. with a few of them having totally dead cameras.
09-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

If some of the rumours are true that its a K7 body with new innards (think Kx ISO performance on 16mp sensor). Other than max flash sync speed, and AF, its a hell of a camera.
09-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not sure whom Pentax is trying to compete at 1600$.... it's own tail probably... If I already had tons of cash invested in Pentax glass... I guess it would have made some sense... But for somebody who doesn't have any lenses yet, it would take a lot of convincing to buy the K-5 over the 7D (about the same price)... Or the D7000 (400$ cheaper if the rumor holds) for that matter...

Pentax marketing department should ease up on grass... they've been exploring the dreamland a lot ever since the Hoya bought them over...
09-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

it's not a k-x ISO performing. they say it better than that, plus it goes to 25,600 ISO, which is not a k-x capability.

I just can't understand why some people makes reference or say it is a 16mp k-x, meaning there won't be any ISO improvement whatsever except that it goes 1 stop faster. besides that, where would you place the k-r then? a rebadged k-x? I find it silly to make references to one particular camera just because they happen to have the same sensor manufacturer change as was late last year.
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
so what is wrong with spending $$$ and being happy,
is that not what life is suppose to be
i work very hard for my $$$

Dave
T&T
It was just a statement in general. Everyone (almost) is expecting 5D Mk2 or D 700 performance and they want it for sub $1000.00. Good luck with that..
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WordsOfFarewell Quote
I like a small camera because it is just that - small (and that also usually means light). I am also 1.96m tall. But then I am coordinated and can keep it steady
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #15

The specs are basically the same but the difference in price is a bit concerning to me. At this point, though, it's premature panic about rumors so I'll just wait until it all becomes official before commenting on the falling sky.