Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D Shutter Not Working!!!

I've owned a K20D for about 9-months, and love it. I took packed it in my Pentax backpack, along with two lenses, to take on my cruise this past weekend. Getting out of the car at the cruise port, the bag fell from about waist high onto the ground. I wasn't too worried because the camera was in the bag, and it was padded.

When I got on the boat, I pulled out my camera and turned it on. Everything seemed normal - the menu came up and I could scroll through options. But when I went to take a picture - nothing. The shutter wouldn't fire. Auto-focus wouldn't work either. It was as if the shutter button wasn't responding. I couldn't adjust the EV setting either. I tried a different lens and no luck.

Anyone else encounter this? I'm pretty pissed off that a short fall in a padded bag could do that much damage. What do you guys recommend? Should I try to send it in as a warranty issue? Should I try a local camera shop, or is that too risky? Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

09-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Could you try using a remote? hopefully it's just the shutter button and not the shutter, the EV comp not working might be a sign that this is a control panel failure and not a mechanical one
09-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
I actually don't have a remote, so I'm not sure. I'm thinking I'm going to send it in as a warranty request just to try that. It really seems like the buttons near the shutter button are all just not responding.
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

you might check....

make sure focus selection switch did not get moved in the fall to MF. Move it back and forth a time or two....try AFC and AFS see what happens. If no luck, set it to manual focus....focus and see if shutter release works. Try AF switch on back of camera....pull battery out and re-insert....check that battery is fully charged.

Do you have IR remote or even a wired remote? See if you can get a picture that way.....

If its really dead....I'd send it to Pentax. Especially if its still in warranty.

Let us know if you get it solved and what the problem was/is.

good luck...

09-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murdoughnut Quote
I actually don't have a remote, so I'm not sure. I'm thinking I'm going to send it in as a warranty request just to try that. It really seems like the buttons near the shutter button are all just not responding.
If it's under warranty, just send it in. Don't tell that You dropped it, just that it stopped working. Let them fix it and you'll be on your way.

09-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Forensics - I did try all of the settings and replacing the battery after charging it - nothing seemed to work.

JeffJS - I'm thinking of doing that, but from the way it sounds, they take 15-20 working days to repair them. My brother's wedding is coming up in a month and a half and I'm concerned about getting it back in time.

The other option is going to a local repair shop. Even if I had to pay $100 or so, I would prefer this in order to get it back quick (assuming it can be repaired). But would I then void the warranty by having someone else open it up?

Thanks for the help and advice guys!
09-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forensics - I did try all of the settings and replacing the battery after charging it - nothing seemed to work.

JeffJS - I'm thinking of doing that, but from the way it sounds, they take 15-20 working days to repair them. My brother's wedding is coming up in a month and a half and I'm concerned about getting it back in time.

The other option is going to a local repair shop. Even if I had to pay $100 or so, I would prefer this in order to get it back quick (assuming it can be repaired). But would I then void the warranty by having someone else open it up?

Thanks for the help and advice guys!
I have to ask, is a local shop going to have ready access to Pentax parts? Not to be an ass, but how many photos will you take with the camera as it is now? The longer you fiddle around with it, the least likely you'll have it back in time. Either way, Good luck..

09-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Are you the primary photographer? If you are, then you only really have 2 choices.

1) Purchase, borrow, or rent another camera to use.

2) Give a heartfelt apology to your brother and his bride about not being able to photograph their wedding and help them find another photographer post haste.

Even if you sent it out tomorrow via express mail, there is no guarantee that it will be repaired and sent back to you on time or not. The question is can you, your brother, and his bride take the chance on it?

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 09-06-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
09-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Are you the primary photographer? If you are, then you only really have 2 choices.

1) Purchase, borrow, or rent another camera to use.

2) Give a heartfelt apology to your brother and his bride about not being able to photograph their wedding and help them find another photographer post haste.

Even if you sent it out tomorrow via express mail, there is no guarantee that it will be repaired and sent back to you on time or not. The question is can you, your brother, and his bride take the chance on it?
Now would be the best time to pick up a Kx two lens kit

that high ISO ability might come in handy, but then there's that darn ear shattering shutter