Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-7 flash in Wireless mode. Doesn't work correctly?

I have purchased two stands and umbrellas and started to experiment with off camera flash. I set Flash in Wireless mode to OFF, so it was supposed to work only as controller. However In pictures there was clearly seen that on camera flash was lighting my photography subjects. Here's the example:

Then I simply covered my on camera flash with hand and got the result I was expecting to get with on camera flash working as controller only:

Here's how my "controller" flash looked like when I took my autoportrait

Doesn't look right to me. Am I misunderstanding that "Flash in Wireless mode OFF" thing?

09-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been trying to figure this out also
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm not mistaken, the wireless flash controller, still fires a short burst while telling the slave units what to do. I've never paid a lot of attention to it so I'll have to see if mine does the same thing. Pg 177 in the manual discusses this.

09-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If I'm not mistaken, the wireless flash controller, still fires a short burst while telling the slave units what to do. I've never paid a lot of attention to it so I'll have to see if mine does the same thing. Pg 177 in the manual discusses this.
Yes, I understand that it needs to fire to activate slave flashes, however I was expecting it to do that when shutter is still closed.

Actually I wonder why don't camera manufacturers make cameras with radio flash controllers and radio controlled flashes?

09-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, the K7 has a serious flaw concerning wireless mode...
Indeed, the built-in flash has to emit a short flash during the exposure to trigger the slaves. In controller mode, this burst should be nearly invisible (and was on previous models, like the K20).
But on the K7, the lowest strength of the built-in flash was raised compared to the K20, and this results in a seriously impaired wireless controller mode... I guess this was to improve wireless outdoor, where the sun can be troublesome.
The only workaround I found was to use a Nikon SG-3IR infra-red panel...
09-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
The only workaround I found was to use a Nikon SG-3IR infra-red panel...
Could you confirm that SG-3IR panel fits K-7?

It seems that it's just how those on camera flashes work in commander mode and the only solution is to cover it.
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, I got one SG-3IR for my K7 for this very problem...
This drove me mad for a good week, before I got to try controller mode with my brother's K20 (which was mine before I got the K7 :-) )...

The K7 built-in flash also have a way higher minimal power in standard mode than the K20...
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #8

I thought it was only me experiencing this,
what I did to remedy this was to get a cheap china flash trigger.