Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What would you do ?

So I've been waiting for the new Canon G12 to come out, like the articulating LCD and bla, bla, bla ..... but ..... for $499 (or less after the KR announcement) I can get a Kx !

For the money spent (I know it is a different type of camera etc, etc) I get a camera that kicks butt, can use it in low,low light, is pretty small with small lens and is relatively cheap ..... blows the doors off many cameras that cost three times as much !

Have I lost it or am I getting a grain of sense?

For the stuff I do can you imaging what this baby and a Tamron 10mm-24mm would do for everyday architecture and landscape stuff ?

wll

09-06-2010, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One immediate question: if you're looking at the 10-24mm range (15-36mm equivalent FOV), will a G-series with a wide end of maybe 28mm even be sufficient? It can be a great camera, but if the lens isn't what you need then it isn't worth consideration. Personally, I've never seen the appeal of very wide lenses, even for landscapes.

If the G-series lens isn't prohibitive, then two questions come to mind: Will the larger size of the SLR prevent you from having the camera with you when you want to take pictures? Will you be making large enough prints to justify using a larger sensor?

One of the big draws for me to Pentax are the compact lenses. A big camera doesn't need to mean a big kit, and the tripod doesn't need to be as burly to have the same stability. But the K-x is still larger and heavier, even without a lens, than a G-series. Of course, you need to factor in the cost of a compact lens to the K-x body price, which will likely be more than the G12 price.

As far as print sizes, I justify carrying around the larger camera so that when I find those fantastic scenes I can, if everything goes well, make fantastic prints. Any current camera should make great 4x6" prints. The G12 should be able to great 15x20" prints, about the same as my GX10, according to imaging-resource.com, which is nothing to sneeze at. But the K-x can do 20x30" prints and at higher ISOs.

And then there's the DOF issue. The G12 will probably have an easier time focusing faster than the K-x because of its shallow DOF, whereas the K-x gives you the ability to create more blur in the background. In terms of comparison (looking at cambridgeincolor.com's calculator) the G11 @ 28mm equiv. will provide the same FOV and DOF as the K-x at 19mm and f/8.9. Personally, I'd hate to be limited to an F/9 DOF with my camera.

And then there's the upgrade issue. The G12 will be what it is for as long as you have it, except for flashes. The K-x can be upgraded with different lenses. So if you want to spend $50 on a Takumar, you can. Or $1000 on a DA*, you can. One point for the G12: no LBA.

What would I do? K-x. Unless I was buying a second, carry-everywhere camera, but then I'd probably want something smaller than a G-series. But for my primary camera, SLR all the way.

Of course, in the $500 range, there are quite a few good DSLRs, especially if you consider used models...
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Good post Jon +rep.

I just held a G11 last night, a first for me. Fantastic size and weight for such a reputably good camera. Would love one as a second camera, but couldn't do without an SLR as a camera too. So for me it's an SLR first, then if I win a lottery I may get a small Canon. It would be great for taking to dinners, parties etc. Life is full of compromises.
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
So I've been waiting for the new Canon G12 to come out, like the articulating LCD and bla, bla, bla ..... but ..... for $499 (or less after the KR announcement) I can get a Kx !

For the money spent (I know it is a different type of camera etc, etc) I get a camera that kicks butt, can use it in low,low light, is pretty small with small lens and is relatively cheap ..... blows the doors off many cameras that cost three times as much !

Have I lost it or am I getting a grain of sense?

For the stuff I do can you imaging what this baby and a Tamron 10mm-24mm would do for everyday architecture and landscape stuff ?

wll
I won't go into the differences, it doesn't matter at this point. I would not however, expect the prices of the current models to drop like a rock any time soon. Announcements, or not. If you want the Kx, are willing to float the cash, just do it.

09-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the price of the Kx will drop a bit more. So with the $ decrease I would go that route. A Kx with the 10-24 would be a great set-up for landscape.
09-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Its a camera size decision more than anything else.

Having handled a G11 at the local store, I must say that is a very fine compact camera. The features and handling (buttons/dials) are just top notch in its class.
But, its not a APS-C camera and has no interchangeable lens. DOF will be what it is (ie. large) and lenses will be what is given.

Its also wide up to only 28mm for your purpose.

If you somehow need the smaller size, yeah, it would be the one. Else, still a Kx makes more sense.
09-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well ........

I think I will go the Kx route.

The 10-24 Lens may be a little big, but I can handle it, just need the right bag, I'm sure I'll find it.

Now to order a 10-24 before B&H closes for the holidays.

wll
09-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I would buy the K-x. Far better picture quality. If you need smaller would consider the Olympus E-PL1. AT BH it now costs about the same as Canon and also has better image quality. The days of expensive, fixed lens P&S cameras is probably numbered.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #33 in compact camera forum. Enter #34. Any brand camera. Enter now!

09-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you need a good compact PnS, consider the Lumix LX-3, or it's new replacement the LX-5. My LX-3 betters the Canon G11 in terms of image quality and is such a versatile little camera that I take it everywhere.
09-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I just held a G11 last night, a first for me. Fantastic size and weight for such a reputably good camera. Would love one as a second camera, but couldn't do without an SLR as a camera too.
This is my feeling, too. Currently, I'm looking for an all-in-one type camera that I can carry to work everyday or in those situations where I don't need the capabilities of a DSLR. Right now, the Canon G-series cameras are what I'm leaning towards. I want something that can serve as a digital 'sketch pad'.
09-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought a G3 when they were first introduced and I still use it today, it's been a superb camera.
If the latest incarnation is as good I would hesitate to buy one as a backup / alternative to a DSLR.