Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Got it - my new K10d is on my desk

Just got back from the shop:

K10D body - no kit lenses were in yet, so...

The shop manger pulled the 18-55 from a K100 and sold it to me as a stand alone.

1 GB Sandisk card

Lowepro 140 AW carry case.

All, in with taxes, a hair over $1600 CDN

Now, after Christmas, I'm going to order the 50 - 200 mm lens I played with on the body, too. At $200 it's a reasonable price and easy way to snag a decent zoomer.

I LOVE the way the card and battery doors have positive lock/unlock mechanisms - I think it's great.

And the body is just very slightly smaller than the Nikon D80 body, so it fits my hand nicely.

I'm a kid in a freakin' candy store here!

Might even take it to Chicago with me next week.

Must charge...

12-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! But . . . why wouldn't you take it to Chicago next week? I would think that it would go with you EVERYWHERE, at least for the next few months. My wife is always asking, "Why are you bringing your camera?" I always answer, "Well, you never know when you would need it."

I suspect your next purchase, and real soon, will be another SD card. 1Gb just isn't enough on the K10D. Just spent the last hour going over various cards trying to decide what to get (next). The four gig cards are nice, but it appears that most readers do not recognize them (yet). I don't want to transfer images through the USB cord, so I'll probably get 2Gb cards for the time being.

You'll like the 50-200. It's a nice, compact lens. Add the Tamron 1.4x teleconver to the kit and you will be covered from 18mm up to 280mm . . . good enough for most situations.

Enjoy.
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doggydude Quote
Just got back from the shop:

K10D body - no kit lenses were in yet, so...

The shop manger pulled the 18-55 from a K100 and sold it to me as a stand alone.

1 GB Sandisk card

Lowepro 140 AW carry case.

All, in with taxes, a hair over $1600 CDN

Now, after Christmas, I'm going to order the 50 - 200 mm lens I played with on the body, too. At $200 it's a reasonable price and easy way to snag a decent zoomer.

I LOVE the way the card and battery doors have positive lock/unlock mechanisms - I think it's great.

And the body is just very slightly smaller than the Nikon D80 body, so it fits my hand nicely.

I'm a kid in a freakin' candy store here!

Might even take it to Chicago with me next week.

Must charge...
that is great, doggydude!
as you can see from my other post, I missed the first shipment boat.
one thing about your memory card purchase...... make sure it is at least has a 10mb/sec read and right times as anything under that, you will not be able to take full advantage of 3 fps until the card is full. (not that I would even need that but it is nice to know I can)

have fun

randy
12-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks fort he advice guys.

I spent most of last night reading the manual - well, half of it anyway. LOL

I suspect it will end up coming to Chicago with me - I'd hate to be there, have an opportunity to get out for some shots and miss it.

I'm going to speak at a conference, so it'll be a pretty busy week for me, but still - better to have th egear and not use it, than to want to use it and regret not having it.

I like the suggestion of the 50-200 and te teleconvertor - never really played with tc's before.

I'm hoping to get some time today to snap some shots of the dogs here - scruffy as they are a week before they go to the groomer - but we'll see.

One thing I noticed in the manual that shocked me was the huge drop in the number of images you can take when snapping RAW files. I knew they contained a LOT of data, but holy cow. The manual suggests a drop from about 100 jpeg images on a 512 card, down to about 29 when shoting RAW.

...as it is the 1gb holds just better than 200 jpegs, so I'll definitely be looking for a 2 gb card or two. ...because I know I'll be playing with RAW shots soon.

12-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your purchase. I'm on a budget, so I think I will have to enjoy my *IST-DS2 for a while longer yet before I can look at a new body

Generally, once you go RAW, you don't go back

So . . . where did you pick up the camera?
12-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Carsand Mosher - Bayers Lake

...and I'm loving it!