Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Spotmatic K10D M42!

Hi,

I had a very unfortunate episode for a while ago. I had a long 400 mm M42 lens on my poor K10D and was about to put the lens on the tripod. It was dark and suddenly the combo fell. the lens got apart from the mounting ring of the camera and the camera fell for itself. The only visible problem was that the mounting ring was out and had got a dent. I ordered a new lens mount and with help of a user on this forum I got a epoxy called JB weld and could attach the new lens mount perfectly on the camera body. Now, I could mount a lens and go shooting....

I put the 16-45 f4. The camera did auto focus perfectly as it did before. It meant that the mount is attached rightly and the camera can put the focus on the lens.

But exposure does not work right. Whatever exposure mode chooses the f4 on the lens. The camera cannot accept any other aperture setting. The result is the camera puts the aperture to wide open whatever I choose. The only possibility is to mount an M42 lens through the adapter. I this mode I observed that the camera missed the exposure bar both in the viewfinder and on LCD panel.

I thought as a last action I could download the last firmware. I did the download and interesting enough the exposure bar is back both on LCD panel and in the viewfinder, It is a big achievement as I can use camera more effectively as a modern digital Spotmatic but of course I wish I could use it as a real K10D.

Does anyone here know what could possibly be wrong and is it anything more I can do to solve the problem?

I have cleaned the contacts two times. Once with ordinary lens solution and once with ELECTRICAL CLEANER solution.

Regards,

Mojtaba

09-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure you've explained it perfectly but I'm not quite getting something. What exactly did you glue in or back together?

The way I read your post is

Camera had 400mm mounted on it (m42 adapter)
Tried to attach lens to tripod (tripod mount on the lens?)
Camera came loose and bit the dust (hit the ground).
Camera lens mount OR M42 mount is damaged?

Glued something back together and can mount and auto focus DA16-45 but cannot choose aperture other than f4?

1 the lens mount is not put back together correctly
2 you got some glue on one or more of the contacts (contact cleaner won't touch epoxy- it removes dirt and oxidation).
3 the camera is messed up internally with a broken circuit board (or board trace).
4 You are not in the mode you think you are. It does this with Av mode?

09-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm sure you've explained it perfectly but I'm not quite getting something. What exactly did you glue in or back together?

The way I read your post is

Camera had 400mm mounted on it (m42 adapter)
Tried to attach lens to tripod (tripod mount on the lens?)
Camera came loose and bit the dust (hit the ground).
Camera lens mount OR M42 mount is damaged?

I am sorry, this is due to my bad English. Let me explain more: The lens and m42 to PK adapter and the camera's original mounting ring fell apart from the camera. So I had to put back the ring mount such as I could mount a lens like DA 16-45. The ring was damaged and needed to be fixed. Instead of fixing it I bought a new Mounting ring from Pentax. I am not talking about the adapter but the bayonet ring which is originally on camera. I glued the new one perfectly on place.

Glued something back together and can mount and auto focus DA16-45 but cannot choose aperture other than f4?

That is right.

I think it is as the camera auto focuses as before.

2 you got some glue on one or more of the contacts (contact cleaner won't touch epoxy- it removes dirt and oxidation).

I hope this is the case. I have to examine. Is there any material which can wash off epoxy?

3 the camera is messed up internally with a broken circuit board (or board trace).

I am afraid so.

No the same attitude when I am in M mode.

Thanks for your reply
09-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mojtala Quote
I am sorry, this is due to my bad English. Let me explain more: The lens and m42 to PK adapter and the camera's original mounting ring fell apart from the camera. So I had to put back the ring mount such as I could mount a lens like DA 16-45. The ring was damaged and needed to be fixed. Instead of fixing it I bought a new Mounting ring from Pentax. I am not talking about the adapter but the bayonet ring which is originally on camera. I glued the new one perfectly on place.

That is right.

I think it is as the camera auto focuses as before.

I hope this is the case. I have to examine. Is there any material which can wash off epoxy?

I am afraid so.

No the same attitude when I am in M mode.

Thanks for your reply
It Sounds as though the camera is reading the maximum aperture of the wide open lens. By the way, I'm no expert here, I'm just stabbing in the dark. You don't want to liquefy the epoxy because it can travel and could hurt more. I would try just polishing the contacts with a knife or some thing similar. THEN use the contact cleaner.

This looks to do a good job of describing how the contacts work. Perhaps it will help troubleshoot what is going on.

Features and Operation of the Ka Mount