Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Go easy - no point in putting it up against Pentax's current flagship model...
How many revolutionary upgrades do you want in a successor less than 2 years out from the previous model and produced by a MUCH smaller photo company than its competitors?

Then again, even Canikon's entry-level lineup doesn't progress in huge leaps and bounds either...
I'm disappointed but that's because I already own the K-x. I think the K-r will be a fine camera for someone who does not already own a K-x, it's just not upgrade-worthy at this point. I think they fixed some pressing issues such as a lack of AF illumination points and AA batteries but that's about it. I'm passing judgement too fast, of course. I'll know for sure when I see the images at ISO 1600/3200.

09-08-2010, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

THIS is what will probably make me upgrade from my trusty K100D Super. That awesome sensor, faster AF, AF points in viewfinder, AF spot beam, HD video, ISO 25600, dual battery options, prettier design... Are you KIDDING me? This camera is going to be the BEST THING. I am frankly amazed that this is what Pentax offers at the so called entry level. Blows all competitors straight out of the water.

I have one complaint only, and it is slight: I kind of want the top LCD. No biggie, though.
09-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I forgot to mention that compared to the Canon T2i, it's about the same price, twice as fast in terms of FPS, but loses out in movie/video mode and megapixels department by a long shot to the Canon.

Can't wait to see the test shots at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200.

Now, if it has the same noise reduction performance at ISO 3200 as the K-x at ISO 1600, I'd seriously consider this camera, but I doubt it.
it's a really, really, really hard sell against the T2i, especially since the prices are about the same, and when the Kr comes out the prices likely will be the same, maybe the T2i even cheaper

I think my main problem the Kr is the insane price, I don't see why it's so expensive
09-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
it's a really, really, really hard sell against the T2i, especially since the prices are about the same, and when the Kr comes out the prices likely will be the same, maybe the T2i even cheaper

I think my main problem the Kr is the insane price, I don't see why it's so expensive
Because the marketing people crunched the numbers and did the research and this is the price they found that would make them the most money. Why does Pentax have to under value their cameras?

09-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Because it just came out, and launch prices are usually higher than what the street price becomes after a little while. Also, it's not an "insane price", it's the same price as the T2i/550D.
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Because the marketing people crunched the numbers and did the research and this is the price they found that would make them the most money. Why does Pentax have to under value their cameras?
Because that's a big reason why someone would choose Pentax over Canon/Nikon's offering. I chose the K-x mainly because it was 40% cheaper than the Canon T1i at the time. The K-7 currently costs $500 less than the 7D and the K-x costs about $300-400 less than the t1i/t2i.

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
THIS is what will probably make me upgrade from my trusty K100D Super. That awesome sensor, faster AF, AF points in viewfinder, AF spot beam, HD video, ISO 25600, dual battery options, prettier design... Are you KIDDING me? This camera is going to be the BEST THING. I am frankly amazed that this is what Pentax offers at the so called entry level. Blows all competitors straight out of the water.

I have one complaint only, and it is slight: I kind of want the top LCD. No biggie, though.
I can definitely see the excitement from someone who owns a K100D, but from a current K-x user's standpoint, this camera is a big snore. I was really hoping for a second wheel, a top LCD or bigger/brighter viewfinder, it's stuff like that that sets it apart from the other budget offerings. Currently, it's really not much better than the Canon t2i.
09-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
how long till we can actually buy it?
09-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Because it just came out, and launch prices are usually higher than what the street price becomes after a little while. Also, it's not an "insane price", it's the same price as the T2i/550D.
The T2i is selling at it's MSRP right now and it's been out for a while, and when the Kr hit's shelves that's what it will be competing with, for the small feature set and with the price of the Kx, I can't image paying for this over the T2i or over the D3100

I don't see why this couldn't have the same MSRP as the Kx since it was only a tiny incremental upgrade, imagine if the Kx had a price of $850, there might have been riots in the streets because it's not a $850 dollar camera

09-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
how long till we can actually buy it?
October in the US, probably next year for you guys in the boonies.

Kidding.
09-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The T2i is selling at it's MSRP right now and it's been out for a while, and when the Kr hit's shelves that's what it will be competing with, for the small feature set and with the price of the Kx, I can't image paying for this over the T2i or over the D3100
I can imagine. I would pick this over the T2i for the twice as fast shooting speed and the (should be) superior high ISO performance. I just don't think others will. The average schmuck buying this won't even know what FPS or noise reduction means. Instead, they will see the 18MP vs 12MP, the better HD video, the superior Canon name and go with that. I mean, who wants to buy into a dying brand?
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #26

hey...dont knock us down in Australia...we got electricity last year!
09-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I can imagine. I would pick this over the T2i for the twice as fast shooting speed and the (should be) superior high ISO performance. I just don't think others will. The average schmuck buying this won't even know what FPS or noise reduction means. Instead, they will see the 18MP vs 12MP, the better HD video, the superior Canon name and go with that. I mean, who wants to buy into a dying brand?
Yeah I guess that my comments are biased to my habits of low ISO and single shot, and love for video so the Kr doesn't appeal to me much, but the Kx appeals to the cheapskate in me
09-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I can definitely see the excitement from someone who owns a K100D, but from a current K-x user's standpoint, this camera is a big snore. I was really hoping for a second wheel, a top LCD or bigger/brighter viewfinder, it's stuff like that that sets it apart from the other budget offerings. Currently, it's really not much better than the Canon t2i.
No, it's stuff like that that sets the entry level apart from the top-of-the-line. If it had those features, it would kill the K-7 (or rather, it would be its replacement, and cost several hundred dollars more.)

In my opinion, K-x owners should be glad they don't have to upgrade every other year, but that said, AF assist lamp and visible AF points sound pretty exciting to me...

for the small feature set and with the price of the Kx, I can't image paying for this over the T2i or over the D3100
As I see it, this camera is far more usable and has more useful features than either of those cameras. Even if I didn't have an investment in K-mount lenses, I would go for the Pentax over the Nikon or Canon ten times out of ten, with no question whatsoever. Some people think 18 megapixels is a ridiculous burden for an APS-C camera and nothing else. I'd rather have lens compatibility and SR, thanks very kindly.
09-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

No, it's stuff like that that sets the entry level apart from the top-of-the-line. If it had those features, it would kill the K-7 (or rather, it would be its replacement, and cost several hundred dollars more.)

In my opinion, K-x owners should be glad they don't have to upgrade every other year, but that said, AF assist lamp and visible AF points sound pretty exciting to me...

As I see it, this camera is far more usable and has more useful features than either of those cameras. Even if I didn't have an investment in K-mount lenses, I would go for the Pentax over the Nikon or Canon ten times out of ten, with no question whatsoever. Some people think 18 megapixels is a ridiculous burden for an APS-C camera and nothing else. I'd rather have lens compatibility and SR, thanks very kindly.
I understand Pentax is protecting the K-7/K-5 from cannibalization but it's hurting itself against external competition like Canon/Nikon.

The way you see things is very different from the average camera buying schmoe. Most folks on this forum know enough about cameras to understand that FPS, SR, old lens compatibility, high ISO performance are important. Most other people think you're talking about First-Person-Shooter, Strontium and worthless decrepit lenses. They also think 18MP is 50% better than 12MP and that Canon is a luxury brand while Pentax is a dying brand.
09-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I understand Pentax is protecting the K-7/K-5 from cannibalization but it's hurting itself against external competition like Canon/Nikon.
But do you think Joe Schmoe cares about two wheels, or a top LCD, or a slightly bigger viewfinder? Those aren't very impressive on a spec sheet. You have to realize that Pentax has a camera for you already, and it is the K-7 (or the rumoured K-5.) These features do not appear on any "consumer" camera by Sony, Olympus, Canon or Nikon, so why should Pentax kill their own sales for something that no one cares about except the target market for the K-7?

The way you see things is very different from the average camera buying schmoe. Most folks on this forum know enough about cameras to understand that FPS, SR, old lens compatibility, high ISO performance are important. Most other people think you're talking about First-Person-Shooter, Strontium and worthless decrepit lenses. They also think 18MP is 50% better than 12MP and that Canon is a luxury brand while Pentax is a dying brand.
Sure, these are valid points and you are doing a decent job of outlining what Pentax' problems have been ever since sometime in the mid eighties, but I don't much care about what the general public buys or doesn't buy. I care about cameras that work for me.