Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Does anyone know if it forces DFS after 30 seconds. That's a killer for me.

William

09-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
could you give source to where you've found this?

any uncropped images?
Right click the image. Select Properties.
09-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Why do you guys keep thinking that this is a K-x replacement? It's obviously not.
09-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I just sold my K7 and would much rather have the Kx over the Kr now...

I think my main problem the Kr is the insane price

What??? Are you for real?
Insane price? It's an amazing camera, a hi rez LCD, a very smart battery solution,
great sensor, all the improvements people have been asking them to do.
Why do you want Pentax to survive by giving such a great camera away???
It's $800, come on, how much is K-x, $720?

09-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #50
Forum Member

Most of the hands-on stuff I've read have stated that it sits between the Kx and the K7.

Of course, image quality and overall performance might end up being quiet something, but as far as the specs go, it's definitely a bit underwhelming for me, I had hoped for at least 2 e-dials, or weather seals maybe. Or an articulating LCD (great for shooting from the hip, as long as you do it like the D5000 or the Nex-5)

But otherwise, this is definitely aimed squarely at K200 users, or K10/K20D users who aren't so keen to jump up to the K7. And hopefully, it'll also bring us new Pentax users like the Kx did with me and lots of other people.

But it's definitely one hell of a deal - at USD $1000 MSRP for a 2 lens kit with the 55-300? That is pretty sweet. It's just not for everyone. A lot of Pentaxians are, like me, going to be underwhelmed, and some might even be disappointed with this, but that doesn't mean this is inferior to the CaNikon offerings. If anything, this is a great camera to get new users or other-brand users to jump on to Pentax.
09-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #51

K-r looks to be a very capable "high-end" entry level DSLR, and it addressed issues that I've had with K-x, namely the lack of focusing point indicators and low-res LCD. I am still not too excited about penta-mirror finder and lack of status LCD on top deck, but I can live with it because of the excellent low-light performance and ability to use different battery types.

Looking forward to placing my order as soon as it goes on sale. Looks like I'll be trading in my FA 24mm since the new DA 35 will give me a true normal lens.
09-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
Most of the hands-on stuff I've read have stated that it sits between the Kx and the K7.

Of course, image quality and overall performance might end up being quiet something, but as far as the specs go, it's definitely a bit underwhelming for me, I had hoped for at least 2 e-dials, or weather seals maybe. Or an articulating LCD (great for shooting from the hip, as long as you do it like the D5000 or the Nex-5)

But it's definitely one hell of a deal - at USD $1000 MSRP for a 2 lens kit with the 55-300? That is pretty sweet. It's just not for everyone. A lot of Pentaxians are, like me, going to be underwhelmed, and some might even be disappointed with this, but that doesn't mean this is inferior to the CaNikon offerings. If anything, this is a great camera to get new users or other-brand users to jump on to Pentax.
As previously stated in this thread, what entry level camera has 2 e-diels and weather seals? Had they included them they would have made even less margin and that would have made the camera more expensive or forced Pentax to make less money on it.

An articulating LCD would have been nice but oh well. Not a deal breaker.

For everyone that is complaining that this is only and incremental upgrade you are mistaken. Faster AF, FPS and better ISO is EXACTLY what everyone has been asking for. So now that you have it YOU'RE WHINING ABOUT IT? Come on.

Also, if all you have is a Kx and you're not impressed, fine. Most people don't upgrade every generation. If you're someone who does, congratulations, you have a heck of a lotta more money than I do.

This camera is meant to get people like me who skipped generations of upgrades. For K100, K200, *ist owners this camera represents a massive upgrade in every respect except the weather sealing (which isn't a big deal for most people).
09-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They have to start the price higher to make money on their original investment and so the price can "settle" over time. Plus, I imagine they still want to sell as many K-x's as they can in the bottom entry level segment, so when the K-x price either drops or the K-x is discontinued the K-r will have room to get cheaper.

Pentax again reused quite a bit of technology in this camera, so I bet that relative to its competitors Pentax was able to make this camera for very cheap. So it's a low risk high reward sort of investment for them.

I would agree that from the specs perspective, the K-r won't fare well against its Nikon and Canon competitors, which is a shame as it seems like a very nice camera, but if that's the case the price will likely fall like a rock. Check back at Christmas or six months from now and this camera will seem like a much better deal for what you get.

09-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Last I looked, the Kx was 1/6000 also.
To my knowledge only the K-7 had 1/8000.
I suspect the new K-5 will follow suite.
Personally I love this feature and have been craving it with my K20's for some time now. It will be a major improvement for me to push wider apertures rather than using ND filters.
JohnBee,
thanks, it never occurred to me that the fast shutter would help with DOF, seriously, i was thinking people wanted it to stop action.

The new (old) multiple image feature also helps eliminate the need for ND filters. Multiple images can do a nice job of putting that silky look into water flow and waves.

I'm surprised by the number of folks who say that that the Kr is not sufficient to sell to the previous owners of the Kx. I didn't realize the sole goal of new cameras is to replace the previous years models

I successfully held off not buying the K7 or Kx. To others who own prior years Pentax models like the K10, K100 series, K20, i would suggest that the Kr is a much more compelling purchase for many applications.

I'm also not disappointed with the 12 megapixel range if it means concurrently high ISO performance. I most of all didn't want pentax to do anything that might mess up the high iso performance of the Kx as it was hopefully carried forth to future year models. Let Canikon put 20 or 30 megapixels into their aps cameras, its just not what i would like to see in the aps camera i choose.

Pentax: Be different, be interesting!
09-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #55

I'm looking to upgrade from my faithful K100d, which I will be handing down to my daughter. Every time I look around Pentax comes out with a new model, and muddies the water regarding the best path for me to take. I'm a semi-serious amateur photographer and don't like some of the entry level models that lack things like focus indicators, DOF preview, etc. and I'm thinking this body might be a good candidate though I must admit I think I'll be missing the top LCD. Pluses for me w/ this body include AA compatibility, high ISO, and video though not 1080....
09-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
What??? Are you for real?
Insane price? It's an amazing camera, a hi rez LCD, a very smart battery solution,
great sensor, all the improvements people have been asking them to do.
Why do you want Pentax to survive by giving such a great camera away???
It's $800, come on, how much is K-x, $720?
I paid $450 for my K-x from an authorized dealer, brand new. Is this camera worth the 40% increase in price more than a year later? I find it very hard to justify it with the current stats on paper.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
They have to start the price higher to make money on their original investment and so the price can "settle" over time. Plus, I imagine they still want to sell as many K-x's as they can in the bottom entry level segment, so when the K-x price either drops or the K-x is discontinued the K-r will have room to get cheaper.

Pentax again reused quite a bit of technology in this camera, so I bet that relative to its competitors Pentax was able to make this camera for very cheap. So it's a low risk high reward sort of investment for them.

I would agree that from the specs perspective, the K-r won't fare well against its Nikon and Canon competitors, which is a shame as it seems like a very nice camera, but if that's the case the price will likely fall like a rock. Check back at Christmas or six months from now and this camera will seem like a much better deal for what you get.
The K-x was significantly better than its competitors the Xsi and T1i in just about every department, especially the price, which is very important in the budget entry-level market. The K-r stands inches taller to the T2i and just doesn't dominate it. That's why I'm disappointed, I'd like to see Pentax do well for a change.

The high noise performance looks VERY promising to me. I'd like to see more test shots but ISO 6400 looks usable and ISO 3200 looks equivalent to my current K-x's ISO 1600. That's amazing. I've always loved to get more of those poorly lit shots in and ISO 3200-6400 will let me do that.

I'm excited finally. Now if it drops to $500-600, I'll pull the trigger.

Last edited by hangu; 09-09-2010 at 08:47 AM.
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #57

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
other than the quicker shooting speed, i see no reason to switch over to a K-r from my K-x. The higher res LCD looks nice too btw.
I just got my K-x end of July.

Where can I see a concise rundown of the K-r features and/or a comparison of them with the K-x's?
- - - -
Edit: Here's PF's own factsheet,

Pentax K-r - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
- - - -

I saw a thing or two: A disappointment for me would be the "optional" AA battery compartment. That sounds like an additional expense and probably additional steps when changing batteries. I'd definitely opt for the AA config.

So, glancing at the features in the first link in the OP it appears that maybe the K-r has the same 12mp sensor, the same shake reduction system. What's really different from the K-x? 6 fps? That's nice. The 3" 900k+ LCD is the thing that stands out for me. Is the viewfinder much improved? Did they add AF points to the viewfinder (yes)? Does it have the same body as the K-x, K-m?

Last edited by Muse; 09-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I successfully held off not buying the K7 or Kx. To others who own prior years Pentax models like the K10, K100 series, K20, i would suggest that the Kr is a much more compelling purchase for many applications.
It rather depends on what you want from your camera though. I still use my K10d and I don't see the K-r as an upgrade. It lacks a front dial, which is something I use an awful lot - using a camera without it would annoy me now; I'm spoilt! It also lacks weather sealing, which is something I like to have.

Basically I'm perfectly happy with my k10d, and will only upgrade when one of the following occurs:

1) I run out of other things to spend money on
2) I have all the lenses I want
3) I win the lottery
4) The k10d breaks

Until them I'm happy to live with it's (by recent standards) poor low light noise and tardy AF. Secretly I'm hoping that by the time (4) happens (it's the most likely on my list!) Pentax have AF that is as fast as it's competitors, because that's really the only thing I'm waiting for. Maybe the K-r has that - we shall see - or maybe I'll have to wait a little longer. Fortunately I'm patient.

I'm amazed by the people on here swapping bodies all the time - I wonder how they have time to get out there and take pictures
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Basically I'm perfectly happy with my k10d...

This is quite funny, many people here analyze high ISO of K-7 or K-x to death,
complain about the video options etc, then they declare they are perfectly happy
with an ancient camera they own...
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
This is quite funny, many people here analyze high ISO of K-7 or K-x to death,
complain about the video options etc, then they declare they are perfectly happy
with an ancient camera they own...
I'm not one of them - my camera is so much better than anything I could have aspired to as a kid that I just enjoy using it and don't worry about what else is out there. Sure there are better cameras, but mine has the huge advantage of being in my camera bag under my desk