Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I paid $450 for my K-x from an authorized dealer, brand new. Is this camera worth the 40% increase in price more than a year later? I find it very hard to justify it with the current stats on paper.

The K-x was significantly better than its competitors the Xsi and T1i in just about every department, especially the price, which is very important in the budget entry-level market. The K-r stands inches taller to the T2i and just doesn't dominate it. That's why I'm disappointed, I'd like to see Pentax do well for a change.

The high noise performance looks VERY promising to me. I'd like to see more test shots but ISO 6400 looks usable and ISO 3200 looks equivalent to my current K-x's ISO 1600. That's amazing. I've always loved to get more of those poorly lit shots in and ISO 3200-6400 will let me do that.

I'm excited finally. Now if it drops to $500-600, I'll pull the trigger.

Wait a minute.... I thought the K-r sucked? Was "boring", not a great upgrade, etc. Now you're going to pull the trigger? The amount of whining around here is really sad, when no one has even taken one picture with this camera. You can bitch and moan all day, but let's see the IMAGES before we make ill-informed announcements.

Suggested retail price is always high. I'm sure the price will drop 30% by Christmas.

09-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I paid $450 for my K-x from an authorized dealer, brand new. Is this camera worth the 40% increase in price more than a year later? I find it very hard to justify it with the current stats on paper.
Depending on when you bought it the dealer might have been trying to simply get rid of it. Pentax doesn't sell well because everyone assumes you have to go Canon or Nikon.

I bought the Quantaray (Tamron) for $55 from an authorized dealer. It sells for over $150.

The price is good considering that it is just launched, the price will drop and it'll sell like hot-cakes in the $500-$699 range
09-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Wait a minute.... I thought the K-r sucked? Was "boring", not a great upgrade, etc. Now you're going to pull the trigger? The amount of whining around here is really sad, when no one has even taken one picture with this camera. You can bitch and moan all day, but let's see the IMAGES before we make ill-informed announcements.

Suggested retail price is always high. I'm sure the price will drop 30% by Christmas.
The paper specs were boring and I had stated that I was waiting for test images. Then I saw the high ISO test shots, that's exciting and something I would buy into, if the price were lower.

Press release = boring.

Test shots = exciting.

What's not to get? If anything, this complete lack of reading comprehension skills on your part is the real tragedy here.
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #64
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
Does anyone know if the kr autofocuses in video?
if it is to compete w/ the d3100, that would be one minus if it didn't AF in video
pre-production with firmware 0.2 has no AF.

09-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #65
ogl
Pentaxian

The paper specs were boring and I had stated that I was waiting for test images. Then I saw the high ISO test shots, that's exciting and something I would buy into, if the price were lower.

Press release = boring.

Test shots = exciting.

What's not to get? If anything, this complete lack of reading comprehension skills on your part is the real tragedy here.
paper specs are cool...AF speed and buffer and AF system is better than K-7.
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #66

Press release = boring.

Test shots = exciting.

No, I read it correctly. You're basically trolling at this point.
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #67
Veteran Member

No, I read it correctly. You're basically trolling at this point.
Yeah, I and the 20 other people on this thread who are underwhelmed by the K-r are trolling. The 20 other people on the other thread bitching about this thread are not trolling, right?

So my opinion that the paper specs were underwhelming and that the test images were great somehow offended you enough to make it personal. Don't get too worked up, buddy, there are more important things in life.
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #68

Yeah, I and the 20 other people on this thread who are underwhelmed by the K-r are trolling. The 20 other people on the other thread bitching about this thread are not trolling, right?

So my opinion that the paper specs were underwhelming and that the test images were great somehow offended you enough to make it personal. Don't get too worked up, buddy, there are more important things in life.
You should take your own advice. I'm totally calm...you seem to be worked up and a little sensitive. It's nothing personal...I just wish people would stop making judgements based on paper stats. And it could be argued that those stats are actually quite impressive, and class-leading for an entry-level/mid-level camera. That's what this is, a "basic, non pro" model with lots of pro features. So expecting WR, top LCD, etc, is really unrealistic.

Anyway, people are getting excited/worked up on both sides. Whatever your opinion, I think we all can agree that we want Pentax to succeed.

09-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #69
Veteran Member

You should take your own advice. I'm totally calm...you seem to be worked up and a little sensitive. It's nothing personal...I just wish people would stop making judgements based on paper stats. And it could be argued that those stats are actually quite impressive, and class-leading for an entry-level/mid-level camera. That's what this is, a "basic, non pro" model with lots of pro features. So expecting WR, top LCD, etc, is really unrealistic.

Anyway, people are getting excited/worked up on both sides. Whatever your opinion, I think we all can agree that we want Pentax to succeed.
Thank you, I agree.
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #70

Looks great!

I think it looks like a wonderful camera. since I own a K-x, I won't be changing to the K-r BUT if I were in the market for an under $800 camera, the K-r would be a strong contender.

The large LCD screen and the AF assist would be features that all K-x owners would like to have I bet.

Maybe I'm unsophisticated, but WHO CARES about AF illumination points in the viewfinder. I swear most people slate the K-x for this lack of AF points 'cause they read somewhere else that this feature is a big deal.

My wife's Oly e620 has them and I don't get the importance? Of course, I tend to operate on single point AF mode anyway so .......

Good job Pentax!
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #71

I use a k-x but i don't consider myself Pentax fan or whatever. I do not feel joy, enthusiasm or disappointment regarding their new gear (maybe curiosity). I bought Pentax as my first dslr based on price-for-performance, the support one can get on this forum, and the possibility to use old cheap great lenses and learn.
I don't think i can compare in terms of "upgrade" k-x and k-r, using already k-x. Upgrade would mean to me not another entry level, so pentaprism, wr, etc.
I'm not there yet, neither as photo knowledge, ability to take great shots, financially&others.
If i would be in the situation to buy my first entry level dslr now, i would choose the k-r against Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Samsung, Panasonic, Leica etc. (when the price would be for 2 lens kit max 750$ and after i see some positive opinions of users outdoors). I did not suffered from no points in viewfinder since i did not used them on another camera. I could not compare AF speed, AF-C tracking, AF beam vs flash assist etc., but i am happy and still learning from and with my camera so far.
I played with a D90 (different class though) for a little and i liked pentaprism, LCD display, AF beam, focus confirmation in viewfinder, but i disliked a LOT the size and weight (with grip).
So except pentaprism (but maybe this is for a superior class) K-r has, i-the-beginner believe, what an PS/bridge enthusiast with low budget needs to enter DSLR world.
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kace Quote
I think it looks like a wonderful camera. since I own a K-x, I won't be changing to the K-r BUT if I were in the market for an under $800 camera, the K-r would be a strong contender.

The large LCD screen and the AF assist would be features that all K-x owners would like to have I bet.

Maybe I'm unsophisticated, but WHO CARES about AF illumination points in the viewfinder. I swear most people slate the K-x for this lack of AF points 'cause they read somewhere else that this feature is a big deal.

My wife's Oly e620 has them and I don't get the importance? Of course, I tend to operate on single point AF mode anyway so .......

Good job Pentax!
For some people it's nice to know exactly where the camera is focusing. It's like a soft-touch interior in a car. You don't need it for the car to work but it is a nice touch.
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #73
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
If i would be in the situation to buy my first entry level dslr now, i would choose the k-r against Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Samsung, Panasonic, Leica etc. (when the price would be for 2 lens kit max 750$ and after i see some positive opinions of users outdoors). I did not suffered from no points in viewfinder since i did not used them on another camera. I could not compare AF speed, AF-C tracking, AF beam vs flash assist etc., but i am happy and still learning from and with my camera so far.
I played with a D90 (different class though) for a little and i liked pentaprism, LCD display, AF beam, focus confirmation in viewfinder, but i disliked a LOT the size and weight (with grip).
So except pentaprism (but maybe this is for a superior class) K-r has, i-the-beginner believe, what an PS/bridge enthusiast with low budget needs to enter DSLR world.
This is a perceptive post. The only thing remaining is seeing how the new entry-level models released by Canon and Nikon stack up against the K-r - they're all at around the same RRP now...
09-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #74

Hah, people are weird when it comes to technical stuff, even more when it's related to cameras.

This is the first Pentax body that I even think of when I'm upgrading from K200D. There are only a few minor things I think the K200D is missing. A bit higher ISO, better AF, bigger buffer and a 2nd wheel. I'm waiting for the K5 specs and doing my decisions after that.

To me k-r looks very promising. I'm able to live with some minor things not included in the list above.

I'm listening to Canikon gearbrandmodelmegapixelWhoHasTheMostExpensiveStuff&widestzoomrange bragging in school all the time (I started photography studies last week), when I showed some shots from the rear lcd taken with K200D + DA* 50-135mm to people who have shooted longer than I am, I got this answer: Well your camera has a better screen.

Those people shoot with Canon 40D & 50D and are always drooling after superzooms and other gadgets that won't matter when it comes to image quality. That's why I mostly hang out with the ladies who shoot and keep the gearheadism away.

So shut your computers and take your cameras for a walk, they are better than you think.

Last edited by Horst-Helmut; 09-09-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
09-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #75
Site Supporter

The k-r vs. k-7 debate would have taken longer for me to resolve.. but I'm still glad I went k-7. The 7's size is right for me, and the extra touches in ruggedness and versatility still make it the winner in my book. I stop at iso1600 so the sensor update doesn't affect me as much as some people.