Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #91
Inactive Account

As person who's looking for my first DSLR, I'm thinking the K-r is looking mighty fine.
Just waiting for some reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to get it around Christmas time.

09-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #92
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
What are people complaining about? Compare the price and features with the K-x price at launch, not a year after! It looks to be an amazing camera, especially if the shutter blur issue is gone as well. Lets see:

- New AF system that is really fast by all accounts. K7 with firmware update already beats Canon 550D, this is even an improvement on that.
- Large, high res LCD.
-Fastest FPS ever for Pentax, almost double the 550D's.
-1 stop better high ISO than K-x! Which was already almost the top high-ISO performer in APS-C.
-Focus point indicators in viewfinder
-AF adjustment (not even the Canon 60D has this)
-AF assist lamp
-Intervalometer (only camera in class to have this, I think)
-Bracketing (lacking in D3100)
-Choice of AA or Li-Ion battery (only camera to offer this)
-Bettter build quality than the Canon and probably the Nikon

And all the +'s you still get with Pentax: In-body SR, in-body AF motor and cheaper high-end lenses. The camera is worth $800 easily! I paid $1200 for my K-x twin-lens (55-300mm) kit 7 months ago (outside the US). People living in the US should not complain about prices, you have it really lucky.

don't forget the kr now comes with a lithium ion battery AND charger which also costs $
09-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #93
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
don't forget the kr now comes with a lithium ion battery AND charger which also costs $
The AA is an option, therefore an extra expense requiring an adapter, is my impression.
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
Hi

I made quick check and here in Finland prices are:

K-r kit: 649,90euro
K-x kit: 499,90euro
K7 wr kit: 893,90euro
Canon T1i/500 kit:
Canon T2i/550 kit: 699,00euro
And K-r body: 549€

09-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the average new customer to the world of SLR’s wont likely be thinking about a ’new lens’. at the time of purchase of a brand new body and kit lens. also the average new buyer will likely want the k-r over the K-x for no other reason than its newer. they will likely figure without looking at too many specs that its newness means that its better and the price is justified. there are a lot of people who do enough and in some cases to much research on such purchases, but I think you are giving the average ’new’ customer to this market far too much credit.
So what you're saying is, that you agree with me that the Kr is over priced? Because it sounds like you're implying (now correct me if I'm wrong) that if the average consumer did enough/good research they would see that a new/used Kx would be a better deal because of the $ savings?

Because thats my opinion, the Kr's price is not justified by the new features.
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #96
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
So what you're saying is, that you agree with me that the Kr is over priced? Because it sounds like you're implying (now correct me if I'm wrong) that if the average consumer did enough/good research they would see that a new/used Kx would be a better deal because of the $ savings?

Because thats my opinion, the Kr's price is not justified by the new features.
yes and no. my point was that most consumers in fact do not do the proper research. why do you think so many end up buying some canon or nikon from best buy or something similar? and that its quite common for people to assume that because the camera is a newer model, it automatically must be better. and if its better, its no surprise its more expensive. you are comparing from the viewpoint of someone who has done research and who already owns a body, in this case the K-x. (which means its understandable the view you have taken, given that the K-r is an upgraded K-x) you however are not the target audience for the K-r. for you, Pentax would like you to be looking at a k-7 or even better a K-5. also, your opinion is only that. your opinion. personally I feel that the price based on the new features is reasonable given pentax’s position in the market and understanding they cant price as competitively as the big guys. I also realize that the street price will be lower than the MSRP. since the K-r answered nearly all complaints about the K-x, I think its a fine option for its target audience, and comes in at a price vs performance ratio that is at present unmatched in the market.

as for being a better deal due to lower cost. well that is something that is up to the individual, and not all new customers will see that lower cost as an advantage. with the current thinking and actions of consumers, I think the typical view is that if its older its not as good. people will start passing over the K-x in favor of the K-r for this reason alone. (and of course Pentax would very much like people to do that) you give the average consumer too much credit, or you are making your judgement from the perspective of an owner and not a new entrant into the market.
09-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
yes and no. my point was that most consumers in fact do not do the proper research. why do you think so many end up buying some canon or nikon from best buy or something similar? and that its quite common for people to assume that because the camera is a newer model, it automatically must be better. and if its better, its no surprise its more expensive. you are comparing from the viewpoint of someone who has done research and who already owns a body, in this case the K-x. (which means its understandable the view you have taken, given that the K-r is an upgraded K-x) you however are not the target audience for the K-r. for you, Pentax would like you to be looking at a k-7 or even better a K-5. also, your opinion is only that. your opinion. personally I feel that the price based on the new features is reasonable given pentax’s position in the market and understanding they cant price as competitively as the big guys. I also realize that the street price will be lower than the MSRP. since the K-r answered nearly all complaints about the K-x, I think its a fine option for its target audience, and comes in at a price vs performance ratio that is at present unmatched in the market.

as for being a better deal due to lower cost. well that is something that is up to the individual, and not all new customers will see that lower cost as an advantage. with the current thinking and actions of consumers, I think the typical view is that if its older its not as good. people will start passing over the K-x in favor of the K-r for this reason alone. (and of course Pentax would very much like people to do that) you give the average consumer too much credit, or you are making your judgement from the perspective of an owner and not a new entrant into the market.
I completely agree with you that most new camera consumers will buy what is "new" and they will pay more for that new product with little to no research and Pentax knows this and might have played a part in their pricing for the Kr. I never debated that point, I believe we were making 2 separate points.

So, my original point was a very basic one and my oipnion (and yes I know its only MY opinion) is that the Kr's new features are not worth the extra $ you will have to spend over the Kx. Because this thread was about the Kr and pricing all I was trying to point out was that I truly believe that a new or used Kx is a better deal than a new Kr. Now with the $ you save from not buying a Kr and buying a Kx, I would buy a new lens, others might buy something else but the bottom line is that you save 100s of dollars from buying a Kx and that is my main reason for the Kx being a better deal.

**Just saw on Amazon that the 2 lens kit is in fact $1000. So I guess they are selling at the MSRP.

Last edited by KxBlaze; 09-10-2010 at 07:16 PM.
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #98

Good for Pentax, bringing such aggressive feature/pricing.

Now to see how well it handles noise in this very high ISO. If well, it's a killer.