Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Shutter speed change?

Has not the shutter speed dropped down to 1/6000. Is this an indication there was a problem with the previous version?

09-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Has not the shutter speed dropped down to 1/6000. Is this an indication there was a problem with the previous version?
Last I looked, the Kx was 1/6000 also.
To my knowledge only the K-7 had 1/8000.
I suspect the new K-5 will follow suite.
Personally I love this feature and have been craving it with my K20's for some time now. It will be a major improvement for me to push wider apertures rather than using ND filters.
09-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-R fact sheet (and future reviews): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/113820-pentax-k-r.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks great! - thx

09-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Anyone else noticed that its priced almost the same in $$$ as in £££. That must be a first
09-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I'm dissapointed by the video that those guys in colorado made.
It tells or shows almost nothing. No shutter sound. and it was filmed poorly, wobbling.

what about this announcement.. I'm neither surpriced nor dissapointed.
I owned K10, k20, k7 and now have kx,
while new focus system with illuminated af points seems a good thing, also lens fine tuning and interval shooting is a good add. while second wheel would make me buy it and sell kx, right now.. I think i'll have to wait some more news about k5
09-09-2010, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Proud? I could barely stifle a yawn half way through the press release.

The improvements are marginal at best and most of it will require comprehensive testing. A higher max ISO means nothing to me until the test photos come out.

It's slightly faster in FPS, higher max-ISO, better LCD screen, looks slightly better with the angular K-7 prism housing design, AF point illumination, possibly better AF and metering and AF assist light. Whoopity doo.

There's no way in hell I'm upgrading from my K-x unless the picture quality were markedly superior in noise control. As an MF user, the AF features are completely lost on me, unfortunately but I'm sure could be of benefit to AF users.

I'm sure it'll be a great camera for the beginner getting his first DSLR but it looks pretty pathetic to a K-x owner like myself.
to each his own.

it might be pathetic to you, but i give kudos to pentax for addressing most of the Kx's shortcomings.

AF SAFOX IX
AF assist light
better LCD screen
nitpicky AF illumination points
dual battery
AF adjust (albeit for 1 lens only) but CANIKON doesn't even do this at this level

granted it's not a gargantuan upgrade, but they did their work.
now to wait for the actual test results and an adjustment of the MSRP IMHO, a bit too high.

it's still "missing" the wired remote

09-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #38

I don't know what sense it would be to replace a Kx. But perhaps my K100D eventually will be replaced with one of these babies.
09-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #39

After shooting my k-x with a friend recently, who has a d90, the only thing I was left wanting was the LCD. Also the AF assist beam would be good when I'm not using taks. Those two things alone make it a worthy upgrade I think.
09-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #40
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

really cool
09-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

really cool
Yep. ISO 12800 looking better than 1600 does on my current camera. This here looks to be a real winner.
09-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

really cool
could you give source to where you've found this?

any uncropped images?
09-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
other than the quicker shooting speed, i see no reason to switch over to a K-r from my K-x. The higher res LCD looks nice too btw.
How about the assisted AF light and dedicated focus point indicators? Will these justify the upgrade cost? For me, no. However, the AF assist is what I really really wishing for.
09-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Does anyone know if the kr autofocuses in video?
if it is to compete w/ the d3100, that would be one minus if it didn't AF in video
09-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
The T2i is selling at it's MSRP right now and it's been out for a while, and when the Kr hit's shelves that's what it will be competing with, for the small feature set and with the price of the Kx, I can't image paying for this over the T2i or over the D3100

I don't see why this couldn't have the same MSRP as the Kx since it was only a tiny incremental upgrade, imagine if the Kx had a price of $850, there might have been riots in the streets because it's not a $850 dollar camera
Why can't it be $200?? Seriously, I don't think the K-x (and probably the K-r) is any worse than the t2i. t2i might be better with video and the pixel count, but for everything else the K-x hold up to and even bypass the t2i. Personally, I think the pixel count means nothing at their levels. Hopefully the price for the K-r drop a bit nearing the holiday