Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #76
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Horst-Helmut, there will fortunately or unfortunately always be the 'need', or should I just say demand, for higher performing gear, both with cameras and lenses. No doubt, the camera companies live and thrive off this demand - after all, if every Pentaxian were content with a *ist D there'd be no camera body sales and no money for further R&D and upgrades.

So perhaps you and I aren't going to be Pentax's favourite customers, nor is Pentax seeking to address our 'needs' - they'd be looking more towards newbies and enthusiasts keen to progress up with each model and lens that is produced and fits their requirements...

This is fine - it's a good thing. It keeps Pentax going, and discerning users thinking...

09-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #77

Not exactly what I was hoping for in a K200D replacement but 99% there. For me, the ISO performance is reason enough to upgrade. It fixes the show stopper (for me) of the kx - AF select point.

What it is missing (for me) is a battery grip and weather seals. I can live with that as a trade for the high ISO. My K200 will be a fine second/spare/backup body.

Already preordered on Amazon.
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #78

I want one

Not exactly what I was hoping for in a K200D replacement but 99% there. For me, the ISO performance is reason enough to upgrade. It fixes the show stopper (for me) of the kx - AF select point.

What it is missing (for me) is a battery grip and weather seals. I can live with that as a trade for the high ISO. My K200 will be a fine second/spare/backup body.

Already preordered on Amazon.
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems like a fine upgrade.
And we are also holding on to our K200D
In fact we still have our 100 Super here as well
Some people have a hard time letting go

09-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Looks like a promising sign for what we'll see in the K5, at the very least. (That's the kind of high-ISO neighborhood I'd find tempting, and I hope the new AF system's good. )

Don't see why so many are harshing on it, this looks like a fine camera for the position. Substantial improvement on the K-x which already seemed a winner by most accounts.

My own hopes are mostly that the K-5 will be a good upgrade for me when the time comes, which I don't expect would be for some time, yet, but it's looking like it'll be pretty tempting.
09-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm also disappointed in the Kr and this is 100% due to the price. $1000 for the 2 kit lens???? This is probably much more than amatuers who are looking for their first ever DSLR will be willing to spend. The reasons I bought a Kx were obviously for the features (the reviews told me about the features) and the price. The Kx is cheaper than almost every other entry level DSLR worth looking at and out performs most of them too.

Now that I am a little more seasoned in photography I would tell someone who is looking for an entry level DLSR to buy a Kx, or if they are willing to spend a litte more money, to buy a T2i.

I'm not putting an exact high price for a "entry-level" DSLR but I think $800 for body only is too much and will put a lot of newbies off the Pentax brand.

Bottom line: The Kr is a great camera but the price is not worthy of an entry-level Pentax camera.

Just My Opinion.
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I'm also disappointed in the Kr and this is 100% due to the price. $1000 for the 2 kit lens???? This is probably much more than amatuers who are looking for their first ever DSLR will be willing to spend. The reasons I bought a Kx were obviously for the features (the reviews told me about the features) and the price. The Kx is cheaper than almost every other entry level DSLR worth looking at and out performs most of them too.

Now that I am a little more seasoned in photography I would tell someone who is looking for an entry level DLSR to buy a Kx, or if they are willing to spend a litte more money, to buy a T2i.

I'm not putting an exact high price for a "entry-level" DSLR but I think $800 for body only is too much and will put a lot of newbies off the Pentax brand.

Bottom line: The Kr is a great camera but the price is not worthy of an entry-level Pentax camera.

Just My Opinion.
Aren't the additional features worth the price difference? The price you're bemoaning about is not even the street price, which is gonna be less than RRP. Sorry but I think your price argument is questionable.

Last edited by creampuff; 09-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.
09-10-2010, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #83

Photos: Albums
What are people complaining about? Compare the price and features with the K-x price at launch, not a year after! It looks to be an amazing camera, especially if the shutter blur issue is gone as well. Lets see:

- New AF system that is really fast by all accounts. K7 with firmware update already beats Canon 550D, this is even an improvement on that.
- Large, high res LCD.
-Fastest FPS ever for Pentax, almost double the 550D's.
-1 stop better high ISO than K-x! Which was already almost the top high-ISO performer in APS-C.
-Focus point indicators in viewfinder
-AF adjustment (not even the Canon 60D has this)
-AF assist lamp
-Intervalometer (only camera in class to have this, I think)
-Bracketing (lacking in D3100)
-Choice of AA or Li-Ion battery (only camera to offer this)
-Bettter build quality than the Canon and probably the Nikon

And all the +'s you still get with Pentax: In-body SR, in-body AF motor and cheaper high-end lenses. The camera is worth $800 easily! I paid $1200 for my K-x twin-lens (55-300mm) kit 7 months ago (outside the US). People living in the US should not complain about prices, you have it really lucky.
09-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #84

Hi

I made quick check and here in Finland prices are:

K-r kit: 649,90euro
K-x kit: 499,90euro
K7 wr kit: 893,90euro
Canon T1i/500 kit:
Canon T2i/550 kit: 699,00euro
09-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
Hi

I made quick check and here in Finland prices are:

K-r kit: 649,90euro
K-x kit: 499,90euro
K7 wr kit: 893,90euro
Canon T1i/500 kit:
Canon T2i/550 kit: 699,00euro
That is K-x today and K-r at launch, right?
- 150 Euro almost seems reasonable for only LCD and focus assist beam already

Potential "problem" is that maybe the K-x becomes even more cheaper faster than the K-r, then you might be able to get 2x K-x for the price of 1x K-r...
09-10-2010, 05:46 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
- New AF system that is really fast by all accounts. K7 with firmware update already beats Canon 550D, this is even an improvement on that.
-1 stop better high ISO than K-x! Which was already almost the top high-ISO performer in APS-C.
First see then believe, but as good as K-x is already reasonable, even better is of course better...
09-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Aren't the additional features worth the price difference? The price you're bemoaning about is not even the street price, which is gonna be less than RRP. Sorry but I think your price argument is questionable.
I did not think about the actual price being less than the MSRP but still, it may be $100 less, so I'll put it at $900 for the 2 lens kit. That is still over priced.

Also, I do not think the additional features are worth the additional price. If someone who is looking for a first DLSR comes across a new Kx 2 lens kit for $700 (even less by the time the Kr comes out), compares it to a Kr, do you think that person would see enough of a difference to pay more than $200, me personally I wouldn't do it.

I would rather save the extra $200-300 and buy a new lens for my new Kx.
09-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #88
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I did not think about the actual price being less than the MSRP but still, it may be $100 less, so I'll put it at $900 for the 2 lens kit. That is still over priced.

Also, I do not think the additional features are worth the additional price. If someone who is looking for a first DLSR comes across a new Kx 2 lens kit for $700 (even less by the time the Kr comes out), compares it to a Kr, do you think that person would see enough of a difference to pay more than $200, me personally I wouldn't do it.

I would rather save the extra $200-300 and buy a new lens for my new Kx.
the average new customer to the world of SLR’s wont likely be thinking about a ’new lens’. at the time of purchase of a brand new body and kit lens. also the average new buyer will likely want the k-r over the K-x for no other reason than its newer. they will likely figure without looking at too many specs that its newness means that its better and the price is justified. there are a lot of people who do enough and in some cases to much research on such purchases, but I think you are giving the average ’new’ customer to this market far too much credit.
09-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
That is K-x today and K-r at launch, right?

Yes, prices are taken from finnish webshop today.
I forgot input that T1i/500 price, it is 669,- euro.
Nikon kits are: D3000 is 449,- and D3100 599,90 and D5000 549,90.
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #90
ogl
Banned

K-r can use CR-V3 and CS-205 cable