Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Going back to the original post of this thread, regarding the Safox VIII and IX, and Safox IX+ ....
Could anyone dare assuming that perhaps the AF system which will be used in the K5 MIGHT be capable of locking on/tracking a moving subject ?
The K-7 already does that, just not as efficiently as some other high-end cameras. My hope for the K-5 is a bit more points to cover the blind spots and the ability to react faster, especially between shots so that AF-C could run faster than 2-3fps like the K-7 does. Low-light AF has never been so much an issue for me, even with the K10D actually (I had a late production run model, and I never seen much difference between it and the K20D).

09-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

There were some of us saying before the announcement on the Kr, that if Pentax only did a few new things with the camera, it would be a success.

Well one of my suggestions was improving the AF (see this one a lot), put in cable shutter (nope, still have to use IR control), and put in AF adjustments (they did but perhaps only universal, but it helps a lot)

But on AF, wow, we got the same new AF module that was used on the $10,000 645D on the Kr. way to go. Some people say we need to have predictive AF. I don't know enough about how predictive AF works, but wouldn't one need a lot of AF points, like the 51 that Nikon uses on the D200, D300, to get predictive tracking of AF?? I just checked on the new Canon 60D and it still only has 9 AF points, 2 less than Pentax's 11 point system. The only thing different about the Canon 50D, 60D cameras is that they have a sensitive f2.8 effective center focal point (just one :-)). I really doubt that Canon has predictive tracking either, but the low light response of their center focal point is probably helping their rep a lot.

If one goes to the Pentax site, one finds words like "drastically improved algorithyms"

QuoteQuote:
The K-r’s high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to assure pinpoint focus on the subject. The K-r is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations. The accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during Live View shooting has also been enhanced by the incorporation of a new-generation image sensor and drastic upgrading of AF algorithms.
PENTAX K-r A multi-featured, entry-class digital SLR camera, featuring simple operation and a host of creative tools in a compact, lightweight body

Hey, i think Pentax has another winning camera model on their hands - way to go Pentax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (still need testing/supported reviews - but still, looks good so far)
09-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread so far: according to DPReview, the SAFOX IX AF sensors cover a wider area of the frame than those of SAFOX VIII (ref: Pentax K-r Preview: 2. What's New: Digital Photography Review)
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

The main difference. It's simply FASTER AF.

Brightness Range EV-1 to 18 (ISO 100)
AF modes:
Focus priority or shutter priority mode for AF.S.
Focus priority or FPS priority mode for AF.C.

09-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The main difference. It's simply FASTER AF.

Brightness Range EV-1 to 18 (ISO 100)
AF modes:
Focus priority or shutter priority mode for AF.S.
Focus priority or FPS priority mode for AF.C.
Interesting. We'll of course have to wait for actual measurements to see how the new AF module is performing.
09-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

This is the DSLR, not rumors section ...

This is the DSLR, not rumors section ...

So, let me post the facts as they are known in public up to date:
  • 645D: SAFOX IX+ (with the color temperature sensor)
  • K-r:
  • SAFOX IX (without the color temperature sensor)
  • Brightness Range EV-1 to 18 (ISO 100) (EV-1 would be very good!!) (from Pentax JP English language press release)
  • "Renewed AF sensor optics, the most recent 11-point wide focus has enabled more accurate AF sensor system" (from Pentax JP press release)
  • Rumors K-5: Renewed AF system, possible more than 11 points
  • I confirm here that Pentax is convinced that the K-5 AF system will be worth a close look
  • Patent: A Pentax patent published 2 weeks ago describes a major improvement by providing anti shake to the AF module.
Anything beyond this is pure speculation except if somebody breaks his NDA. And should be reserved to the Rumors section.
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
But on AF, wow, we got the same new AF module that was used on the $10,000 645D on the Kr. way to go.
[...]
Some people say we need to have predictive AF. I don't know enough about how predictive AF works, but wouldn't one need a lot of AF points, like the 51 that Nikon uses on the D200, D300, to get predictive tracking of AF??
[...]
If one goes to the Pentax site, one finds words like "drastically improved algorithyms"
Well, the 645D basically got the K-7 AF system with obviously improved AF-sensors, now retrofitted into K-r. The 645D is believed to have the greatest AF system for any MF camera. Basically because AF for medium format never was so evolved than for 35mm.

Predictive AF is an algorithm measuring (and extrapolating) the distance of a subject at some time. It's an easy thing actually and some anti-aircraft warfare in WWII already included a mechanical computer to do a similiar thing for the target position at the time when hit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflection_(military))). It is very elementary stuff. Pentax AF.C is supposed to have it too.

A prediction of a target jumping from one AF sensor to the next (and disappearing in between) would be another great idea but isn't done AFAIK.

The words "drastically improved algorithms" in the JPN press release apply to contrast focus detection only. Please be careful in citing. IMHO, drastically improved algorithms will not suffice to make contrast AF useful. It should read "an entirely new revolutionary algorithm". The current algorithm is dead end and cannot be rescued. I say it as somebody who kows at least one working CAF algorithm (mine) and I they are nowhere even near.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-09-2010 at 10:15 AM.
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The K-7 already does that, just not as efficiently as some other high-end cameras. My hope for the K-5 is a bit more points to cover the blind spots and the ability to react faster, especially between shots so that AF-C could run faster than 2-3fps like the K-7 does. Low-light AF has never been so much an issue for me, even with the K10D actually (I had a late production run model, and I never seen much difference between it and the K20D).
AFAIK the AF-points on the Pentax cameras are much larger and there aren't really blind spots between the AF points.

Prediction is much more important for me, that is, predicting where the focus should be when a target is moving away or toward me.
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
AFAIK the AF-points on the Pentax cameras are much larger and there aren't really blind spots between the AF points.
Yes and it actually bothers me.

The AF sensor areas cover the entire middle area (actually marked nicely on the matte screen). There are blind spots but they are on the diagonals between two AF points which aren't exact neighbors (like between the "1" and "5" center).

I would really appreciate a smaller area center sensor (preferably a f/2.8 & f/5.6 dual type sensor) which allows me to better control where exactly my camera focusses at. If I focus onto a the rear eye, I don't want the camera to focus on the nose edge which is still crossing the center area.

Maybe, the f/2.8 sensor should be small and the f/5.6 sensor should be normal size as it helps with tele shots on the other hand...
09-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Agreed on the limitations. This is why I have ordered a focus screen for manual focus override.
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Fill in the blanks
Don't mind if I do!

QuoteQuote:
TOP SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Complete new BS! New ANIMAL,more IN ARENAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
But only for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same SOUL...should be BANANASPLIT slot.
says only BREAKFAST but could not try it on EAR SNAP. the firmware was not the last,but the motor in the TSETSE is DEADLY CANADIANBACON with MOUTHPIECE lenses.
whait a couple of days...i think next week.......
If this is true, I'm totally psyched!
09-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Fill in the blanks

I've censored to protect my source.

Subject: Re: k-5
***** *****(Forum Member)

Complete new **!New ******,more ** *****s!!!!!!!!!!!!

same *o**...should be *********** slot.
says only ********t but could not try it on *** ****.the firmware was not the last,but the motor in the ****** is ****** ************* with ********** lenses.

Take what you want from my post
Complete new PR!New CAMERA,more AF POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

same BODY...should be FULL FRAME slot.
says only KAF2 MOUNT but could not try it on DA* LENS.the firmware was not the last,but the motor in the CAMERA is FASTER AUTOFOCUSING with ULTRASONIC lenses.
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Yeahtzee is a prime example of this, the guys work is amazing yet he pulls it off with duct tape and toilet paper rolls.
Add rubber bands to the list

I appreciate the compliment btw...
09-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Add rubber bands to the list

I appreciate the compliment btw...
I wasn't complimenting you, I was making fun of you :P haha

But yes it's true, your a great example of making the best of limitations and still kicking ass.
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

My alternative is, go out photograph, chase and sleep with girls etc etc.
So why are you still here ?