Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Different between Safox VIII+ and Safox IX?

Does anyone know the different between Safox VIII+ on K-7 and the Safox IX on 645D and upcoming K-R? I think the Safox IX is slightly wider..but any different in terms of speed and accuracy (esp. in low lit or larger aperture like F1.4) ?

Vincent

09-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only thing I know is that the '+' refers to the secondary color sensor, used to determine the light source temperature and adjust AF accordingly...
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like the K-R has the Safox 9 and the K-5 will have the 9+ in it.
That's my guess at least
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #4

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of this (yes, I know it was just announced, but it seems odd there are lots of posts about color options and none about the new AF).

I've long been of the camp that although, yes, historically Pentax AF has been a bit on the slow side compared to the Canikon alternatives, that the Pentax algorithms did really quite well in low light, and prioritized accuracy over speed.

That being said, it would be a huge boon if the new system has any significant advantages over the old ones, especially in terms of tracking motion.

Here's hoping the K-5 shows up with it soon as well.

09-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, with each version of SAFOX we can at least look forward to some improvement. I'd be keen to see the K-r and K-5 in action in this regard. SAFOX IX+ sounds promising.
09-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a decent summary of the new SAFOX:

from Pentax K-r Digital Camera - Preview - The Imaging Resource!

Pentax has also upgraded the K-r's autofocus system to its latest SAFOX IX system, a designation which has only previously been applied to the company's medium format 645D model. Compared to the previous-generation SAFOX VIII system used in the K-x and K-r, SAFOX IX has the same point count and arrangement, but several important differences. There are a total of eleven points, of which all but two are cross-type, sensitive to both horizontal and vertical detail. The cross-type points are arranged in a three by three grid towards the center of the image frame, while on either side of this grid there's one linear sensor.

The SAFOX IX AF module's optics have improved transparency, which should translate to improved performance in low light. The AF module's optics also have better controlled aberration, improving autofocus accuracy. Ambient temperature should also have less of an impact on the SAFOX IX module.
09-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. Imaging Resource has this info for SAFOX IX:
"The SAFOX IX AF module's optics have improved transparency, which should translate to improved performance in low light. The AF module's optics also have better controlled aberration, improving autofocus accuracy. Ambient temperature should also have less of an impact on the SAFOX IX module. Sharp-eyed readers will note that the K-r's SAFOX module lacks the "+" designation of the modules featured in the 645D and K-7, and this hints at one omission in the Pentax K-r's AF system. Where the K-7 and 645D both include a secondary light color sensor dedicated to determining the light source type, which is then taken into account when determining focus, the Pentax K-r lacks this function."

Sounds good to me

09-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds good, especially that I have had the occasion of comparing D90 with Kx on focus accuracy in various situations and there is quite a big difference in favor of the nikon. Especially when using flash, the Kx performed rather poorly.

Very curious about the K5
09-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Cross type sensors on 9 of the points is very promising indeed.
09-09-2010, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Fill in the blanks

I've censored to protect my source.

Subject: Re: k-5
***** *****(Forum Member)

TOP SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Complete new **!New ******,more ** *****s!!!!!!!!!!!!
But only for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same *o**...should be *********** slot.
says only ********t but could not try it on *** ****.the firmware was not the last,but the motor in the ****** is ****** ************* with ********** lenses.
whait a couple of days...i think next week.......

Take what you want from my post

Last edited by Christopher M.W.T; 09-09-2010 at 05:16 AM.
09-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Cross type sensors on 9 of the points is very promising indeed.
Nothing new, Pentax has this since at least the first *ist D dating from... 2003.
09-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Nothing new, Pentax has this since at least the first *ist D dating from... 2003.
Dude your so depressing and negative.

Do you only own Pentax so you can complain about it?
09-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Dude your so depressing and negative.

Do you only own Pentax so you can complain about it?
I'm not negative but I reckon I may be depressing with stating the obvious facts. The SAFOX is wetting my appetite but 9 cross-type sensors is very old news. I want more.
09-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not negative but I reckon I may be depressing with stating the obvious facts. The SAFOX is wetting my appetite but 9 cross-type sensors is very old news. I want more.
Why? Will it make you a better photographer? you know some guys get some awesome work with just manual lenses

I travelled with a guy who shot a the Red Bull airshow thing in Perth with just a manual Tamron and got some great shots.

If you want more then spend more: get a D3x, 1Ds, etc.
09-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

How about a double confirmation...
Click your profile and look at your last 10 posts.
Every single one of them contains a negative comment with regards to the latest release.

Now if you were positive you would have(at least) had the motivation to post something positive about these latest announcements rather than when someone else mentioned your negativity.

TBH, I don't get why there are so many doom and gloom lurkers flooding the forums at announcement times(makes no sense).