09-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, more AF points on the K-5 eh

09-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
How about a double confirmation...
Click your profile and look at your last 10 posts.
Every single one of them contains a negative comment with regards to the latest release.

Now if you were positive you would have(at least) had the motivation to post something positive about these latest announcements rather than when someone else mentioned your negativity.

TBH, I don't get why there are so many doom and gloom lurkers flooding the forums at announcement times(makes no sense).
I don't know.

Pentax users kind of remind me of Star Trek fans in some respects, which ironically I am also a follower of.

I use to lurk on the trek forums many years ago and read some of the crap, quite amusing how sad some peoples lives are.

My alternative is, go out photograph, chase and sleep with girls etc etc.
09-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote

I use to lurk on the trek forums many years ago and read some of the crap, quite amusing how sad some peoples lives are.
The people that lurk or the people that actually type something?
09-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Hmmm, more AF points on the K-5 eh
Yes, no, maybe, no comment.

09-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Fill in the blanks

I've censored to protect my source.

Subject: Re: k-5
***** *****(Forum Member)

TOP SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Complete new **!New ******,more ** *****s!!!!!!!!!!!!
But only for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take what you want from my post
Complete new AF! New Sensor?, more AF Points
09-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's all very strange tbh.

I also think this type of mindset can lead to much more serious obsessions.
Just look at RiceHigh... If you followed him from the early days, it became obvious that his anti-Pentax obsession began slowly and progressed into what we could only call a full blown disease. Now, the guy is some clearly disturbed by all that is Pentax that seems to live day to day putting together anti-Pentax propaganda as a means to feed his disorder(see: changing poll results).

What's worst is that he seems to have a small group of followers(lol) which I think are in a full swing of propaganda in places such as dpreview etc(not sure about here but I have my doubts).

Anyways, it's very disturbing to think that people like that exist. But on the bright side, I guess we can be glad that we don't have to deal with such people in real life().
09-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
TBH, I don't get why there are so many doom and gloom lurkers flooding the forums at announcement times(makes no sense).
Well, if Pentax announce the K-r's great new innovation is that it can accept all K mount lenses, will you still be giddying like a little girl? To some people who have lived long enough to know the history of things, they notice how certain features are just nothing more than rewording of things that either already there or a reintroduction of something that was there. Like it or not, expecting everyone here to have the same opinion and POV as you do makes no sense. You can get your ego stroke somewhere else, I suppose.

09-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why? Will it make you a better photographer? you know some guys get some awesome work with just manual lenses
Yeah if you don't have any good argument attack the person on his/her supposed photographing skill. My signature doesn't contain anything about my gear, only links to my photographs BTW.

If you want more then spend more: get a D3x, 1Ds, etc.
What's depressing is that a 5 years old D200 has probably a better AF system than any Pentax DSLR to date. I don't ask for that much, I'm not one who complained all the time about the AF, I even defended Pentax on that very subject. I'm not complaining about the current AF-S performance which I find quite adequate on my K-7. AF-C is where I'd like improvements. I'd also like smaller points (thus more numerous) for more accuracy.
09-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I for one would be extremely pleased to see the K5 with a much improved AF system.
I've been hoping for a "great" AF system ever since I bought my K10D! Things got better with the K20D and much better with the K7.
Now, if I interpret the above "secret" post correctly, I may be pleasantly surprised, who knows?!
Also, I would now expect a new sensor capable of handling high ISO situations, according to what I am reading here.
Time will tell if that is going to happen with the K5, but these rumours regarding "new sensor" and better AF sure are exciting. I only hope they will materialize with the K5.

JP
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
What's depressing is that a 5 years old D200 has probably a better AF system than any Pentax DSLR to date.
I'm not sure about that. Three years ago, I attended my niece's wedding in St. Petersburg, FL. It was held in Sept. at a hotel, on the beach, at 4:00pm. It was a typical, sunny, Florida afternoon, so there was plenty of light.

My brother, as father of the bride, had been told, in no uncertain terms (by the mother of the bride) that he could ABSOLUTELY NOT spend all afternoon with his camera, so he asked me to take some shots for him, with his D200 and Nikkor 18-200mm VR zoom.

Several times, I noticed it hunting badly. It would go from closest focus to infinity and back again, before finally locking focus. This was in bright sunlight, in a high-contrast scene. I was shooting with my Pentax SF1 (yes, film) and a Tamron 18-200mm AF zoom. I remember thinking that his D200 was hunting a lot more than my SF1 was, in identical situations.

I also don't remember that it focused appreciably faster than my K10D does, although I couldn't do a direct comparison, because I didn't have the K10D, yet.

All in all, I am not convinced that all the hype about how Nikon and Canon AF is sooooooo much better than Pentax's is really true. I think it is largely a case of greener grass in another pasture.
09-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yeah if you don't have any good argument attack the person on his/her supposed photographing skill. My signature doesn't contain anything about my gear, only links to my photographs BTW.

What's depressing is that a 5 years old D200 has probably a better AF system than any Pentax DSLR to date. I don't ask for that much, I'm not one who complained all the time about the AF, I even defended Pentax on that very subject. I'm not complaining about the current AF-S performance which I find quite adequate on my K-7. AF-C is where I'd like improvements. I'd also like smaller points (thus more numerous) for more accuracy.
I wasn't attacking your skills actually, I've seen your work and for me to say it's very good wouldn't be doing it justice My point was that so many people cry out for better AF, FF sensors etc on this forum yet at the end of the day many do think that these new features will all of a sudden make them award winner photographers. The best work i've ever seen is done with limitations (namely money) and learning to exploit the best of what you got. Yeahtzee is a prime example of this, the guys work is amazing yet he pulls it off with duct tape and toilet paper rolls.

I can't comment on whether or not the D200 has a better AF system as I've never used one, so i'll take your word for it. I have used a Canon 5D mk2 thought and I personally found the AF system no better than my K-7 (just a bit faster) but it wasn't that impressive imho, however this could've been due to any number of factors.

I've found my K-7 to be very accurate in the focus department, the only issues ive had is hunting in low-light, but then again I've shot with it in nightclubs in terrible lighting and providing you know how to use it right you'll get great shots.

Whilst in Egypt I used AF-C + my 50-135* to shoot a soccer match and I can honestly say I did not get any out of focus shots, the only real limitation there was the buffer and frame rate, which I counteracted shooting with 6mp JPEG.
09-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fill in the blanks

I've censored to protect my source.

Subject: Re: k-5
***** *****(Forum Member)

TOP SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Complete new **!New ******,more ** *****s!!!!!!!!!!!!
But only for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same *o**...should be *********** slot.
says only ********t but could not try it on *** ****.the firmware was not the last,but the motor in the ****** is ****** ************* with ********** lenses.
whait a couple of days...i think next week.......

Take what you want from my post
To me, it seems like we may even have another K7 firmware update before the official announcement of the K5 ?? ...
Anyway, this is a very interesting post!

Cheers.

JP
09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
All in all, I am not convinced that all the hype about how Nikon and Canon AF is sooooooo much better than Pentax's is really true. I think it is largely a case of greener grass in another pasture.
Depend on the conditions, we've had a lot of threads about this already. I don't think that in good light AF-S is not up to par. Every review of the K10D (at the time) mentioned the fast AF. In low-light it was sluggish but it was fixed with the release of the K-m and K-7. AF-C was hopeless on the K10D but quite usable on the K-7.

At the entry level I don't think Pentax is below par, for years they had a 11-points AF with 9 cross-type sensors while the competition was often a 3 or 5 points. But the problem is that as years passed Pentax stayed with the same system while the competition moved on. The newer Nikon D3100 is now also at 11-points.

At the upper level, Canon revamped their AF in the 7D, Nikon has the 51-points since the 2007 D300 and Sony just release a 15-points system. It's not just the number of points, it's the ability to track fast enough at fast FPS. It's not only the AF system and algorithms in the camera it's also about the focusing speed of the lenses.

Personally I don't ask the absolute best AF (or else I would have jumped ship a long time ago) I just ask for noticeable improvements and a system that is not too far away from what the competition offer. It's OK because Pentax offer advantages over the competition that balance their below par AF.

If the K-5 offers upgraded AF and sensor as expected it will be a desirable upgrade for me.
09-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going back to the original post of this thread, regarding the Safox VIII and IX, and Safox IX+ ....
Could anyone dare assuming that perhaps the AF system which will be used in the K5 MIGHT be capable of locking on/tracking a moving subject ?

JP
09-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yet at the end of the day many do think that these new features will all of a sudden make them award winner photographers.
I've been there and it's all too true. But it's irrelevant. We're discussing gear and we're discussing it regardless of its impact on actual photography. For all the people who are not disturbed by the new f/2.4 lens, I would love to see which lens they would buy if offered with the choice of a f/2.4 and a f/1.8 for the same price/performance.

Same with AF. How many people would choose a K-r with SAFOX VIII over a K-r with the Nikon 51-point Multi-CAM 3500DX for the same price? Hopefully the SAFOX IX will show great improvements, it's one of the only things that make me consider switching system from time to time.