Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

For those who don't like the specs of this new camera, please just be quiet and wait until real tests/reviews/reports come out.
And even people who do :-)

09-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And even people who do :-)
Shhh... we're not allowed to talk about it until we see test images. Let's pretend the K-r doesn't exist.
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #48
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
we're unhappy...like every other human being in the world.
A business man was asked, "How much money is enough for you?"
He replied, "Just a little more."

Human nature...
09-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A business man was asked, "How much money is enough for you?"
He replied, "Just a little more."

Human nature...
Arg!
Damned you Michael Jackson!

09-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Plastic, bah, they're making planes out of it, why can't it hold up a tiny little prime.
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
on a lens this size and weight, I wouldn't worry one bit about the mount not being metal. In fact some of these composite plastics are much stronger than the metal mounts.

Your just as likely to break the glass as the much as the mount if you drop it on concrete. Lets put this one to rest now and forever.
Both excellent advice. The metal-mount primes have been sitting right there, available for years. As for the aperture ring—it's a lens made for the entry market, and that market doesn't know/care about aperture control on the lens. Again, there are already lenses in the Pentax lineup that have that feature.

To give an indication of the market that this camera is intended for, I'd like to refer to a journal entry I made a few weeks ago. In the Japanese middle-class, family market, Pentax is arguably (and this is only anecdotal, of course) more appealing than Nikon. Japan is in a strong deflationary period. Value is king.
09-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erik Quote
everyone: "the k-x is great! The only things i wish it had are an af assist lamp and visible af points in the viewfinder! Oh, and also i hate having to use aa batteries."
pentax: "hey guys, here's the successor to the k-x. It has an af assist lamp and visible af points in the viewfinder. Also, you don't have to use aa batteries any more, but you can if you want to."
everyone: "is this all i expect more from an upgrade graaargh nerd rage that's it i'm buying canon"
+1

It seems some people will bitch if you hang them with a new rope.
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have. Two awesome announcements today. A new lens and a new camera and all the comments are about how much of a failure this camera and lens are when no one has even tried them yet. For one it shows that Hoya is listening to its customers and giving them what they want. ISO 25000 come on that is awesome. New improved AF, great too, more frames per second, illuminated focus points, and a solved battery problem. WOW...when will we find something else to complain about.

The new lens well we wanted a inexpensive lens...now we have it and man its complain city.

I say CONGRATS PENTAX ON THE NEW CAMERAS AND NEW LENSES...I'll be getting one of them i'm sure.
You complaining about people complaining is just as stupid. And for the record, I and many other members are criticizing the concept of a cheap DA L 35mm F/2.4, not the lens itself (how could we, there are no test images or reviews!). I haven't heard anything about the K-r other than it not being a big step up from the Kx which is entirely true.... but its not supposed to be the camera kx users upgrade to anyways, As far as I can tell.

09-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
You complaining about people complaining is just as stupid. And for the record, I and many other members are criticizing the concept of a cheap DA L 35mm F/2.4, not the lens itself (how could we, there are no test images or reviews!). I haven't heard anything about the K-r other than it not being a big step up from the Kx which is entirely true.... but its not supposed to be the camera kx users upgrade to anyways, As far as I can tell.
And complaining about the complaints of other people complaining is bordering on the absurd.

FTR. stupidity factor rises as infinite regress takes hold
09-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And complaining about the complaints of other people complaining is bordering on the absurd.
And so it goes....
09-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #55
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK then, to change tack, let's look at the brilliance of all the current DA lenses around and see how they stack up against the competition - in price and IQ. Even Pentax's kit lens is clearly ahead of the rest. I think we can therefore cut a little slack on the 35/2.4 when it finally arrives and quietens the nay-sayers with its results...
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I would agree if it had been introduced at the same price as the K-x but it's 200$ more expensive. Check dpreview.com announcement, the MSRP of the K-x was 650$ with kit lens. 850$ for the K-r, not quite the same thing. The K-r is a middle level camera not entry level unless they drop the price quickly.
Sucks beeing american, its introduced at the same price as the K-X here in Europe
09-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have. Two awesome announcements today. A new lens and a new camera and all the comments are about how much of a failure this camera and lens are when no one has even tried them yet. For one it shows that Hoya is listening to its customers and giving them what they want. ISO 25000 come on that is awesome. New improved AF, great too, more frames per second, illuminated focus points, and a solved battery problem. WOW...when will we find something else to complain about.

The new lens well we wanted a inexpensive lens...now we have it and man its complain city.

I say CONGRATS PENTAX ON THE NEW CAMERAS AND NEW LENSES...I'll be getting one of them i'm sure.
Well said!
09-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
You complaining about people complaining is just as stupid. And for the record,

Not really. One group is complaining about products which have never been on the market! Therefore, all their grievances are purely products of their mind. They've never used the product...never seen the product...don't know anybody else who has seen or used the product...never even read an article about the product. The other group is complaining about something that is happening in the here and now...not in some imagined problem down the road. One is reality based...the other is fantasy based. HUGE difference!
09-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Not really. One group is complaining about products which have never been on the market! Therefore, all their grievances are purely products of their mind. They've never used the product...never seen the product...don't know anybody else who has seen or used the product...never even read an article about the product. The other group is complaining about something that is happening in the here and now...not in some imagined problem down the road. One is reality based...the other is fantasy based. HUGE difference!
There is enough information on the DA 35/2.4 including its optical design to compare it to the FA 35/2. Critique the similarities, improvements, dissimilarities, pros and cons of each is part of an evaluation and critique. What is fantasy is expecting people to buy something solely like a religion.
09-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think most people complain not because it is justified but because they do not know outside their own little world.

as a canadian, I find we, as a group, bitch continually about everything, but having lived and worked abroad, I KNOW that we have nothing to bitch about, because as a group, we are better off than almost every other country in the world.

The same is true with cameras. everyone will look to find what is the best for their particular little niche, and they are welcome to move to that system, what ever it is.

SO lets all stop bitching, and be thankful that we were not forced to go out and buy new lenses like canon owners have been not once but twice, and that we don't need to buy a pro camera like nikon users have to to get backwards compatability, and that we get image stabilization with all our lenses, as opposed to having to purchase new ones with stabilization...........