Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 06:48 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So much Negativity from Pentaxians

It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have. Two awesome announcements today. A new lens and a new camera and all the comments are about how much of a failure this camera and lens are when no one has even tried them yet. For one it shows that Hoya is listening to its customers and giving them what they want. ISO 25000 come on that is awesome. New improved AF, great too, more frames per second, illuminated focus points, and a solved battery problem. WOW...when will we find something else to complain about.

The new lens well we wanted a inexpensive lens...now we have it and man its complain city.

I say CONGRATS PENTAX ON THE NEW CAMERAS AND NEW LENSES...I'll be getting one of them i'm sure.

09-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh? I'm not complaining.
09-09-2010, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have. Two awesome announcements today. A new lens and a new camera and all the comments are about how much of a failure this camera and lens are when no one has even tried them yet. For one it shows that Hoya is listening to its customers and giving them what they want. ISO 25000 come on that is awesome. New improved AF, great too, more frames per second, illuminated focus points, and a solved battery problem. WOW...when will we find something else to complain about.

The new lens well we wanted a inexpensive lens...now we have it and man its complain city.

I say CONGRATS PENTAX ON THE NEW CAMERAS AND NEW LENSES...I'll be getting one of them i'm sure.
I agree. Pentaxians seem to be so used to getting down on their own brand that they don't know how to be happy about something. Frankly if they are so unhappy about Pentax why don't they switch the brands they keep comparing Pentax to.

Also, this camera isn't in the wild yet so we don't know how it performs. Frankly, it looks like the most impressive camera yet. Can't wait to see the K-5!
09-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 for you.

09-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 from me as well.
09-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Of course Pentax's cameras and lenses are gravely disappointing. But the cameras and lenses from the other brands ARE EVEN WORSE.

Seriously, I agree. The K-r looks dandy; I can't wait to see what the K5 is like. I do however worry that Pentax missed an opportunity here by not providing full HD video in the K-r. Purists may not want full HD video, but new DSLR buyers aren't purists....

In fact, I'm starting to wonder if there is indeed a mirrorless body with full HD waiting in the wings.
09-09-2010, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
. . .

Its called "critique." The reason for that is Pentax canceled the FA 35/2 that was available in the U.S for $299 when it was shipped. The release this DA L 35/2.4 that apparently has the same optics plus SP on the front element and optional colors. However, it gives up the metal mount, aperture ring, and a bit slower. The biggest concern is durability because optical performance will probably be very similar.

09-09-2010, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Everyone: "The K-x is great! The only things I wish it had are an AF assist lamp and visible AF points in the viewfinder! Oh, and also I hate having to use AA batteries."
Pentax: "Hey guys, here's the successor to the K-x. It has an AF assist lamp and visible AF points in the viewfinder. Also, you don't have to use AA batteries any more, but you can if you want to."
Everyone: "IS THIS ALL I EXPECT MORE FROM AN UPGRADE GRAAARGH NERD RAGE THAT'S IT I'M BUYING CANON"
09-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Inactive Account

it's called the Rice High syndrome

new SAFOX IX
AF assist lamp
AF point indicator
3" 920k pixel LCD
interval shooting
lens adjust (albeit global)
Lithium AND AA capability (great!)

dang. i'd say that's a lot of plusses!

as for me, Kudos to pentax for releasing the Kr. now if they can get that MSRP down a bit

BTW, anyone heard how loud/soft the shutter is?
does it allow DFS to be off?
does it AF in video?
no wired remote?

but of course, some folks are never satisfied.

Last edited by opiedog; 09-09-2010 at 07:11 AM.
09-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that a shame? ... all that negative feedback.

I also agree with the OP.
I have read through a couple of new threads regarding the official launch of the Kr and found it very disappointing to see so many negative comments.

This is indeed a very impressive "entry-level" camera. Gosh! It even beats my K7 in a few features! What are those people complaining about?

It hasn't been field-tested yet but my impression is that it will perform at least as good as the Kx and perhaps even better (in some departments) than the K7.

Something I did notice about negative posts: they usually originate from the same people.

For those who don't like the specs of this new camera, please just be quiet and wait until real tests/reviews/reports come out.

JP
09-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

on a lens this size and weight, I wouldn't worry one bit about the mount not being metal. In fact some of these composite plastics are much stronger than the metal mounts. If you try to take care of your gear, it will last. I had a plastic (or whatever it's made from) mount lens for several years. No issues with mounting, durablity or getting sloppy in the frame.

Your just as likely to break the glass as the much as the mount if you drop it on concrete. Lets put this one to rest now and forever.

The 35mm shoulda been f1.7 though just to be different than the 1.8's out there. But if it turns out to be sharp as a tack at f2.4 it really won't matter. With the increases high ISO of the new camera (assuming the K-5 will be as good or better) 0.8th of a stop is nothing when you can shoot a clean image at 6400.

90% + of anyones shots will not be wide open anyway. Focus speed is far more important as is IQ.
09-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Everyone: "The K-x is great! The only things I wish it had are an AF assist lamp and visible AF points in the viewfinder! Oh, and also I hate having to use AA batteries."
Pentax: "Hey guys, here's the successor to the K-x. It has an AF assist lamp and visible AF points in the viewfinder. Also, you don't have to use AA batteries any more, but you can if you want to."

Everyone: "IS THIS ALL I EXPECT MORE FROM AN UPGRADE GRAAARGH NERD RAGE THAT'S IT I'M BUYING CANON"
+1

AMEN BROTHER!
09-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Isn't that a shame? ... all that negative feedback.

For those who don't like the specs of this new camera, please just be quiet and wait until real tests/reviews/reports come out.

JP
or better still, be quiet and jump ship. you won't be missed
09-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #14

I have to admit that I contemplated going to the Dark Side (Canikon) for a DSLR system as Pentax offerings looked mighty slim for a while. However, since introduction of K-7 and new DA lenses it seems that Pentax is mounting a full-scale comeback with products that are as equally good and in many cases better than competitors. K-r and upcoming K-5 are looking fantastic and I can't wait to get my eager paws on them. And it's icing on the cake for me that I can use my well-loved FA lenses on a new digital body without having to invest in an all new set of glass.

I just don't see a reason to be gloomy, get out there and take photographs instead of fretting over data sheets and MTF charts.
09-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is indeed a very impressive "entry-level" camera.
I would agree if it had been introduced at the same price as the K-x but it's 200$ more expensive. Check dpreview.com announcement, the MSRP of the K-x was 650$ with kit lens. 850$ for the K-r, not quite the same thing. The K-r is a middle level camera not entry level unless they drop the price quickly.