Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed. I think the K-5 will calm us all down as the K-r does not seem to be for most of us.

09-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed... while I dont have a Kx I am very aware of its shortcomings due to complaints of many forum members over the past year/months... Pentax fix these and quite a bit more and all we hear is deafening criticism... cant win
09-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I would agree if it had been introduced at the same price as the K-x but it's 200$ more expensive. Check dpreview.com announcement, the MSRP of the K-x was 650$ with kit lens. 850$ for the K-r, not quite the same thing. The K-r is a middle level camera not entry level unless they drop the price quickly.
People call the T2i an entry level and it was $900+ when introduced. Anything under <$900 qualifies for an entry level DSLR. The K-r has very impressive specs and is priced as such.
09-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
Banned

You won't hear any negativity from me. The K-R looks like a logical upgrade for the K-x and those who weren't happy with the little items like batteries and focus points. But I'll be keeping and loving my K-x.

And I'm excited about the much maligned lens. I'm really shocked at the amount of bashing going on about this one. I'm looking forward to a <$200 retail pentax prime lens thats wide enough to use as a normal. Speed isn't everything, especially with todays ISO performance. Yes I won't have as much play with DOF but if I can finally get a decent normal AF prime that I can afford I'll be happy. Plastic, bah, they're making planes out of it, why can't it hold up a tiny little prime.

09-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
or better still, be quiet and jump ship. you won't be missed
That would be an understatement!
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If you think this is bad, you should have seen how some Canon users reacted to the Canon 60D. Yeouch!
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I am looking forward to reviews, especially videos that demonstrate the K-r shutter sound and live view focusing. I love my KX and I don't think the Kr is a huge upgrade but it does sound tempting. So far the major Kr advantages for me would be the lcd size and resolution, quieter shutter (if it is quieter), faster live view and less noisy sr in video mode.

I'm also excited about the new 35 mm lens, can't wait for samples!

09-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
You won't hear any negativity from me. The K-R looks like a logical upgrade for the K-x and those who weren't happy with the little items like batteries and focus points. But I'll be keeping and loving my K-x.

And I'm excited about the much maligned lens. I'm really shocked at the amount of bashing going on about this one. I'm looking forward to a <$200 retail pentax prime lens thats wide enough to use as a normal. Speed isn't everything, especially with todays ISO performance. Yes I won't have as much play with DOF but if I can finally get a decent normal AF prime that I can afford I'll be happy. Plastic, bah, they're making planes out of it, why can't it hold up a tiny little prime.
I agree with you on the K-r. However, I'm not going pretend the DA L is going to be as good over all as the FA 35/2. It will probably be similar optically and should perform well in that regard. The durability is something that only time will tell. As far as plastic goes, the SDM motors were plastic.
09-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
on a lens this size and weight, I wouldn't worry one bit about the mount not being metal. In fact some of these composite plastics are much stronger than the metal mounts. If you try to take care of your gear, it will last. I had a plastic (or whatever it's made from) mount lens for several years. No issues with mounting, durablity or getting sloppy in the frame.

Your just as likely to break the glass as the much as the mount if you drop it on concrete. Lets put this one to rest now and forever.

The 35mm shoulda been f1.7 though just to be different than the 1.8's out there. But if it turns out to be sharp as a tack at f2.4 it really won't matter. With the increases high ISO of the new camera (assuming the K-5 will be as good or better) 0.8th of a stop is nothing when you can shoot a clean image at 6400.

90% + of anyones shots will not be wide open anyway. Focus speed is far more important as is IQ.

Alriighty then, lets petition Pentax to get us matching Plastic mounts on our WR bodies. Maybe they didn't have enough plastic in the SDM gears. sarcasm
09-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #25
Inactive Account

apparently, negativity also comes from caniksony bigots
like this one:
Bright-Red Pentax K-r Fails to Stir Passion | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

i can't seem to put a comment in this site. maybe some one here can do so.
09-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

"Again, useful, but it’s no in-camera HDR, or iTTL-Flash control-system.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/bright-red-pentax-k-r-fails-to-stir-passion/#comments#ixzz0z2jT6dIT"

Did they even read the specs at all? And realize that pentax has P-TTL?
09-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This phenomena is not limited to Pentax. Even when Ferarri announces a new car there are those that voice their preference for the older models.

That said, there are enough voices offering enthusiasm or suggesting that perhaps people should wait until the new stuff is out in the wild before passing judgement.
09-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding MSRP, you guys have to remember that it's less than 84 yen to the dollar now. When the K-x came out, what was it? Like 105 yen to the dollar?
09-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
"Again, useful, but it’s no in-camera HDR, or iTTL-Flash control-system.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/bright-red-pentax-k-r-fails-to-stir-passion/#comments#ixzz0z2jT6dIT"

Did they even read the specs at all? And realize that pentax has P-TTL?
Wired is a gadget blog. They are probably only mildly interested if the camera takes pictures, they want it to have some new whizbang feature.
09-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree with you on the K-r. However, I'm not going pretend the DA L is going to be as good over all as the FA 35/2. It will probably be similar optically and should perform well in that regard. The durability is something that only time will tell. As far as plastic goes, the SDM motors were plastic.
It's not priced (in current prices) like the 35/2. Comparing plastic on a tiny motor with moving parts to a mount is a pointless exercise. They are being used in completely different situations. I don't recall any problems with the DAL-55-300 mounts so far. And it will put a LOT more stress on the mount than the 35 because of it's weight and lenght. And bottom line, it's about the IQ, I'll wait for that result, if it looks good, I'm jumping in line. I've got a friend with one of the 1.8 canons and he's not impressed with it. He's commented many times on how my 16-45 zoom seems much sharper than his prime, even at 5.6 or so. That's why any comparison without actually seeing the lens is pointless.