Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have. Two awesome announcements today. A new lens and a new camera and all the comments are about how much of a failure this camera and lens are when no one has even tried them yet. For one it shows that Hoya is listening to its customers and giving them what they want. ISO 25000 come on that is awesome. New improved AF, great too, more frames per second, illuminated focus points, and a solved battery problem. WOW...when will we find something else to complain about.
If the AF is indeed improved, this camera has all it takes to be as successful as the K-x. Quite frankly, I'm so tired of my K-7 hunting for 2 seconds to get in focus — and that's with the DA*50-135mm in broad daylight and on a still subject, in AF-S!

I must say the ISO 25600 is a very impressive achievement for an APS-C sensor. If it's even close to the K-x in terms of IQ, Pentax will probably remain the leader in low light photography in the APS-C DSLR cameras segment of the market.

QuoteQuote:
The new lens well we wanted a inexpensive lens...now we have it and man its complain city.
The problem is that Nikon has a 35mm F/1.8 lens for roughly the same price. In fact, the Nikkor lens is cheaper at 195$ vs. 220$ for the Pentax lens. Sure, the Pentax lens is still rather inexpensive, but it could have a faster aperture for the same price. If Nikon can do it, why not Pentax? I would expect Pentax to do a lens that is roughly (F/2) as fast as the Nikon for that price...

If the lens was F/2, I would be totally satisfied. But unfortunately, the difference from F/2.4 to F/1.8 is about a full stop, which makes this lens less useful in low light or for shallow DOF photography.

Maybe Pentax didn't want to harm the sales of the FA 31 Limited by releasing a fast lens with a similar aperture. Maybe they wanted to keep the lens compact and light so they had to sacrifice the faster aperture for that... But whatever the reason of that F/2.4 aperture, I must say it's a bit disappointing.

QuoteQuote:
I say CONGRATS PENTAX ON THE NEW CAMERAS AND NEW LENSES
Agreed. Congrats Pentax!

09-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #92

It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have...
Forgive the Freudian perspective, but my personal theory is that some Pentaxians are transferring their dissatisfaction with their sexlives to their hobby, and that is why they whine incessantly. If Hoya-Pentax would only design a camera with tits I'm sure most of the complaining would go away.

Viva the new Pentax cameras!

Oh ignore....

Last edited by jeff knight; 09-10-2010 at 04:59 PM.
09-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
If the lens was F/2, I would be totally satisfied. But unfortunately, the difference from F/2.4 to F/1.8 is about a full stop, which makes this lens less useful in low light or for shallow DOF photography.
The maximum aperture of DA 35mm limited is only f2.8; I don't judge the quality of lens by maximum aperture alone, it is the optical quality that matters the most.
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
one thing that i can agree...the price is pretty reasonable and thats just the launch price.

i really think the 35mm f/2.4 is the start of a no frills version of the DA* line.

Hopefully something around the line of 24mm/28mm F/1.8 would pop out or at the very least, the humble 50mm f/1.8 for budget yet fast mid telephoto.

09-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Quite frankly, I'm so tired of my K-7 hunting for 2 seconds to get in focus — and that's with the DA*50-135mm in broad daylight and on a still subject, in AF-S!
I'm not saying the K-7's AF doesn't need improving, but the DA*50-135 (and DA*16-50) are the slowest focusing lenses I've ever handled. And unfortunately, I believe this stems from their SDM implementation, and can't be improved by any camera.

FWIW, the screw-driven AF of the K-7 is very noticeably faster than the K10D. I eagerly await reports of the K-5's AF performance (and high-ISO, and DR...), but I'm starting to feel I'll have a new toy in about a year's time.
09-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #96
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Likewise, I'm looking forward to the K-5 improved AF and overall specs, but I'm also a strong believer in the screwdrive AF system. Why bother with SDM if it's slower than what was already out there?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The maximum aperture of DA 35mm limited is only f2.8; I don't judge the quality of lens by maximum aperture alone, it is the optical quality that matters the most.
I agree. I rarely shoot faster than f/2.8 if at all anymore. If this new lens is sharp wide open, it will be exactly what a lot of people have been asking for, a fast, inexpensive prime.

09-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I still think Pentax selected a pre-stopped down approach for amateurs who may not know the most about photography. In the shop, a potential customer might shoot with a 1.8 and an optimized 2.4 wide open. If the 2.4 looks better, I would bet that the 2.4 would sell. Even if *we* know that the reason it looks better is because they dummy-proofed the lens.

I think the approach here is to maximize sales, which is takes precedence over flexibility in the field. People who really want that flexibility would have no problem paying more for one of their nicer lenses.

The lens is marketed to beginners, after all. The lens comes in a myriad of colours! It almost reminds me of the game-boy marketing stunt Nintendo has been pulling all these years (PS, it works). I've also heard more than one criticism of this lens from people using the FA 31 1.8 (or other limiteds)... many times the price and a PREMIUM quality piece of hardware! No beginner would buy the FA 31 1.8... or even be able to really appreciate what a lens like that brings to the table. A well experience photographer might be able to see the 35 2.4 for what it is and say "hey, that's a good deal", but those sales are not going to be as strong as the newbie who is buying his/her first prime.

Just my thoughts, trying to think like a marketer.
+1. Well done paperbag846 for a very insightful and intelligent input. I don't think Hoya/Pentax decision makers are stupid and your analysis makes sense on why the DA 35mm f/2.4 was released instead of any other lens.
09-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #99
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Forgive the Freudian perspective, but my personal theory is that some Pentaxians are transferring their dissatisfaction with their sexlives to their hobby, and that is why they whine incessantly. If Hoya-Pentax would only design a camera with tits I'm sure most of the complaining would go away.

Viva the new Pentax cameras!

Oh ignore....
funny
09-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #100
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I won't give you an infraction for foul language this time; but for future reference that is "he who's name shall not be mentioned".
is RH voldermort..
09-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #101
1,000,000th Poster!

Since I was not around for previous new product releases, it's difficult for me to compare. Was there so much disappointment when the K-m came out, being less impressive than the K200D, K10d and K20d? Was there also any disappointment when the K-x came out, being only readjustments from the K-m?

I can imagine the K-r being the same for the K-x as the K-x was for the K-m.

Will it push me to upgrade? No, since I still need to master my K-x properly.
Alright, if I am to be truthful budget is my main issue, otherwise I'd go for it.

As for the 35mm f2.4, I think it's a good thing. I know I will probably get one eventually. I still suck at manual focusing. I have the FA 50 f1.4 but it's a difficult indoor length. 35mm might suit my needs better.

I am eagerly awaiting results from this lens. It might be the poor man's 31 Ltd.

Since I made a comparison for the K-r, here's what I feel about the 35mm:
Take the 16-45mmm f4. If it came out now, I imagine the disappointment, and the incomprehension at having a new zoom with only f4, when the standard is f2.8
We already have the 16-50 f2.8!!! Why another in a similar focal length with less aperture?

Yet no one will ever think less of the 16-45mm because it's f4. It's a fine lens. And it has earned it's right to exist and be appreciated. Let the 35mm f2.4 do the same.
09-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It doesn't seem Pentaxians are ever happy. All they do is complain about what they don't have instead of seeing what they do have. Two awesome announcements today. A new lens and a new camera and all the comments are about how much of a failure this camera and lens are when no one has even tried them yet. For one it shows that Hoya is listening to its customers and giving them what they want. ISO 25000 come on that is awesome. New improved AF, great too, more frames per second, illuminated focus points, and a solved battery problem. WOW...when will we find something else to complain about.

The new lens well we wanted a inexpensive lens...now we have it and man its complain city.

I say CONGRATS PENTAX ON THE NEW CAMERAS AND NEW LENSES...I'll be getting one of them i'm sure.
Hmmm; I doubt I agree. I just checked the rating in DPR between the Pentax with Canikony for some random slrs and it seems Pentaxians are the happiest users:

I guess Pentaxians have the least trust in the Company though. It seems they (we!) always believe Pentax do not know what they're doing!

09-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #103
Pentaxian

You think it's negative here - check out the film thread!

My next body will have a tilting, if not rotating, LCD. Keep the video.
09-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Wow... how richly bizarre...
Why are people so unhappy?
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #105
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote