Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #1

Pentax K20D settings

I'm new to Pentax after staying with the big N and the big C cameras; I recently purchased a K20D, gently used and find it quite fascinating; it's the most sophisticated camera I've owned; in two weeks I'm doing a wedding so therefore I am hauling the old Nikon D40 along with me for backup to use for some other pictures; my question may seem strange, but everytime I take pictures outdoors the colors seem to be filled with lots of blues and I don't feel like I'm getting as natural looking color with everything else. Am I setting something wrong????? Seem the more I try to change settings the worse things get........... HELP.....and would anyone suggest a K10D as a backup or a K-X because I plan to give my Nikon to a relative that is interested in photography. I'm sticking with Pentax now.
Also, I'm using the 360 flash and the standard lenses that I did buy new; these are the 18-55 and the 55-200 Pentax brands.

09-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You've probably set manual white balance to something inappropriate. Try going into the white balance settings and setting the camera to AWB (or the proper manual white balance for the kind of light you are in)
09-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll second Erik on re-setting WB. But it's tricky; I leave my K20D on AWB constantly and still get too much blue, not just in shade or cloudy conditions, but even with clear skies. My standard practice with JPEG's produced by P&S's and the K20D is to PP everything with PaintShopPro9 (my favored editor) and its AutoColorBalance tool, with the RemoveColorCast option set. But now I shoot only RAW's with the K20D, and I fix everything in PentaxPhotoLab3 by tweaking the WB to Shade or Cloudy (usually), or otherwise diddling with color temperature. Or just shoot B&W.
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Try resetting the camera to factory default(under the tools menu I believe). Once you've done that try and see if things improve.

Another tip would be to get some WB caps for your lenses.
There cheap(2-3 dollars off eBay) and they are very convenient and easy to use.

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-12-2010 at 06:26 PM.
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree. Since it was used, I would reset to factory settings and then customize everything to your liking. You have a great deal of options from which to choose.
Pentax color in general, however, is richer than Nikon or Canon, which is one of the reasons I switched to them.
09-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd add that shooting RAW will allow you to correct this easily in post.
04-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'll second Erik on re-setting WB. But it's tricky; I leave my K20D on AWB constantly and still get too much blue, not just in shade or cloudy conditions, but even with clear skies. My standard practice with JPEG's produced by P&S's and the K20D is to PP everything with PaintShopPro9 (my favored editor) and its AutoColorBalance tool, with the RemoveColorCast option set. But now I shoot only RAW's with the K20D, and I fix everything in PentaxPhotoLab3 by tweaking the WB to Shade or Cloudy (usually), or otherwise diddling with color temperature. Or just shoot B&W.
Can the owner of the K20 PLEASE walk me through settings to turn off B&W mode?
05-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #8

Asalerno, I don't have the camera with me but pretty sure from shooting mode you need to press fn button then press OK to get to the image adjustment mode. Use the controller to select your preferred processing, then OK to set and menu to exit. If you shoot raw only the image will save as colour raw but will display as BW if this is what you have set for preferred processing.

05-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Asalerno, I don't have the camera with me but pretty sure from shooting mode you need to press fn button then press OK to get to the image adjustment mode. Use the controller to select your preferred processing, then OK to set and menu to exit. If you shoot raw only the image will save as colour raw but will display as BW if this is what you have set for preferred processing.
thank you so much grimmus your advice fixed everything.