Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is a good price for the K-r with 18-55mm?
Right where it's at $850 918.00%
$750-$849 1020.00%
$650-$749 1836.00%
$550-$649 1326.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What SHOULD the K-r be priced

With the people complaining about the price...I was wondering. What WOULD you pay for the camera?

09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a difficult question. I had hoped to see a camera that was more in line with the K-x in pricing. It's kind of wired into my brain that new technology should be cheaper than what the previous generation cost at the time of release, so the $800 MSRP kind of threw me for a loop there.

I'd personally pull the trigger at $500-600 based on the info we have available right now. The high ISO looks great but more test shots should be in order. If it is indeed 2 full stops better than my K-x, then $650-700 wouldn't be unreasonable to me. I can see it hit that price in a few months.

Now, my other comments about being disappointed with the price is in regard to the Canon T2i. I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of someone who is buying their first DSLR. The K-x was significantly cheaper than the T1i (40%) and I'm sure plenty of people flocked to it because of it. It'd be nice to see the K-r do the same. With the same price as the T2i, it's just not as enticing as the K-x was vs the T1i.
09-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

it's only right that me and hangu are the first to comment on this

I'd say under or around $700, it's a good camera, but not $850 good, if it dropped to about 550-600 after a few months I think that would be perfect, at this point it costs more than the D3100, and it's lacking the consumer wide-eyed X-factor like full HD video with full time AF, 6fps is impressive, but sony's new SLT camera's do that already and you can get the top of the line SLT 10fps camera for the same price as the Kr

Also everyone keeps saying MSRP doesn't matter, but it does, that's it's price, there are lots of cameras selling for their MSRP right now, and even if it does fall in price, other cameras will fall in price proportionally as well, so comparing this camera's MSRP to other camera's shouldn't be as ridiculous as everyone is telling me it is

Last edited by future_retro; 09-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.
09-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, it depends how great the new AF system is.

09-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Given the specs and price of the Nikon D3100 . . .
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
sony's new SLT camera's do that already and you can get the top of the line SLT 10fps camera for the same price as the Kr
Technically, the top of the line SLT camera is a 6fps model. The 10fps mode comes with a MAJOR proviso attached -- not only are you limited in terms of shutter speeds (like any burst mode), but the aperture also has to be wide open.

The SLT cameras also aren't SLRs -- they don't have optical viewfinders, and by necessity they have higher noise levels because 1/3rd of the light entering the lens never reaches the image sensor.

That's not to say they're not good cameras, mind you. Just that the paper specs don't tell anywhere near the whole story.
09-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good points, I was aware of that but it slipped my mind at the time I wrote that comment

I think there's two things that come into play here

1. average consumers who want a nice camera that just look at what's on paper
2. more experienced people who know what they want and how much they are willing to pay for it

the Kr wont sell to the first group, on paper it's very disappointing, especially with this new HD video craze, I think the SLT A55 has the best specs out there, and will wow a lot of people with it's spec sheet

the Kr will probably be bought, but very reluctantly because of the price, by lots of people in the second category who want to use Pentax glass and want good pictures in low light, but I doubt people in group one will take those two factors into consideration, not when this is pretty feature stripped compared to what they see with the T2i, SLT-A55, and d3100 on paper
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Right where it's at of course. Pentax isn't going to make any money off of it for any cheaper.

09-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter

remember it comes with a LithiumIon battery AND charger and those cost $$ too.

still, at that price, it'll be competing with the D3100 and T2i and it's not going to be easy.

to me, what the D3100 has on the kr is AF in video, but that's something that is still unknown for the Kr. who knows it might have it when the FW hits version 1.0

as for HDMI output and articulating LCD, i don't care for it.

i'm hoping for christmas deals
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

If this new introduction means a new K-x body from B&H for $350, I'm on that like white on rice.
09-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

This is such a funny question. When's the last time anyone besides fanboys and early adopters paid list price?

I bet that within a year's time the camera will have sold at all of the price ranges listed.
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

IT got a great price here in sweden, same price as the Pentax K-X had when released. I guess its you in america that pulled the short straw this time

Chuckles out loud
09-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
it got a great price here in sweden, same price as the pentax k-x had when released. I guess its you in america that pulled the short straw this time

chuckles out loud
+1

lol