Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I have a Pentax k-x but am thinking of getting a k-7 but worried about ISO performanc

I love my k-x but want a more rugged overall better camera so i want to get the k-7 but I am worried about the ISO performance in comparison to my k-x because i would be using the camera for weddings. I saw tests online that showed even the K20D performed better than the k-7 in ISO performance. Is it worth paying more to get the k-7? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

09-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I had a Kx and then upgraded to the K7 and used them side by side for a little while, the Kx produced better pictures, especially in low light, I however didn't pixel peep or extensively edit in post, just the pictures from the Kx were cleaner and a lot less noisy

I got pretty familiar with both and I wouldn't hesitate to put the Kx at ISO 3200, but I would cringe every time I had to push the K7 over 1600
09-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wait till after the k5 is introduced and then the k7 will drop even more in price. The k-r may be a camera to look for as well.
09-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
Future retro - see that's what sucks is if it weren't for the ISO performance I'd be sold. My kx is too small and doesn't have all the features I'm looking for. I want to attach a battery grip too but it's not supported

lurch - the size of the kr is still the same as the k-x and you can't attach a battery grip, im looking for a prosumer but the k-7's ISO ruins it for me. The k-5 will be way too much. Pentax needs more cameras.

09-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Future retro - see that's what sucks is if it weren't for the ISO performance I'd be sold. My kx is too small and doesn't have all the features I'm looking for. I want to attach a battery grip too but it's not supported

lurch - the size of the kr is still the same as the k-x and you can't attach a battery grip, im looking for a prosumer but the k-7's ISO ruins it for me. The k-5 will be way too much. Pentax needs more cameras.
I'm using the K-7 all the time, with various ISO settings, and seen the K-x used in low lighting, but to be honest, when using both without noise reduction (in RAW), there is no huge difference between the two. Also, there are very good noise removing solutions in post. Probably one of the best is Neat Image, but also Topaz Labs and other third parties have great solutions, and I've really liked Lightroom's built-in noise removal (when I was using it, in version 1, I think. )
09-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's so weird, you sound exactly like me when I wanted the K7

have you ever used a gripped camera before? I wanted a grip sooooooooo bad but when I finally got the K7 and the grip I couldn't believe how much hype there was about battery grips, it wasn't very comfortable, way heavier and just a little pointless, especially when one of the best parts about the K7 is how compact it is, and how long the batteries last, and how cheap and readily available knock off K7 batteries are

What other features are you wishing for?
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We don't know what the K5 will cost.

The rumored KR MRSP was higher than it's announced MRSP, and the street price will be lower than that.

So I would bet the new K5 will actually sell between 1200 and 1400, which would be in line with other offerings in the prosumer zone.
09-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
I use lightroom noise reduction but it makes the pictures softer which i would be worried about. The battery grip seems like it would give you more control but i may wind up hating it but the option is nice. I want the features of the k7, the build, and size but wish the ISO performance was better. I want to make sure I can use it for weddings at ISO 3200 If needed while still having usuable shots if they are enlarged. I can also get a k7 for 680 which helps.

09-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love the K-7's noise. To me it's much more film-like than normal digital noise, so I don't mind it at all. To each their own.
09-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not stick it out with the K-x for a while? - it's still a feature-packed camera that can do the job reasonably well. Wait for the K-5 if you're really keen on an advanced model. In the meantime, look at your lens lineup to see if any improvements can be made there.
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Since the K-x takes double-As, why the heck would anyone want or need a battery grip for it? To make it bigger, heavier, and somehow "easier to handle?"

Jesus, if I was the CEO of Pentax, I would take a gun to my head. You develop a camera with incredible power flexibility, using commonly available AA's in a multitude of forms and available at any Walgreens, and people still complain.

If someone feels a grip does indeed make it easier to handle, just stick any battery grip on there at all for that ballast you seek.
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #12

Just ask yourself when you look at the picture you take. Will you try to check how noisy is it or is it a nice picture? Most of the time people around me just look at the picture to see how nice it is not just to compare the noise, not many people will notice the difference.

I have the K-x for a while and it's really a good camera for the price I paid $600 for dual kit len 50-200. However, I travel a lot and rainning almost everyday where I go so that the K-7 suit me better for outdoor. Other reason is that I got my K-7 kit for a low price $850 (not grey market) , can't stop myselt when I see this price
09-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use lightroom noise reduction but it makes the pictures softer which i would be worried about. The battery grip seems like it would give you more control but i may wind up hating it but the option is nice. I want the features of the k7, the build, and size but wish the ISO performance was better. I want to make sure I can use it for weddings at ISO 3200 If needed while still having usuable shots if they are enlarged. I can also get a k7 for 680 which helps.
With your iso requirments, you probably should just put up with the K-x's downfalls. K-7 will not suffice.
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I love my k-x but want a more rugged overall better camera so i want to get the k-7 but I am worried about the ISO performance in comparison to my k-x because i would be using the camera for weddings. I saw tests online that showed even the K20D performed better than the k-7 in ISO performance. Is it worth paying more to get the k-7? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
You have to test that for yourself and see if the difference is really significant. For everything else the K-7 is the much better camera, believe me. Mine is on repair and having to use the K-x instead reminds me how much better the K-7 is. Better viewfinder, LCD, build quality (WR), dual dials, controls, top LCD, smoother shutter to name a few of the top differences.
09-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Since the K-x takes double-As, why the heck would anyone want or need a battery grip for it? To make it bigger, heavier, and somehow "easier to handle?"

Jesus, if I was the CEO of Pentax, I would take a gun to my head. You develop a camera with incredible power flexibility, using commonly available AA's in a multitude of forms and available at any Walgreens, and people still complain.

If someone feels a grip does indeed make it easier to handle, just stick any battery grip on there at all for that ballast you seek.
Ira, you crack me up!