Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KX File numbering mess up

On a shoot today, I used a SD card in my KX that had previously been used in my K20d. My KX has about 2250 pictures taken on it and the K20d has 9000 clicks. After using the K20 card in the KX, my file numbering on the KX has changed to IMGP9002 etc. Is there any way to get the KX back to numbering the files according to its shutter actuations? I am worried that I may start getting duplicate file names.

thanks

09-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
On a shoot today, I used a SD card in my KX that had previously been used in my K20d. My KX has about 2250 pictures taken on it and the K20d has 9000 clicks. After using the K20 card in the KX, my file numbering on the KX has changed to IMGP9002 etc. Is there any way to get the KX back to numbering the files according to its shutter actuations? I am worried that I may start getting duplicate file names.
Just rename the last file on the card as IMGP2250 and take a picture, the sequence should restart correctly.
09-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

thanks

You will get duplicated file name after IMGP9999 anyway. It does not matter as long as the files are in a folder with different name.
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Just rename the last file on the card as IMGP2250 and take a picture, the sequence should restart correctly.
I did try this and it did not work. I did however find in the menu the Memory function. I unchecked File. Took one picture on the old card that was numbered correctly, then rechecked File. Then I took another picture and it reverted back to the old sequence. Funny, I guess I have not used a SD card in a different camera before before formatting the card.

Thanks for your help.

09-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I did try this and it did not work. I did however find in the menu the Memory function. I unchecked File. Took one picture on the old card that was numbered correctly, then rechecked File. Then I took another picture and it reverted back to the old sequence. Funny, I guess I have not used a SD card in a different camera before before formatting the card.

Thanks for your help.
Did you change the file name and put it back in the same folder that corresponding to the same day (something like 114-0909)?
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Did you change the file name and put it back in the same folder that corresponding to the same day (something like 114-0909)?
No, Actually I unchecked File. Took a picture. It came up numbered 001. I rechecked file then and the next picture I took was numbered 2245 which was the next consecutive number on the card.
09-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Two bits of advice if I may:

1. Rename IMGP to YYMMDD and you will never have to worry about duplicate names.

2. Get the free Flexible Renamer v8.2 for the above.

Flexible Renamer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

a better screen-shot is here (and I think it is where I got it):

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/english/FlexRena/
09-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There is a settings option in the Kx menu that says something along the lines of "remember file numbers" and you can choose yes or no, choose no, take a pic, then turn it back on. Or the option is something like "reset file numbers" and just reset them.

Sorry I do not have my Kx on me to get the exact phrase but this happened to me and I know for sure there is a way to reset the numbers.

09-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips. Since I am getting close to 9999 on the K20 I will explore other options for file naming. Maybe its time to sell the K20 and get the new K5.
09-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the tips. Since I am getting close to 9999 on the K20 I will explore other options for file naming. Maybe its time to sell the K20 and get the new K5.
You can customize the 4 first letters on the K20D instead of IMGP. But the best way IMHO is to rename the shots while importing them to the computer. Lightroom does this with a great deal of customization available.
09-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There are a couple of ways to get the file name back, but they must be done in sequence.

If the camera finds a higher file number on a memory card it will automatically jump to that number, that is how the OP got into trouble in the first place.

So, the way forward is as follows,
- reformat a card, (this eliminates all directories and establishes only the 100 directory and insures the follow on steps have no other images to confuse the camera)
- take a shot (you need an miage on the card)
- Remove the card, and in windows explorer rename the file with the number you wish.
- With the card removed, reset the image counter in the camera to 0001
- install the card, and take a shot, the shot should automatically set the image counter back to the image on the card.

With respect to counter roll over, and also with duplicate fime names from multiple cameras, I use the batch remame function in my editor (PSP X3) and when I download images, I download the images from each camera into a seperate directory called Transfer with a subdirectory for each camera. I then add a prefix to the image (istD- for my *istD, and K10D2 for my K10D) When I rename, I also modift the starting number for the sequence, by taking the sequential image number and adding a leading 1, the net result that the file name such as _IGP1321 if shot with my K10D would now be K10D2-11321. When the counter rolls over again I will change to add a 2 as the leading digit.

I will do the same thing wne my K7 gets to 10,000 later this year, but at least the K7 allows for custom image prefixes so it leads with _K7D already.

The reason I call my K10D a K10D2 is because I had the shutter replaced, so I consider it a different camera than it was origonally, but shooters with multiple identical bodies may wish to know in the file name which body took the shot.