Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Site Supporter

My recommendation like everyone else is to get a set of Eneloops and a smart charger that allows slow charge. Get two sets if you don't want to wait for recharges.

Quick chargers kill your battery faster, and I don't mean the charge will drop faster. All rechargeable batteries have limits on how many times they can be recharged. The extreme heat caused by quick charging increases material degradation, so the batteries will die and have to be replaced much sooner.

Also, keep a set of lithium AAs handy as a backup. They're lightweight, can handle extreme conditions, and even if you can't find an outlet, or you forgot to get a plug adapter for your charger in another country, these could probably last you your entire vacation.

My K-x actually consistently outperforms the specifications listed by Pentax. With Eneloops, I often get close to 1000 shots and the last set of lithium AAs I used lasted well over 2500 shots, including several in sub-freezing temperatures (though I don't use the built in flash).

11-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #32
Ananta Androscoggin

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
NiZn batteries are the best I've used. All the others did not work worth a c$#p, except the Lithium Ultimate by Energizer.

You will need a special charger for these .... and DON'T use them in your flash, I use them in my K-x only and they give the speed and performance of Lithiums !

wll
As this was the very first time I've run across any mention of this kind of battery, I've just been on a search-and-read spree to find something out about them. I think I'd be willing to buy one of the 4-packs with charger in order to try them out, and decide if I want to usse them for some of my equipment (perhaps my Fostek 8-track audio digital field recorder, 6-AA at a time devourer). Perhaps in photo gear, but ??? I'll eventually discover.
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ananta Androscoggin Quote
As this was the very first time I've run across any mention of this kind of battery, I've just been on a search-and-read spree to find something out about them. I think I'd be willing to buy one of the 4-packs with charger in order to try them out, and decide if I want to usse them for some of my equipment (perhaps my Fostek 8-track audio digital field recorder, 6-AA at a time devourer). Perhaps in photo gear, but ??? I'll eventually discover.
Be careful about using NiZn batteries in voltage sensitive devices. They have appreciably higher voltage than alkalines and NiMH, and can deliver high current to back up that voltage, so they have been known to burn out sensitive equipment with unregulated circuits like flashes (as wll mentioned).
11-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #34
Forum Member

I have both NiZn's and Eneloops

I prefer the eneloops. I get 800-1000 shots out of the eneloops and 400-500 out of the powergenix NiZn's