Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #16
wll
Veteran Member

For Me and My K-x

NiZn batteries are the best I've used. All the others did not work worth a c$#p, except the Lithium Ultimate by Energizer.

You will need a special charger for these .... and DON'T use them in your flash, I use them in my K-x only and they give the speed and performance of Lithiums !

wll

09-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Or take the coloured eneloops.

Had only seen the white ones. Mine are 4 of each of the two on the right end.
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are awesome! I really need some colored Eneloops, I have not seen those before. I number my sets so I keep them together but the color is really cool.

Hmm, if you have a color k-x do the Eneloops come in matching colors?
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quang010692 Quote
Hi guys,

I heard that it has some problems with battery
make sure you have firmware version 1.01
and battery type set correctly

10-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I have problems with eneloops, when I take the camera in the field for an afternoon they are depleted, or at least my k-x shows so. I do not use video or live view, because then I am without power after 15-30 min.
Of course I carry spares, so I am never really out of action, but it is an annoying feature.
I wonder why Pentax could not arrange a li-ion rechargeble battery, as they are now offering in the k-r. If they can offer one for the k-r in combination with the aa type, it should be possible to do the reverse for the k-x. A lot of critisism for the k-x and thus pentax, would dissapear.
10-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lescatalpas Quote
I have problems with eneloops, when I take the camera in the field for an afternoon they are depleted, or at least my k-x shows so. I do not use video or live view, because then I am without power after 15-30 min.
Have you updated the Firmware on the camera, this resolve some battery issue.
I use Enelops and took 400 minimum shoot with a set
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Of course I carry spares, so I am never really out of action, but it is an annoying feature.
I just spent 24 hours outdoors shooting a village and surroundings, it was quite cold (in the morning -2°C, afternoon around 10°C)
I had fully charged Sanyo NiMH 2700 and the battery indicator went red straight in the morning cold, and after it got a bit warmer the indicator turned orange/half battery,
but I managed to get 470 shot even with red indicator showing up right from the start of the day...
let me put it the classic way: It is not the camera, it is the person behind the camera ))

10-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have problems with eneloops
Are you charging your eneloops with a Sanyo-brand eneloop charger? Eneloops shouldn't be charged in a regular battery charger.
11-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #24

Maybe my mistake is that I change the batteries when the indicator goes orange or red. I never wait for the camera to shut down because the batteries are empty. I do use the latest firmware and Sanyo charger. I still would like to see a li-ion battery as for the k-r. And the aa possibilty on top, also as the k-r.
Will try the batteries until the camera stops and report how many shots I got.
11-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The k-x appears to indicate false 'low-battery' on a regular basis. This was improved with the firmware update but still occurs. Another thing that can be done to improve the reliability of the indicator is to set the battery type to NI-MH if you are using Eneloops. I think auto-detect is the default but it does not seem to work well with Eneloops.

I generally don't pay much attention to the battery indicator. I always get 400 - 500 shots on a set. When I'm going out I put fresh ones in and they always last the day. Swap them for a fresh set when I get back in.
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
I also use Sony Cyclenergy (white + orange) aside from Enerloop and it performs pretty much the same. I read that they're are actually the same.
11-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I use Energizer rechargeable NiMH and they are great. They last very long. I shot 200+ photos with the built-in flash and still had energy for 200 more photos without flash. I have them for 1 year now.
11-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #28

Nobody likes the idea of a li-ion battery for the k-x as an option? That basically is my question. I get along with aa's but a day for a battery pack is just too short. I would happily buy a li-ion pack if it was available.
My son has a modern Nikon (sorry about the dirty word) and his li-ion battery lasts for a month making thousands of pictures, not just 400. Sometimes I am jealous, only about the battery life though. (my pentax does more for less)

I also have a set of energizers 2450mah, they perform just as well as the eneloops.

my camera is set to ni-mh battery type

Last edited by lescatalpas; 11-01-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: adding more info
11-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

To chime in: the Eneloops work great for me too, the generic 2500 mAh nimh's I initially got got me Googling for a known problem with the battery indicator. A set of GP Recyko+ (low self-discharge) I got seem to be fine too with the new firmware.
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #30

A little late to this, but my 2 cents:

- Eneloops. You might also find cells which are nicknamed "duraloops", basically Duracell branded low self-discharge cells manufactured by Sanyo. I think you can pick them out by the white caps and "Made in Japan" on the label.
- Get a smart charger. One with 4 independent channels and that has overheat detection is best. The cheap ones operate on a timed cycle with fixed rates and can undercharge your cells if you vary the capacity from what it "expects" (more info here).

I have this charger and like it very much. It charges/discharges/tests and has 3 charge rates.