Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Would you upgrade from a K-x to a K-7 or keep the K-x and buy a DA* 50-135mm

I have a K-x and was thinking of buying a K-7 but also want a DA* 50-135mm Lens which would be awesome for portraits which is what I shoot and will shoot weddings also so good ISO performance would be important. Would you rather upgrade from the K-x to a K-7 or keep the K-x and buy the DA* 50-135mm? My current lens with my K-x is a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8.

09-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I have a K-x and was thinking of buying a K-7 but also want a DA* 50-135mm Lens which would be awesome for portraits which is what I shoot and will shoot weddings also so good ISO performance would be important. Would you rather upgrade from the K-x to a K-7 or keep the K-x and buy the DA* 50-135mm? My current lens with my K-x is a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8.
All your reasons lead to buying the DA* 50-135mm. What reasons do you have to upgrade to the K-7?

Personally, I'd do what you are suggesting. Better bodies will come out in the future, while lenses will stick around.
09-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd totally keep the Kx and get the lens, I people can't say enough good things about that lens, and can't say enough bad things about the K7's high ISO performance (lack thereof)

I've had a Kx and K7, and everything you hear about the ISO's are true, the Kx is incredible, and the K7 kind stinks

The best thing for me about the K7 is the WR and the stereo connector for video if you're into that thing

It doesn't seem like you have any reason to upgrade to the K7 and every reason to keep the Kx and get that awesome lens
09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Cool thanks for the input guys. I wish the build quality of the k-x would be like the k-7 and it was bigger. My k-x just seems so small and doesn't look professional and I wonder if people would question the camera if I shot a wedding....I'd like focus indicators too and an auto focus assist lamp.

09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely keep the Kx and get the lens. What versatility you gain from the lens greatly outweighs what you gain with a new body an no new lens.
09-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The DA 50-135 is a huge lens with a gold ring, a window for the distance scale and a petal shaped lens hood, also the Kx shutter is as loud as an atom bomb, I don't think anyone will question your appearance

if you're really worried about appearances though you could just use a flash bracket and a TTL cord and gain some instant "oooooh ahhhh" cred
09-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Lol the kx looks really tiny with my tamron, i cant imagine how it'd look with the 50-135mm, that loud shutter on the kx is too loud and could do without the loud slapping. It's not very discreet if you shooting the ceremony at a wedding.

09-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That lens will work with any ASP-C body, while the K7 will only last you so long.

Buy the lens and kick some butt, the KX is an awesome cam.
09-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll need a decent telephoto for weddings as 75mm won't cut it - it'd be either the 50-135 or get a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 IMO. Enjoy deciding.
09-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go with the 50-135. It'll last you longer.
09-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, maybe you can get some 2nd hand K7 and Tamron 70-200 for not so much above the 50-135 price tag?
This way you'll have two bodies with really good lenses and a continuous, non-overlapping 28-200 range... This is a must for weddings, where you don't really have time to swap lenses...
I'd pair them this way : K7+28-75 and Kx+70-200... I know, the Kx will look like the lens rear cap at this point, but his way you'll get an even use of the iso capabilities of both cameras.

I'd say that you're looking at around 1100€ used for the K7-tamron set against 950€ new for the 50-135... Well worth it in my view.
09-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

I wasn't contemplating a switch to the K7, but I did just get that lens, and it is totally worth it over a body upgrade. If the K-x is not limiting you in some functional way, think about upgrading later. When you do decide to, you will have that lens in your kit already.
09-10-2010, 05:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7 is so much a better camera than the k-x, its just not funny. I have both. The K-x is a toy in comparison, and I don't mean just because of the candy colours. Yep it has a better high ISO response. Thats it. The K-7 FEELS like a real camera, it ACTS like a real camera, it PERFORMS like a real camera, it has all manual controls like a real camera. It doesn't bother itself with PnS type gimmicks on the dial. There is no comparison between them. The K-x is tiny, any lens greater in weight than the stock 18-55 is out of balance. I have a large selection of lenses, would I mount a long lens on the k-x? no way, it is just a silly proposition.

The K-x is a wonderful entry level camera, possibly at its time, the best ever at the level, but it is not a patch on the use and durability of a k-7. I'll take the noise/grain of higher ISO every time over the tiny/toy feel of the k-x.
09-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
The K-7 is so much a better camera than the k-x, its just not funny. I have both. The K-x is a toy in comparison, and I don't mean just because of the candy colours. Yep it has a better high ISO response. Thats it. The K-7 FEELS like a real camera, it ACTS like a real camera, it PERFORMS like a real camera, it has all manual controls like a real camera. It doesn't bother itself with PnS type gimmicks on the dial. There is no comparison between them. The K-x is tiny, any lens greater in weight than the stock 18-55 is out of balance. I have a large selection of lenses, would I mount a long lens on the k-x? no way, it is just a silly proposition.

The K-x is a wonderful entry level camera, possibly at its time, the best ever at the level, but it is not a patch on the use and durability of a k-7. I'll take the noise/grain of higher ISO every time over the tiny/toy feel of the k-x.
+1
09-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Cool thanks for the input guys. I wish the build quality of the k-x would be like the k-7 and it was bigger. My k-x just seems so small and doesn't look professional and I wonder if people would question the camera if I shot a wedding....I'd like focus indicators too and an auto focus assist lamp.
The only people to whom it will matter are people that are "into" photography and try to justify their investment. Uncle Dan will say "A Pentax K-x! And you're supposed to be a photographer?! I spent ten grand on a Nikon D3 kit!")

Just ignore them. To the bride, groom, and everyone else that cares about the photos, the camera makes absolutely no difference. I know of at least one photographer who makes her living shooting weddings using nothing but DISPOSABLE cameras, it's part of her style. Her name escapes me at the moment, but she's a fairly famous photographer.