Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-x and possibly K-r would be better for landscapes than the K-7. Due entirely on its amazing dynamic range. We don't know if the K-r will be as good as the K-x yet btw.

09-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
OK, I have a couple of K200D's that I use for all around studio, landscape stuff, and with the announcement of the K-r I was thinking of replacing them with the new K-r ...... but ...... when the price really drops off the K-7, and it is less than the K-r that changes things a bit.

The built quality of the K-7 is superb and ISO 3200 is OK, much better than the K200D's for sure. The K-7 would make a great all around camera, it just would not have the high ISO ability or the new HDR feature of the K-r (which I REALLY like, along with others).

Like I said, I luv the feature set of the K-r, but I'm thinking of value for $ spent vs what will THAT camera be used for. Remember the K200D's were crap high ISO performers (compared to what is out there now, including the K-7).

This decision has nothing to do with the K-5, which sounds great :-)

See what you have done to me Pentax :-)

wll

I would wait a bit longer.
09-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
K-x and possibly K-r would be better for landscapes than the K-7. Due entirely on its amazing dynamic range. We don't know if the K-r will be as good as the K-x yet btw.
Is the range bad on the K-7, I am very much into landscape, I am not sure I would be happy with a K-r. Would not be much if a step up features wise from my D40.
09-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #19

I paid 2 G's Australian or just about for my K7 only just over a year ago $US700 is a bargain.

09-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If you will be happier with the K-r for longer, is the K-7 really such a good deal at the price you are willing to buy it at?

Thank you
Russell
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

£700, which is $1,073, that is the cheapest UK price at the moment.

We get ripped off over here, international companies just see us as easy pickings!

Last edited by Lloydy; 09-11-2010 at 03:16 PM.
09-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Inactive Account

The K-7 at $700 USD is an amazing deal. I bought mine at launch price and don't regret it at all - it's an amazing camera and absolutely light years ahead of the K10D.

As for dynamic range...the K-7 is very good.

Please don't disregard other benefits over the K-r/K-x like weather sealing, top lcd, dual wheels and amazing ergonomics. The ergonomics and the fact that the shutter is nearly silent are the only reason I didn't move to the D700.

c[_]

09-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

If they drop far enough, Pentax may actually get some money out of a cheapskate like me!
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paid $760.00 from B&H last fathers day special.
With the grip and extra battery, came out to $ 1001.68.
No regrets.
09-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #25
emr

Damn. I have a semi-functioning K200D and a K20D and have so far skipped buying the K-7. My plan has been to either buy a K-5 when the price drops a bit or perhaps an EVIL if Pentax releases one that could use K mount lenses. Now I noticed that my nearby store has just reduced the price of a K-7 body by nearly 100€ to about 790€, which IS tempting. I don't expect it to get much cheaper until it disappears totally from the stores. And if the initial street prices for a K-5 are over $1500 (provided the MSRP is correct), there's quite a price difference. But is the K-7 really enough of an upgrade from a K20D for me and would I still lust for that K-5. Decisions, decisions...
09-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I have a couple of K200D's that I use for all around studio, landscape stuff, and with the announcement of the K-r I was thinking of replacing them with the new K-r ...... but ...... when the price really drops off the K-7, and it is less than the K-r that changes things a bit.

The built quality of the K-7 is superb and ISO 3200 is OK, much better than the K200D's for sure. The K-7 would make a great all around camera, it just would not have the high ISO ability or the new HDR feature of the K-r (which I REALLY like, along with others).
Wll, the K-r and eventually K-5 are fresh out of the oven, so to say. That means a number of things:

1. Yet unknown performance.
2. Yet unknown bugs/quirks of new/improved technology elements
3. Yet unknown actual prices.

K-7 however is rather well-known with all its issues, advantages and disadvantages. If you could, perhaps the best course of action is to wait a little until you will get a more clear picture of these new cameras. If you absolutely have to buy right now, then of course you don't have an option of buying K-r or K-5.

Personally, I have K-7, having upgraded from K10D and I am happy about it. Though I am as happy about K10D.

The only thing I could tell is this. From my own experience. When, back in 2002, me and my wife decided it were Pentax for us, we had to choose which model to buy. Being a computer geek and gadgeteer I chose MZ-6 for its supposedly superior specs (over MZ-5). But a year after I bought this camera, I, this time more consciously, bought ME Super and did not use MZ-6 all that much ever since. Reason - no need for all the bells and whistles, but viewfinder of ME Super was critically better for me than that of MZ-6.

So, I humbly suggest you take your time, make your thinking, weigh your reasons and make the best choice for you. But don't be fooled by superior specs. For all I care, K10D is still mighty fine camera that takes brilliant pictures. That is, if I don't screw up behind the camera.
09-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #27
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After much deliberation and whiskey I think I have decided;

K-r and K-5 look like they belong in my arsenal, but I've got to get rid of a couple of cameras along with that, but I love um all :- )

Like I said in other post the K-200D's are likely to go :-(

I will keep my K20D's as they are very good cameras indeed and they will replace the K200D's that I'm selling. (My middle level cameras will step up) The K-5 will be my king of the hill camera !

I will get rid of my DS at work and hand over my K-x for in house stuff ..... that will be replaced by my K-r :-) (again my lower level just moved up a notch).

Now all I have to do is sell my car, remortgage my house, and get a second job so I can afford this crazy hobby :-)

wll
09-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #28
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Wll, the K-r and eventually K-5 are fresh out of the oven, so to say. That means a number of things:

1. Yet unknown performance.
2. Yet unknown bugs/quirks of new/improved technology elements
3. Yet unknown actual prices.

K-7 however is rather well-known with all its issues, advantages and disadvantages. If you could, perhaps the best course of action is to wait a little until you will get a more clear picture of these new cameras. If you absolutely have to buy right now, then of course you don't have an option of buying K-r or K-5.

Personally, I have K-7, having upgraded from K10D and I am happy about it. Though I am as happy about K10D.

The only thing I could tell is this. From my own experience. When, back in 2002, me and my wife decided it were Pentax for us, we had to choose which model to buy. Being a computer geek and gadgeteer I chose MZ-6 for its supposedly superior specs (over MZ-5). But a year after I bought this camera, I, this time more consciously, bought ME Super and did not use MZ-6 all that much ever since. Reason - no need for all the bells and whistles, but viewfinder of ME Super was critically better for me than that of MZ-6.

So, I humbly suggest you take your time, make your thinking, weigh your reasons and make the best choice for you. But don't be fooled by superior specs. For all I care, K10D is still mighty fine camera that takes brilliant pictures. That is, if I don't screw up behind the camera.
Boris;

A very good post and well thought out, yes I will wait a bit to see if they are as good as the press says they will be.

Thank you for your insights.

wll
09-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #29
Forum Member

Now all I have to do is sell my car, remortgage my house, and get a second job so I can afford this crazy hobby :-)

wll
If you do that you will easily afford the 645D, which will make us deeply envious
09-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Update on the K7 deal. Found out the $700 doesn't include anything normally included with deals from B&H, Adorama, etc. I'm talking about things you also need to begin taking pics. By the time I added battery, charger, etc., it would be as much or more as the name retailers. Found all this out during a phone call from this company, during which they tried to high-pressure me into buying all kinds of stuff and lied to me about the price other places were charging for a K7 battery. I cancelled the order and think these guys are not absolutely ethical.