Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcboxer Quote

I'd like to see a high quality 18-135mm zoom. The 17-70mm f/4 could be improved with better optics. But instead they spent "R&D" funds on two new bodies.

Oh well, that's probably why the legendary Pentax name lags behind in sales. That and too many "gimmick" ideas like "Leggo Cameras".
Without decent bodies then without new customers then there's no new buyers for lenses . The remaining Pentaxians also want better bodies to bring out the best of their premium lenses .

09-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fully support new bodies and staying competitive. I was merely pointing out that it shouldn't be of much suprise that the k5 was better then the k7.
09-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I switch when my stuff breaks on me, but i have to say im very pleased over having my k20d break on me
09-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
Inactive Account

What bandwagon?

QuoteOriginally posted by 96p993 Quote
Couldnt agree more (though it seems you did jump on the latest and greatest bandwagon recently)...I was always taught to not replace until I outgrew (size, skill, etc) what I have now. Why not spend the money on lenses and become better are taking photos then hoping the higher fps, better AF system, etc will make you a better photographer???
I bought a pentax in December, and recently upgraded my Canon 40 to the 7d. FYI The canon 40d was priopr to the 60d, and 50d. The 7d is significanly more advanced and 18 megapixals. So is that ok with you?

09-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Sigma does make a 18-135mm for pentax. i would like to see a high grade optic design. Too me it seems likethe perfect "walking around" lens, but no one seems to do a good design. My 7d came with Canons new 18-135mm, but unless it's stopped down to f/8, it's not a great producer. It's all in the optics

I still think the K7 is one of the best Digital cameras available, the features it offers are superior to a lot of others. Plus, the price makes it afforable to a lot of photographers, who would be getting "Rebels" that are no match for the K7. If the K5 is priced out at $1500-1600, they are going to "Price out" a lot of people. I think at $750, the K7 is a great camera that a lot of people could afford, and "grow up with"

It amazes me that one year Pentax is trying to captue the entry level market, and the next they want to go head to head with the Canon 7d and Nikon d300s. ESpecially after they spent all that R&D money on the K7, and K-x. Just my opinion

I don't think the k5 will be able to compete with the replacement for Nikon's d700. First off the D700 is a "full frame" DSLR. Plus Nikons metering is one of the best in the world. They practically invented matrix metering.
09-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
music_lover

I am curious, will the K-5 kick the D7000's butt or about evenly matched. Nikon D7000 is supposed to be 6FPS with 39 AF points, and will be released on Septrmber 15th, 2010
Tell me what ya'll think. Let's have a discussion:
09-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
I originally wanted a K-7, but there was something inside me told me to hold on. That instinct is what I listend to.
As I had said before, my first DSLR was a Pentax, the Pentax istDL which I sold it to my Brother, now dying to have another. And with the New Flashes coming out in 2011. Pentax might just start getting bigger and better, and maybe a whole bunch of attention from Lens makers
Is there such a thing as Pentax 18-135mm Lens? is it new? or old? hasn't been released yet? or what?
K-5 Body
16-50mm lens or the above 18-135
55-300
Battery grip
maybe a couple of primes: 50mm, 85mm what evers good for Portraits, cause that's usaually what i'm doing most of the time other than motor sports (car racing and motocross and stuff like that):ugh:

i was also wanting the K7 but decided to wait on the K5, but now the Nikon D7000 looks better
Dave
T&T

09-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, I think that the K7 was a better handling camera, it feels nicer than most canons and nikons. And the K5 will be weather sealed and 8 fps sounds very sweet.

But Pentax has a history with bad AF functions, so the deciding factor for me would be ISO performance. If the D7000 improve substantially on the D90's low light performance, it would be a very hard decision indeed.
09-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #24
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
For me, I think that the K7 was a better handling camera, it feels nicer than most canons and nikons. And the K5 will be weather sealed and 8 fps sounds very sweet.

But Pentax has a history with bad AF functions, so the deciding factor for me would be ISO performance. If the D7000 improve substantially on the D90's low light performance, it would be a very hard decision indeed.
K-5 specs say: IMPROVED AF, so how can it be bad? And also, K-7 wasn't to bad, since it beat the Sony A700 in AF Performance?
09-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
decided to wait on the K5, but now the Nikon D7000 looks better
It does? Looks more or less the same to me. Shake reduction traded for a few more auto focus points... Cept we dont know the full specs for the k-5 yet.
09-17-2010, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

The K-7's AF is definitely snappier than the K20, and even better with the new firmware. However I never understood why people say the K-7 isn't as good with the competition's in low light. I've been able to get a fix on subjects lit with candles!
I think it has more to do with the lack of contrast rather than light. I've tried to focus on a solid white wall in full daylight and all the lenses cycle over and over. Same thing happens with trying to focus on a subject in black satin. But you give it almost any kind of contrast in your focus area and it'll lock. That's definitely fine by me!
09-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #27
Forum Member

Having migrated from a k-x to a k-7 (not intentionally, my k-x fell apart after taking a little fall), I'd say that I'm very happy with the k-7. I absolutely love the quiet shutter, and I love its compactness. It is much sturdier built than the k-x.

I think for $750 one would be hard-pressed to find a better camera... As to lens selection - it's true that Canikon has a lot more lens, but for my modest non-pro requirements, the Pentax line of lens is more than sufficient.

I'm sure k-5 is a superior camera. It's also more expensive. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade from a k-7 thou - right now I'm limited by my abilities, and not by the camera, I don't see that changing anytime soon...
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #28

I have a K10D and at this point my ability does not out stretch the caperbilities of the camera. I would prefer to invest in good quality lenses before upgrading the body. To upgrade the body, I would wait for at least 4 model changes and understand the benefits of doing so.

K10D - > K20D -> K-7 -> K-5 -> what ever is next...

There is also the prospect of buying the previous model at a discount as stocks start running low
09-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
However I never understood why people say the K-7 isn't as good with the competition's in low light. I've been able to get a fix on subjects lit with candles!
I most definitely agree with you. I've always found the low light focussing to work just fine on my K7. And in normal light it is quick and accurate.
09-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

what the hell with the focus points? what do you guys use your camera for that you need so many?
damn what a simple number can do, and the camera isn't even out yet.