Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
music_lover

K-7 seemed nice, but K-5 nicer

I originally wanted a K-7, but there was something inside me told me to hold on. That instinct is what I listend to.
As I had said before, my first DSLR was a Pentax, the Pentax istDL which I sold it to my Brother, now dying to have another. And with the New Flashes coming out in 2011. Pentax might just start getting bigger and better, and maybe a whole bunch of attention from Lens makers
Is there such a thing as Pentax 18-135mm Lens? is it new? or old? hasn't been released yet? or what?
K-5 Body
16-50mm lens or the above 18-135
55-300
Battery grip
maybe a couple of primes: 50mm, 85mm what evers good for Portraits, cause that's usaually what i'm doing most of the time other than motor sports (car racing and motocross and stuff like that):ugh:

09-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No such lens- sorry! There was an 18-250mm (DA Tamron rebadge, discontinued) and a 28-135mm (full-frame A lens)

Check the https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the K5 is as good as the rumored spec said it to be, it would be one very appealing dslr in direct competition with the 60d and the new nikon d90 replacement.

the weather seal of the k7 + an expanded ISO + 8 fps looks like a dream come true.
09-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Don't forget the improved AF .

09-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought the K5 was placed against the Canon 7D and nikon D300s?
09-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It would easily challenge the 7D or D300s or D400 (coming)
09-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

not to sound cynical, but should it be of any suprise the k5 is better then the k7. You have to jump into the market at some point, and those who have k7's will be chiming in 1.5 years how they were glad they held off on the k5 and got the k3 or whatever they decide to call it.

09-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
music_lover

Well looking at pictures between k-7 and the new k-5 coming, i see several differences.
Have a look:
Speculated Photo and Specs Leaked of the Pentax K-5 | Helablog

1. The Grip on K-5 is not as round, and may be a little thicker then k-7
2. Mode Dial is Different and taller on k-5
3 dial on grip of k-5 looks different then k-7
and so on

Last edited by music_lover; 09-11-2010 at 11:47 PM.
09-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Wow, I'm always amazed at how many people chase the "newest" thing to come out. Faster better, etc. It's funny how many reviews I've read on the K-7, that actually placed it equal to to the 7d. I own a 7d, and a K-7. The K-7 is a damm nice camera, it can hold hold it's own with the best of them. Maybe, we should be more concerned with "developing" our own photographic skill and ability? I'm no expert, and I know I can still learn a lot.

Buying a new Body won't make me better. But camera makers want you to think it will. It makes you wonder how people ever managed in the days of manual focus?

Personally I'd rather have Pentax put the R&D money into better and better lens. Instead, they introduce new bodies to replace highly respected bodies that are only a little over a year old. How about a decent "full frame" sensor camera, at a reasonable price.

I'd like to see a high quality 18-135mm zoom. The 17-70mm f/4 could be improved with better optics. But instead they spent "R&D" funds on two new bodies.

Oh well, that's probably why the legendary Pentax name lags behind in sales. That and too many "gimmick" ideas like "Leggo Cameras".
09-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcboxer Quote
Wow, I'm always amazed at how many people chase the "newest" thing to come out. Faster better, etc.
As amazing as it is, its become a part of life: vehicles, computers, pleasure craft etc.

Having said that, I think the discrepancy in all of that ends-up being where existing product owners(owners) inevitably feel pressured toward upgrading or facing obsoletion as a result.

At least that's how I see it.
09-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Is there such a thing as Pentax 18-135mm Lens? is it new? or old? hasn't been released yet? or what?
As far as I remember, there is Sigma 18-125 for K-mount.
09-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm always amazed at how many people chase the "newest" thing to come out. Faster better, etc. It's funny how many reviews I've read on the K-7, that actually placed it equal to to the 7d. I own a 7d, and a K-7.
LOL
09-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #13

Wow, I'm always amazed at how many people chase the "newest" thing to come out. Faster better, etc. It's funny how many reviews I've read on the K-7, that actually placed it equal to to the 7d. I own a 7d, and a K-7. The K-7 is a damm nice camera, it can hold hold it's own with the best of them. Maybe, we should be more concerned with "developing" our own photographic skill and ability? I'm no expert, and I know I can still learn a lot.

Buying a new Body won't make me better. But camera makers want you to think it will. It makes you wonder how people ever managed in the days of manual focus?

Personally I'd rather have Pentax put the R&D money into better and better lens. Instead, they introduce new bodies to replace highly respected bodies that are only a little over a year old. How about a decent "full frame" sensor camera, at a reasonable price.

I'd like to see a high quality 18-135mm zoom. The 17-70mm f/4 could be improved with better optics. But instead they spent "R&D" funds on two new bodies.

Oh well, that's probably why the legendary Pentax name lags behind in sales. That and too many "gimmick" ideas like "Leggo Cameras".
Couldnt agree more (though it seems you did jump on the latest and greatest bandwagon recently)...I was always taught to not replace until I outgrew (size, skill, etc) what I have now. Why not spend the money on lenses and become better are taking photos then hoping the higher fps, better AF system, etc will make you a better photographer???
09-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I love Pentax as much as the next guy around here, but K7 is just not comparable to a Canon 7D. If the specs for the K5 are true, then it has a shot at direct competition against the 7D.

As for now, I still think the K5 will mostly match up against the Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000/D90 replacement.
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I'm always amazed at how many people chase the "newest" thing to come out. Faster better, etc. It's funny how many reviews I've read on the K-7, that actually placed it equal to to the 7d. I own a 7d, and a K-7
Thats good to know. I am still planning on buying a K7, no way I am buying a camera when its released. I am sure this is till a big upgrade from my Nikon D40 features and Noise wise, I agree its not the camera that makes you better, but a nice one can sure help.