Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really want to see some glowing reviews of the K5 before I bite. I already have the K20D (bought used) and had thought about the K7 instead, but was not overly impressed with the specs compared to the K20D (having video capture ability is not a main feature i'm looking for). In the K5, though, if it lives up to it's specifications, I just may buy one for Christmas - or sometime in February.

I'm more interested in the DA L 2.4 35mm lens also due for release. I missed my chance at getting a 35mm limited, but at $200-ish the DA L 35mm is well within budget.

09-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I will have to sell my 3 Canon 1Ds Mklll's. Should easily get at least $150 each.
I think that if you sold off all three bodies, you would have enough money for the 645D and a K-5! Refurbished ones were fetching over $4700, so that equates to $12k which is enough for both of Pentax's top cameras.

I see your point Nubi... K-7 owners may wait out on the K-5, but for K10D and K20D owners I think it's a good time to upgrade. The difference between the K20D and K-5 will be significant especially all the high ISO shooters and sports photographers would greatly benefit form the additional fps and high ISO improvement in the K-5. While for K-7 owners, only high ISO will probably be a significant improvement.

I will either buy a K-r or a K-5 depending on my needs and fund availability as my K100D's resolution is not up to par with the glass I have acquired :-). Getting a K-r or a K-5 will not make me a better photographer! in fact it may only highlight my errors more clearly!

Just my thought on it...

theperception2008
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
While for K-7 owners, only high ISO will probably be a significant improvement.
The K5 autofocus should certainly be improved over the K7. The question is by how much?

Hope they redesigned the K7's miserable SD card slot and door as well.
09-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well...I may actually bite the bullet and actually pay for a camera...

The K5 is looking awfully appealing to me. I think that I will pick one up when it comes out, as well as the grip. I have a feeling it is going to be a real keeper.
You must know something that we don't? :ugh:

JP

09-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #35

TBH, the K5 is the first cam rumour in a while that had me say "I WANT ONE!". My K10D now has well over 60k actuations and a lot of hotpixels but is more than usable - and will be better after another mapping. I want the high FPS rate and excellent ISO performance at 1600+ - then I can stop dreaming about a 645D. The K5 may just be in budget.....

True, the K-r is more the replacement for a K10.

If it's not up to rumor spec, I may well go D700s or 7D. I'm not that wedded to Pentax.

Bret
09-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #36
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope to hear your report on the K-5, when you get it Ben...

QuoteOriginally posted by bretti_kivi Quote
TBH, the K5 is the first cam rumour in a while that had me say "I WANT ONE!". My K10D now has well over 60k actuations and a lot of hotpixels but is more than usable - and will be better after another mapping. I want the high FPS rate and excellent ISO performance at 1600+ - then I can stop dreaming about a 645D. The K5 may just be in budget.....

True, the K-r is more the replacement for a K10.

If it's not up to rumor spec, I may well go D700s or 7D. I'm not that wedded to Pentax.

Bret
If you've been happy with the K10D, odds are you'll find the K-5 a vast improvement in every aspect, and you'll be well pleased with it. It will offer you all that you asked for, and be in a price range much less than a 645D. But if you're willing to drop the bucks on a D700, you may as well - FF, amazing AF, high ISO performance - hard to beat...
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I really want to see some glowing reviews of the K5 before I bite. I already have the K20D (bought used) and had thought about the K7 instead, but was not overly impressed with the specs compared to the K20D (having video capture ability is not a main feature i'm looking for). In the K5, though, if it lives up to it's specifications, I just may buy one for Christmas - or sometime in February.

I'm more interested in the DA L 2.4 35mm lens also due for release. I missed my chance at getting a 35mm limited, but at $200-ish the DA L 35mm is well within budget.
Well here's an example of a non-newbie going for the 35/2.4 ...
Look forward to your review of the little plastic fantastic...
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Yeah, me too. I've already saved 200 euros towards it.
I have Platinum Amex....LOL (kidding i have gas card)

The big purchases everyone's missing are the new lenses Pentax will be making to keep up with the newer bodies...that's where Pentax has to make money, sentiments are nice but a company cannot grow on sentiments...those new lenses will have to cost us an arm an leg, we're slowly seeing them now but this is where Pentax is at crossroads, "how to manufacture new but excellent optics with value" ...plastic bodies maybe just the answer.

Last edited by Clicker; 09-14-2010 at 02:47 PM.
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The K5 is looking awfully appealing to me. I think that I will pick one up when it comes out, as well as the grip. I have a feeling it is going to be a real keeper.

Me too. I've been shooting with the K10 for about 4 years now. saved up for the K7 when I heard rumor of the newest camera coming in September. Waited to hear the rumors and I think I'll wait on the K5 myself. To me the high ISO capabilities and the quicker AF sold me. I have no complaints (Well, very few) with my K10 and it has served me well. But with taking my business a step further and getting into wedding photography, I think a K5 is a must (at least that's what I"m telling the husband )
09-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #39
Inactive Account

It sounds like a great camera but I'll wait for the next one or maybe even the next one. It all depends on the condition of my K-7 and a possible FF release.
09-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I have Platinum Amex....LOL (kidding i have gas card)

The big purchases everyone's missing are the new lenses Pentax will be making to keep up with the newer bodies...that's where Pentax has to make money, sentiments are nice but a company cannot grow on sentiments...those new lenses will have to cost us an arm an leg, we're slowly seeing them now but this is where Pentax is at crossroads, "how to manufacture new but excellent optics with value" ...plastic bodies maybe just the answer.
Just send me the Number and Pin Number...Just want to make sure it is working properly
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Me too. I've been shooting with the K10 for about 4 years now. saved up for the K7 when I heard rumor of the newest camera coming in September. Waited to hear the rumors and I think I'll wait on the K5 myself. To me the high ISO capabilities and the quicker AF sold me. I have no complaints (Well, very few) with my K10 and it has served me well. But with taking my business a step further and getting into wedding photography, I think a K5 is a must (at least that's what I"m telling the husband )
Hmmm....how to justify this to the wife.
09-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #42
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
You got it Beth.
It'll be a fine investment into your business.
If you thought the K10D was a fine camera (and it is), then the K-5 will be a vast improvement in every way.
All the best!
09-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the (rumored) specs quite a lot. Assuming the AF is an improvement and the high ISO works, I'll likely buy one.
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I'll wait until it actually comes out to think about a purchase. I have other more pressing things for the near future, like aging computers that have been upgraded as far as possible but aren't cutting it anymore. In a year or a little longer the price should be dropping and I'll have saved enough to buy one without using plastic.
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I can see how terribly attractive this camera can be to someone who passed up on K-7. If one currently has K-7 like myself, I am not sure what the appeal is, but on the other hand I understand that we have different needs. It is just that I am so sold on K-7. I have no complaints whatsoever. But then, I don't auto focus, and I have never shot in burst mode, and I don't typically shoot in ISO higher than 400. So I know that my opinion does not count (it never counts).
Pretty much the same here. MF most of the time. I am more than comfortable with ISO 800, and rarely use 1600.

The way I see it, once the K-5 comes out, the price of the K-7 may go down, which would make having a 2nd K-7 body more affordable. Same goes with the K-x and Kr. If we really just want the high ISO performance, why not just get a K-x to go with the K-7 and spend the saved money on more glass.