Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I want the K5

Well...I may actually bite the bullet and actually pay for a camera...

The K5 is looking awfully appealing to me. I think that I will pick one up when it comes out, as well as the grip. I have a feeling it is going to be a real keeper.

09-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a K-7 currently, Ben? If so, the grip will likely remain compatible with the K-5

I'm definitely getting the K-5 as well when it comes out. Given that the sticker price will end up being $1649, I expect it to end up costing $1400-1500 once it's released at retailers such as B&H and Adorama. If I sell my K-7 (which I will- I have two), then that'll shave an extra $600 or so off the price, leaving the remainder quite affordable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

[On paper, and given the leaks are at all reliable]

I want it too, it looks to be a very capable camera. The only bad part is that while it's a very very capable camera on paper, it's not priced significantly lower than the competition, so it will have to compete on merit alone and not by price

At least in my mind the K7 on paper was a great alternative to the 7d for a fraction of the price, even if the high ISO performance and video mode weren't on par, it doesn't seem like the K-5 will follow suit....but I guess if you already have a Pentax lens collection that now you have a 7d like monster of a body to put it on
09-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Ben,

I hope you can take the time and write a review. I know I'd be very interested in your impressions, and think many others would also.

I'm pretty much convinced that I'll get one, but that's only based on the rumors. It won't be too long before we see if these rumors pan out. . .

Scott

09-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Forum Member

My normal strategy is to skip one or two versions before upgrading. So, if I was to stick to this I would buy the K5's successor (I have a K7).
But, I know when the K5 is released, I will be sorely tempted to abandon my strategy and buy the K5.
Peter
09-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Lucky for me I skipped the K7. I have my eye on the K5 for my next birthday.
09-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Skippin' it, if you don't mind ...

09-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
Lucky for me I skipped the K7. I have my eye on the K5 for my next birthday.
I also skipped the K7, and the K-5 reportedly has features whose lack kept me from being terribly interested me in the K7, but I'd really feel compelled to sell something to add another body.
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm still on a K10d, but from what I've read, a used K5 will be on my shopping list when / if the K10 expires.
09-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

if rumors are true, the specs of the K5 and the Nikon D7000 will be very similar. I think K5 will win out in FPS but D7000 will win out in AF functions (something Pentax always had an issue with). Both could be weather sealed and similar megapixels and ISO expansion.

I've been a Pentax guy, but the Nikon is very intriguing to me. I think the deciding factor would be ISO performance and AF issues. =/
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
if rumors are true, the specs of the K5 and the Nikon D7000 will be very similar. I think K5 will win out in FPS but D7000 will win out in AF functions (something Pentax always had an issue with). Both could be weather sealed and similar megapixels and ISO expansion.

I've been a Pentax guy, but the Nikon is very intriguing to me. I think the deciding factor would be ISO performance and AF issues. =/
I'm in the same camp on this one. Selling off all my gear would cover the cost of the switch. But then i may keep the K7 and Da40 plus my manual lens collection. Awaiting price, specs and reviews.
09-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm not ...holding out instead for the 645D
09-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang dude, good luck with the 645D!
09-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

The K5 is looking awfully appealing to me. I think that I will pick one up when it comes out, as well as the grip. I have a feeling it is going to be a real keeper.
Hi Ben,

For me you all ready play with the Kr and also with the K5.
Tell us more about it

Cheers,
Pedro
09-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Get two, one for the photo shoots, the other for your behind the scenes videos.