Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax camera becoing more popular ...

There have been many threads in which some Pentaxians complained that they see very few Pentax cameras around, and that they tend to see mostly Canikons. While this may be true in many cases, I had yesterday afternoon an interesting experience.

I went to watch the tidal bore of the Garonne River (see below), and there were many spectators on the bank. On the photo, the 2 most experienced surfers were able to surf the tidal bore for about 1.3 km. Most people had P&S cameras or used their mobile phones, but there were 4 dSLRs including mine: a Pentax K110D, a Pentax K-x with kit lens, my Pentax K-7 with DA18-250mm, and a Sony dSLR (I did not see the model number). No Canikon !

I feel that it is an encouraging sign....

09-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Ah, the Brisbane River.

Yeah, despite the turgid* litany from row after row of tech writers, Pentax does pretty well. The coloured cameras tend to offend their finely tuned sensibilities, but bugger me if it doesn't result in sales. I know the K-x kicked arse in Aus.

*I think your shot of the river caused that adjective.
09-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Ah, the Brisbane River.

Yeah, despite the turgid* litany from row after row of tech writers, Pentax does pretty well. The coloured cameras tend to offend their finely tuned sensibilities, but bugger me if it doesn't result in sales. I know the K-x kicked arse in Aus.

*I think your shot of the river caused that adjective.
Lithos,

For info: the picture was taken in France on the Garonne River, where I am presently. The Brisbane River has a too small tidal range to have a tidal bore. The tidal bores are restricted to estuaries with large tidal range (> 5 to 6 m) in funnel shape rivers: e.g., Cook inlet in Alaska, Daly River in Australia, Bay of Funday, Amazon river, .....

I add that the shot was 14 Mp One star and I reduced the resolution to 75dpi for posting. Basic PP with PDCU.
09-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

It's much easier to "discover" a pentax DSLR after multi-color k-x is introduced ^_^

09-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why on Earth would you want more people to discover the hidden secret that is Pentax dSLRs? Fewer lenses for the rest of us
09-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
Inactive Account

canikons are afraid of the water
09-12-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
On the photo, the 2 most experienced surfers were able to surf the tidal bore for about 1.3 km.
Wow. I mean, that's something!

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Most people had P&S cameras or used their mobile phones, but there were 4 dSLRs including mine: a Pentax K110D, a Pentax K-x with kit lens, my Pentax K-7 with DA18-250mm, and a Sony dSLR (I did not see the model number). No Canikon !
I had a similar experience here in Japan. The first twenty DSLR's I counted were surprisingly Pentax-rich.

10 Canon
6 Pentax
4 Nikon

Of course, at a different event with a lot more middle-aged dudes about, it was:
10 Canon
1 Sony
1 Pentax
1 Nikon
1 Konica-Minolta(!)
1 Olympus