Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

So why would someone want to use AA's:
+Already have some, good ones;
+Single charger for everything;
+Can use somewhere else when not shooting (regular cycling - good for NiMH);
+Can "maintain" each cell myself, when LiIon pack fails, you replace it (even if it may be just a bad contact or one cell);
+NiMH's degrade by use, LiIon's by time, my oldest AA's are from 2004 and doing just fine;
+Less possibility of investment becoming obsolete (i believe LiIons last ~2 camera generations?);
+Matured, well supported technology - e.g. good accessory range (mini travel chargers, battery cases etc);

-Not as powerful;
-4 vs 1 "thing" harder to swap;
-Healthy charge needs >5..6 hours;
-Often heavier;
-No charger and accumulator with camera (for newcomers);
-LiIon can be specifically designed or chosen to suit the camera best (maker never knows what AA's the user might stick in);

09-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by dehanson1 Quote
Thanks, Tell me. Which Ansmanns are you using in your Kx?
I dont have the original package anymore
but the label on the battery says:

Ansmann energy
1.2 V HR6
+ Digital
NiMH 2850mAh AKKU

fast rechargeable
no memory effect
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad that Pentax kept the AA option for the K-r. I just have not understood the complaints about the AAs for the K-x. Proprietary batteries are a pain on so many levels - cost, convenience, availability, etc.

Have you read these two threads on which batteries for the K-x work best?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113902-best-baterry-k-x.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/92821-bat...-take-aas.html
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #19

I've never had a AA NiMH battery puff up or explode in any of my devices, but I've had 5 proprietary (and most importantly, OEM) LiIon batteries puff up/"explode".

Two were Panasonic digital camera batteries, one was a Palm PDA battery, and two Creative Labs Portable Media Center batteries. All were genuine, OEM batteries, and not that old. This also didn't occur during charging -- they were just sitting in the devices while the devices were turned off. The second one in my Creative Labs media player destroyed the device by literally splitting it at the seams. The Panasonic ones were just a little difficult to get out of my camera. The Palm one came darn close to destroying the device, but thankfully I noticed the keyboard and on/off switch weren't working all that well and noticed the casing was bulging.

If I had it my way, I'd would put AA or AAA NiMH batteries in everything I own (if possible). Sorry, but after my experiences, I look at LiIon as the problem battery -- not NiMH. I'm pleased as punch that my KX uses AA's, and even more happy to hear that I can still use AA's in possible future upgrade cameras.

09-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

What surprises me is how will the camera camera work on 4.8 volts (4 x 1.2v for rechargeable AA) when the LI-on battery is 7.4 v.

Also 4 low discharge AAs should last longer than the propriatory battery.

4 x 1.2 x 2000 mAh = 9.6 Wh

Li-on battery = 7.8 Wh
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
500+ plus shots per charge using batteries and a charger I can share with all my other electronic devices. What's not to like?
I'm with Marc, I have lots of stuff that I use rechargeable AA's in, as well as the K-x and two Powershot point-and-shoots. I always have a couple of sets charged and ready to use.
09-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for Eneloop AA Batteries (I use Sanyo). Rarely run out during a session. Emergency alkalines are available everywhere. Same battery in all my cameras (Fuji and Canon P&S plus Pentax DLR).

09-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I have to say, Sanyo Eneloops have been my K-X's favorite buddy... I barely need to charge it and I get about 600-800shots per charge in 1 set... It's amazing... The K-R seems pretty cool too...Higher FPS and Auto Pict mode... I'm only wondering if it's the same sensor as K-X...

According to DxOMark sensor comparison. The K-X is at the top... (K-R hasnt been scored yet)
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dehanson1 Quote
Why would anyone actually WANT to use AA batteries in a K-r? The K-x eats them up like peanuts and is one of my biggest gripes about the camera. Ill probobly buy a K-r if for no ther reason just to get away from AA's. Better off buying an extra lithium than actually reverting to aa's. I dont get it why they would offer the camera at all with a AA adapter, unless of course its just to cash in on selling adapters?
Because AA batteries are a lot more convenient than the rechargeable lithiums. You can buy AAs pretty much anywhere but you cannot charge a dead lithium almost anywhere. I think the AA adapter for the Kr is a great idea. Now you get the best of both worlds. The longevity of the lithium and the convenience of a AA in case of an emergency.
09-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #25
Raylon

I am a huge fan of my AA's in my K200. I recently shot over 2000 pictures on my 8 AA's in my camera, and when I got home, the batteries were just under half power. And those were just standard Energizer rechargeables. I had my Eneloops as backups, but they hardly get use!
09-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

So far, K-r is the only DSLR (and probably the first one) that offer both options.... I think that should keep users happy on both camps.

I used to have the K100D, I have no problem using the Eneloops.
09-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
So why would someone want to use AA's:
+Already have some, good ones;
+Single charger for everything;
+Can use somewhere else when not shooting (regular cycling - good for NiMH);
+Can "maintain" each cell myself, when LiIon pack fails, you replace it (even if it may be just a bad contact or one cell);
+NiMH's degrade by use, LiIon's by time, my oldest AA's are from 2004 and doing just fine;
+Less possibility of investment becoming obsolete (i believe LiIons last ~2 camera generations?);
+Matured, well supported technology - e.g. good accessory range (mini travel chargers, battery cases etc);

-Not as powerful;
-4 vs 1 "thing" harder to swap;
-Healthy charge needs >5..6 hours;
-Often heavier;
-No charger and accumulator with camera (for newcomers);
-LiIon can be specifically designed or chosen to suit the camera best (maker never knows what AA's the user might stick in);
good compilation
09-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #28

what about for varta ready2use on k-x? any experience?
i am using but i can not tell all good things. (in spite of i have a good experience with same battery for other applications)
09-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #29
Banned

Oh my again try the eneloops and just for fun the coloured once.
09-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #30
Forum Member

My experiences with AA NiMh accumulators. I used Sanyo Eneloop 2000 in my two last trips across Europe ~ 2 weeks long each. On each trip has been shoot more than 900 shots + 5-7 minutes video with only one set of Eneloops. After that, camera still show yellow power level. During trip has not been used second set of Eneloops and charger too. So in future, my travel bag can be free from charger