Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10/K20 image compared to Canon 20D

I own both a k10 & K20. I have used a Canon 20D, and the Canon raws & jpgs seem brighter. Is there a compensation that can be programed in? I can fix it in Photoshop Lightroom, auto, but I would rather get the results right in the camera.
I usually shot manual and on AWB.

09-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10 and K20 have custom image settings that will allow you to control basic parameters for JPEGs. If course, you'll only have complete control if shooting RAW, but the custom image functions can make quite a difference as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

In agreement with Adam, I'd also like to add that we shouldn't overlook the lens also.
ie. some lenses produce crisp, higher contrast images while others do not.

This can be particularly apparent if you shoot raw with both systems.
09-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might want to pictures to show what you are talking about. Could be the fact that Canon cameras tend to overexpose relative to Pentax cameras. If you'd prefer your Pentax camera to overexpose a given shot similarly, that's what exposure compensation is for.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-16-2010 at 06:16 PM.
09-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, that is more of what I am trying to understand. Is it that Canon overexposes or Pentax underexposes? Do you know how much? thanks.
09-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
to really test that properly you'd have to use an external light meter and compare its result vs both cameras. Pentax plays it safe and wont clip highlights by default because there is no fixing that. I run my Pentax at +0.3 ev all the time.
09-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SParker48 Quote
Is it that Canon overexposes or Pentax underexposes?
If the Canon cost $100 more than the Pentax, is that because the Canon is expensive, or because the Pentax is cheap? If the Canon is 80g heavier, is that because the Canon is heavy, or the Pentax light? These questions are not answerable, because there is no objective standard for any of these things. Well, exposure yes, but *only* when shooting a flat surface like a gray card - and both cameras will nail that case every time. In real world situations, there are judgment calls, and different cameras make them differently. There is no right and wrong.

QuoteQuote:
Do you know how much?
Depends entirely on the specific scene, the metering mode you are using. And I'm sure there would be some situations and modes where the Pentax would come out brighter - but on the whole, indeed, Canon does tend to expose a bit brighter. Instead of expecting a generic one-size-fits-all adjustment to make just to make some other camera's subjective opinion of how bright to make scene, better to learn the basic photographic principles at play here - exposure and metering - and how your camera behaves. Then you'll know for yourself when and how much adjustment to apply.
09-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just dial in 0.3ev as a baseline exposure before yopu increasde or decrease exposure for the scene. My camera starts on +0.3Ev.