Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There have been several very good lenses mentioned so far, but to throw in a couple more options with autofocus but that will save you a couple hundred bucks is the Sigma 70 macro and the Tamron 90 macro. I have both (as well as a couple manual pentax macros and the 35 limited which are all really good) and they are very very good. In fact I had the sigma 70 once before and then sold it, but I missed it so much I bought another (not sure why as the tamron is really good also). Really sharp and great colors too. The only minor downside to this lens is that the lens hood does not attach to the lens when it's inverted for storage. It will mostly stay in place because of friction but if you're not careful, it can take a tumble. But everything else about it is superb. It has 1:1 macro capability and it has a focus limiter if you want quicker focus for non macro shooting. At around $350, it's a bargain.

Last edited by vagrant10; 09-13-2010 at 04:41 PM.
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
For Pentax, i'm not sure what i'd recommend yet...

But for Nikon, what do you think of a D200, with the savings put towards some better lenses?
09-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

To help muddy the waters even further, be sure to ask her if the size of the camera matters. When I was looking for my first DSLR, I ruled out any of the bodies that were bigger. I went with the K-2000 (K-m - this was before the K-x came out) and have really liked this camera.
09-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote
But for Nikon, what do you think of a D200, with the savings put towards some better lenses?
I think that'd actually be what I'd recommend for a person starting out with Nikon, unless video or high ISO performance is a big deal, in which case I'd say the D90 at this point. The D200 I believe has the same sensor in it as your K10D, so you can give her an idea of how the photos will look.

As for Pentax, I was going to say K-x or newly released K-r would be best but after reading her message saying she'd appreciate a solid metal camera body I'm leaning more toward recommending the K-7. I know some people with large hands don't like the K-7's size, but for me, it has the best ergonomics and build quality of any camera I've ever tried -- much better than the D90 or Canon Rebels in this area, IMO. Based on little things like that, the viewfinder, great view screen and dampened shutter sound, it just feels like a high quality camera.

09-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
1,000,000th Poster!

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
To help muddy the waters even further, be sure to ask her if the size of the camera matters. When I was looking for my first DSLR, I ruled out any of the bodies that were bigger. I went with the K-2000 (K-m - this was before the K-x came out) and have really liked this camera.
Lets muddy things up even further.

Being partial to Pentax, if she chooses Pentax, then great!

But if she's partial to Nikon, before choosing it...
Have her look at Olympus, with their good live-view and the astounding Zuiko 50mm F2.0 macro.
I heard and have seen great things.
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #21

Original Poster
Aww guys, we were doing so good there for a while. We were eliminating choices, now we're back to adding them

The D5000 is gone, so is the rebel.

The pentax Kr is still a contender I think, but it's a case of
new generation little guy (Kr) VS old generation big guys (D90,D200)

-Pentax Kr

-Pentax K7

-Pentax K20D

-Nikon D200

-Canon D50

-Nikon D90

Nikon D300 I took out of contention, I figure the minor gains would be better served with an extra lens.

D300 is bigger/tougher than D90, both a pro and con. If it was me, i'd go with the D200, I don't mind size and weight. But what about the Canon 50D? Toughness of the D200 with the size of the D90? No love for Canon on this board? haha

What do you think of the Kr? Guess we'll have to wait to get more reviews.

I added the K20D.

It's cheaper price means more lenses. It's a rugged beast too, which I like but she may not. Similar in weight/size as the D200?

The K7 seems both rugged and small in size.
09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
Inactive Account

The only non Pentax on your list I can specifically speak to is the Canon 50D. I did try one out once and it seemed a nice camera. However, if the K20d is too big and clunky for mom, so will be the Canon 50D. They are About the same in size and weight (not exact, I know, but about the same). I personally never cared for the Nikon semi pro models. Always felt like holding a big box to me. Mind you, I'm talking about a 5 minute fit and feel evaluation, not any practical experience with the cameras.

The K7 without the grip is slightly smaller than the K20d/K10d. Too small for me actually after being use to the K20d form factor for so long. Adding the grip however made it perfect for me. Mom's mileage will likely vary of course.

09-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't know as much about Canons. The 40D, 50D and 550D all seem to have fairly loyal followings, though.

09-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #24

Original Poster
What's the size difference between the Nikon D200 and Pentax K7?
09-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
D300 and K7....

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote
What's the size difference between the Nikon D200 and Pentax K7?
Hello, I found this picture of the K7 and the D300, it also included the 50D:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/Images/sidebyside.jpg

BR Jan
09-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #26
mel
Veteran Member

Personally I have the most macro fun ever with older manual lenses (helios, takumar, mamiya-sekor) and either m42 extention tubes or various adaptors (reversing ring, lens-to-lens). Those options, on a SR Pentax body, are very budget minded.