Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
White K-X at a concert - "What kind of camera is THAT?"

So on Saturday I went with my wife to John Mayer at the Cruzan Amphitheater in West Palm Beach.

I had good seats (11th row) so I brought my camera. I figured my 18-55 wouldn't get me close enough for really good shots, but nonetheless I figured I'd get a couple cool snaps.

So we get to our seats about 20 minutes before Mayer came onstage and asked a kid behind us to take a picture of us with the stage in the background. As we're looking at the picture on the screen, the security supervisor walks up and goes "Hey, what kind of camera is THAT?" I figured I was busted.

Now, keep in mind I had seen several Canikon entry level DSLR's already, and was about ready to get defensive, and just said "Pentax."

To my surprise, the guy goes "Wow, that's really cool! I've never seen a white camera body like that before. Is it new?" So I go "Yeah, I got it because I wanted a nice camera but I wanted to be different." And he was like "Cool!" and walked away.

Downplaying my interest and knowledge saved me this time, but I doubt I could've gotten away with it if I'd had anything but my kit lens on it. If you haven't shot a concert in a while, the new trend is: Detachable Lens = Professional Photography and EvilNation forbids it.

So to get the camera in, I had my wife put it in her purse, with the lens cap off, and the lens facing up, with stuff piled around the body. So when they did the cursory inspection of her purse and saw the glass, the flunkie asked his scripted question: "does that lens come off the camera?" My wife had her rehearsed answer down pat. "Nope!" and she was waved through. I had my 50mm, batteries, and wrist strap in my pockets. I'm sure I could repeat the process once my 55-200 arrives but security might bust me for real with a big black lens on the white camera.

Speaking of which, the kit lens disappointed me somewhat. I had it on center point focus and the shots seemed to be in focus through the viewfinder but when I pulled them out, most of them were OOF.

I haven't seen the shots I took with the 50 yet. I'll post up if they're any good.

FWIW, it was a good show, and he did a 10 minute version of Machine Gun/Voodoo Chile that was jawdropping. I got busted for videoing that one, but not for the opening song. He went from Chest Fever into Vultures. It was pretty cool:

09-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
So on Saturday I went with my wife to John Mayer at the Cruzan Amphitheater in West Palm Beach.

I had good seats (11th row) so I brought my camera. I figured my 18-55 wouldn't get me close enough for really good shots, but nonetheless I figured I'd get a couple cool snaps.

So we get to our seats about 20 minutes before Mayer came onstage and asked a kid behind us to take a picture of us with the stage in the background. As we're looking at the picture on the screen, the security supervisor walks up and goes "Hey, what kind of camera is THAT?" I figured I was busted.

Now, keep in mind I had seen several Canikon entry level DSLR's already, and was about ready to get defensive, and just said "Pentax."

To my surprise, the guy goes "Wow, that's really cool! I've never seen a white camera body like that before. Is it new?" So I go "Yeah, I got it because I wanted a nice camera but I wanted to be different." And he was like "Cool!" and walked away.

Downplaying my interest and knowledge saved me this time, but I doubt I could've gotten away with it if I'd had anything but my kit lens on it. If you haven't shot a concert in a while, the new trend is: Detachable Lens = Professional Photography and EvilNation forbids it.

So to get the camera in, I had my wife put it in her purse, with the lens cap off, and the lens facing up, with stuff piled around the body. So when they did the cursory inspection of her purse and saw the glass, the flunkie asked his scripted question: "does that lens come off the camera?" My wife had her rehearsed answer down pat. "Nope!" and she was waved through. I had my 50mm, batteries, and wrist strap in my pockets. I'm sure I could repeat the process once my 55-200 arrives but security might bust me for real with a big black lens on the white camera.

Speaking of which, the kit lens disappointed me somewhat. I had it on center point focus and the shots seemed to be in focus through the viewfinder but when I pulled them out, most of them were OOF.

I haven't seen the shots I took with the 50 yet. I'll post up if they're any good.

FWIW, it was a good show, and he did a 10 minute version of Machine Gun/Voodoo Chile that was jawdropping. I got busted for videoing that one, but not for the opening song. He went from Chest Fever into Vultures. It was pretty cool:
Imagine if it was the Harlequin Pentax On the other hand, in the harsh and or/dim light of the concert, the kit is seldomly usable. They should do a DA* 300mm like that and whoopy, free photos from concert.
Attached Images

09-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well one thing's for sure; no one would look at that and think "professional"
09-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just noticed that the Youtube didn't attach: