Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Cleaning a K-X Sensor..... How?

I read the "Dirty Sensor?" topic, i did a search for "sensor cleaning" went 5-6 pages back.
Giottos wont dislodge the dust. repeated dust removal activations on camera wont remove the dust particle. And yes, the particle is on my photos but not visible in the viewfinder.

When i run dust alert the spec shows up in the bottom left of the screen, always there, laughing at my attempts to get rid of it.

Still have a couple questions.

Since i dont trust myself to wrap pec-pads without getting them contaminated, i have decided to get swabs to clean my sensor.

Question 1: Swabs come in difference sizes, what size should i get for my Pentax K-X, i see that Photographic Solutions has type 1, type 2, and type 3. What one do i get, none of them mention the K-x in the descriptions, just older models. Other brands put the sizes differently, as an example "1.3" "1.6". Again, which is the correct size for the K-X? I would rather the swab be the same height of the sensor to reduce the amount of strokes to clean it.

Question 2: I would try the Pentax O-ICK1 but thats 50 dollars or more depending on where you buy it from. Are there other cleaning items out there similar to the O-ICK1 but cheaper?

Question 3: Any DIY methods? I am pretty confident in my abilities. If someone else has successfully used DIY methods to clean your sensor please do tell.

EDIT: Wuestion 4: i realize that the spec of dust is actually on the bottom of the sensor and not the top since the image is flipped. Does the left side of the dust alert screen correspond to the left side of the sensor while i'm looking at the FRONT of the camera or the BACK?

Example of offending dust particle.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Silverkarn; 09-13-2010 at 08:02 PM.
09-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's about $50 to get a camera shop to clean your sensor, so in this regard the Pentax O-ICK1 kit is a bargain, as after the first use, you are saving money each time. I had a quote for $120 to clean both my cameras and it would have meant leaving work to drop them off and then having to either wait or collect the next day.

Therefore, I bought the Pentax O-ICK1 and can confirm that it works very well and didn't damage my either of my cameras. I decided that I wouldn't trust anything that didn't have the Pentax brand inside my camera.

It's also a good option for travelling, as there is no liquid, so you can bring it in your carry on luggage.

I hear (on the internet) that this is the tool that Leica service centers uses to clean customer's cameras.
09-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Q4 - the dust alert screen shows a view with the red dot of the lens mount - use this as your guide as to where the dust is - basically, it rotates the view to suit the viewer.
09-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A camera is a system built around the sensor, if you damage it then you ruin your camera. I wouldn't skimp at all on the cleaning kit. It's super easy to use and recommended by Pentax, it's also a dry method so there's minimal risk of screwing it up

I got one without hesitation and was very glad I did

09-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For that one little spec, I would either try and shake it off (with the dust shaker) or blow it off with a rocket blower. Failing that, I would clone it out before going much further, unless it Really bugs you..

Here is some reading for you..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-se...ml#post1128045

09-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Easy and cheap...Senor Klear pen. Look it up, buy it, use it, solved.

Lens Pen - How To Use - SensorKlear

Jason
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #7

Cleaning SLR sensors

Worth a quick read:

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

09-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Q4 - the dust alert screen shows a view with the red dot of the lens mount - use this as your guide as to where the dust is - basically, it rotates the view to suit the viewer.
Thanks, i did not realize thats how it was set up, so the speck is actually on the lower left of the sensor when looking at it from the front.

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
It's about $50 to get a camera shop to clean your sensor, so in this regard the Pentax O-ICK1 kit is a bargain, as after the first use, you are saving money each time. I had a quote for $120 to clean both my cameras and it would have meant leaving work to drop them off and then having to either wait or collect the next day.

Therefore, I bought the Pentax O-ICK1 and can confirm that it works very well and didn't damage my either of my cameras. I decided that I wouldn't trust anything that didn't have the Pentax brand inside my camera.

It's also a good option for travelling, as there is no liquid, so you can bring it in your carry on luggage.

I hear (on the internet) that this is the tool that Leica service centers uses to clean customer's cameras.
Camera shop costs 35 dollars here to clean a sensor, of course the shop is 40 miles away, so i guess it all evens out. I already ordered some Sensor Swabs, and when i get 60 spending dollars saved up i will buy the O-ICK1

By the way, I would appreciate it if people would actually read the Topic instead of just posting, since i already stated that had tried a Giottos Blower and that did not help, i also stated that i already read the "dirty sensor" topic.

I tend to see this a lot in these forums. Instead of reading the post people just post what they THINK the post is about.

Last edited by Silverkarn; 09-13-2010 at 11:35 PM.
09-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Easy and cheap...Senor Klear pen. Look it up, buy it, use it, solved.

Lens Pen - How To Use - SensorKlear

Jason
Have you had success with that? I tried it on my Kx and it made my small dust problem into a severe dust problem, going from a few specks to 4 or 5 large clusters, and I did hours of research on how to properly use it before I took it to the sensor.

Thankfully it didn't damage the sensor, but I just returned it

the O-ICK1 worked perfectly for me the first time I tried to use it, and the only instruction I had was the manual and a youtube demonstration
09-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote

Question 3: Any DIY methods? I am pretty confident in my abilities. If someone else has successfully used DIY methods to clean your sensor please do tell.
I have used the sensor brush method with good results. I bought a soft nylon artists brush with very fine bristles, washed it very thoroughly in detergent and then rinsed with distilled water. After drying I gave it a static charge with a hair dryer. Then used it to gently wipe the sensor and that picked up the dust from the sensor.
There is a commercial product that many swear by
Arctic Butterfly sensor brush
but I have not tried it out.
Peter
09-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Have you had success with that? I tried it on my Kx and it made my small dust problem into a severe dust problem, going from a few specks to 4 or 5 large clusters, and I did hours of research on how to properly use it before I took it to the sensor.
Yes, I have used it once so far with my K-7 after almost a year and used it several times on my K10D and never had any problems or dust left on the sensor when I used it. I recommend it fully.

Jason
09-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thankfully it didn't damage the sensor, but I just returned it

the O-ICK1 worked perfectly for me the first time I tried to use it, and the only instruction I had was the manual and a youtube demonstration
Yeah, it works fine. You may have to repeat it a couple times, and it won't get anything that is welded onto the sensor, but the vast majority of dust it works great.
09-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Yes, I have used it once so far with my K-7 after almost a year and used it several times on my K10D and never had any problems or dust left on the sensor when I used it. I recommend it fully.

Jason
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Yeah, it works fine. You may have to repeat it a couple times, and it won't get anything that is welded onto the sensor, but the vast majority of dust it works great.
Well it must have been user error on my part then, do you use the whole cleaning kit with the loupe and the light or just the 10 dollar pen?
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well it must have been user error on my part then, do you use the whole cleaning kit with the loupe and the light or just the 10 dollar pen?
Just the pen. The loupe is a gimmick IMO.

I simply take a multi-second shot of a wall while moving the camera (with the lens on) and it will show me any spots that are still there.
09-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

hmmm, well I actually sold my O-ICK1 along with my K7, lenses ect. and all my other photo stuff when I did a huge revamp of my gear a few weeks ago

I only needed it once in my entire life, the dust removal took care of everything else, but if the time comes that I'll need to clean a sensor again then I'll try the sensorklear